• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Walked out of Goodwill with this beauty

I finally got the 1257 hooked up last week and tried it out on a $1.00 Barry Manilow thrift store album. Didn't do any adjustment on the turntable. I just wanted to drop a needle and confirm I get sound, and everything seems to work. Record began spinning. Needle dropped and played music.

Now I need to buy a tiny gram scale and a new stylus and hopefully I can crank up some vinyl.


Congrats!!

What cart is on it? :)
 
Enjoy the find and the music, as it always sounds sweeter on a bargain value piece of kit! :)

I really did not expect the turntable to "just work." I thought for sure it was going to need some work. But I figured, at a minimum I could at least double my money by selling the dust cover alone.

Considering what vintage turntables sell for, I'm really surprised this one was donated to Goodwill rather that listed on Craigslist or eBay for $100.
 
I'm not sure. I think it's the stock that came with it new, which the Internet tells me is an Ortofon Dual ULM-55E ULM55E phono cartridge. Have no idea if that's good or bad.

Neither do I, but hey if it plays you know you have a signal.

A low buck option is the LP Gear CF line. I have a few of the CF95SE carts they are nice low buck carts :)
 
nice find.....as much as I like Barry... all his records I bought had the K-TELL sound to them....wait till you put a good quality disk on there if you haven't already. what is it plugged into??
 
nice find.....as much as I like Barry... all his records I bought had the K-TELL sound to them....wait till you put a good quality disk on there if you haven't already. what is it plugged into??

This is a pic of the whole setup

a80onzG.jpg


It’s an Onkyo receiver. Can’t see the model number in the pic and I’m too lazy to go downstairs and look since I’m already in bed typing this. .
 
nice find.....as much as I like Barry... all his records I bought had the K-TELL sound to them....wait till you put a good quality disk on there if you haven't already. what is it plugged into??
When the scale gets here, I’ll be able to setup the turntable. Then I can go pick up my old albums and give them a spin.
 
You should think about removing the speakers from the table the turntable is on. You will be asking for help with feedback issues shortly if you don't. Nice table enjoy!
 
You should think about removing the speakers from the table the turntable is on. You will be asking for help with feedback issues shortly if you don't. Nice table enjoy!
That's all part of this week's setup. I'll be swapping the speakers out for some floor standing ones I have in my basement. For right now, I just want to get the thing working, before I put a non thrift store album on it.
 
Thank you! I've pretty firmly moved into the world of CDs and I am quite happy there. But there are some albums that were never released on CD, and I am getting back my old vinyl collection that I can enjpy again.
With a decent table, cartridge, and proper record care there's no reason you won't find just as much enjoyment as with CD.
 
The true love of music isn't all about convenience otherwise why see a live show.

If you don't think you're going to like it then why bother.
I didn't say I wasn't going to like it. I just won't like it as much as CD.

My current preferences is

CD->Digital (iPod, etc)->Vinyl->Cassette.

Each format has it's own unique charms and quirks. Some formats, such a 8-track and reel-to-reel I have zero interest in.
 
You could put some folded towels under those speakers in the meantime so they don't transmit as much bass to the table. Easy, zero cost and when you swap out the speakers for the floorstanders just put em back in the towel cabinet.
 
You could put some folded towels under those speakers in the meantime so they don't transmit as much bass to the table. Easy, zero cost and when you swap out the speakers for the floorstanders just put em back in the towel cabinet.

I have some foam yoga blocks lying around I was thinking of resting them on.

How do I know if I need a new needle?
 
Back
Top Bottom