• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Watkins woofer white paper

Thanks for that!

I'd be willing to bet that this is the 'final' design of the watkins dual vc driver, remember, Watkins themselves recommended the new driver over the older versions. There was a lot of hyperbole in the white paper, but also a good amount of info.
A lot of info on the emit/emim changes as well!
added to my personal collection!
Well, the aftermarket replacement DVC woofer previously sold by Watkins was specifically given part number 902-1180, so presumably designed specifically/only to replace past woofers in Infinity speakers that had this same part number woofers as OE equipment (such as Quantums). The "evolved" 12" DVC woofer version from the IRS Omega (334306-001) sounds like a very expensive and updated design, so likely would have been priced out of the replacement aftermarket in terms of design and specs. Interestingly, Watkin's Jr. provided me with a compelling reason to stick with my old Peerless-manufactured original DVC woofers as I was refurbishing my QLS-4s ("...better sonic match than later model Infinity/Watkins woofers...they were well made for technology at that time). Now in my case, my woofers were repairable, but I suppose we might interpret the term "better" in different ways. I imagine that the later Watkins polycone 12" DVC woofers (902-1180) might be of a "better" design (construction, specs, cone durability, etc.), but that might not automatically mean "better' sounding in all cases (such as mine potentially/apparently).
 
I have a copy of an article New Loudspeaker with Extended Bass written by William H. Watkins published in Audio magazine in December, 1974.

This is a technical five-page paper discussing enclosure and crossover design for the Watkins woofer, and includes pertinent graphs and formulas.

I don't know if this article is the "white paper" referred to in this thread, but I have made a PDF scan of the article.

I could post the PDF file here, but I don't know if doing so would violate any copyright laws. Does anyone know?

I can email a copy of the article on request.

Ken
I would like a copy if at all possible.
 
Back
Top Bottom