• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What a Shock: 23-year old Michael Phelps Likes to Party...

Alcohol was illegal too, but enough people broke the law that they realized it was a bad law and made way too many criminals, plus caused worse crime....

So, if enough people break the law, then maybe the law makers can see the errors of their way. They call it Civil Disobedience.. Many laws and rulings have been changed because of it.

That's how our country got started! Becaused our forefathers disobeyed laws that they thought were unjust. :yes:
 
The uproar over this is being fueled directly by the anti-drug crowd, they really don't handle it well when someone who is obviously successful get's busted for marijuana because it flies in the face of every LIE they've ever tried to promote about it.

I respectfully disagree. I believe the uproar is over the fact that he chose not to obey the law, right or wrong. Marijuana just happened to be the catalyst. I believe the results would have been the same if he had been driving drunk (again), attending a dog fight, or robbing a bank.

That's how our country got started! Becaused our forefathers disobeyed laws that they thought were unjust.

You must have read different history books than I did. The ones I used taught me that my forefathers, unhappy with the laws and religious persecution, left their countries and settled in America to start over again. And the conflicts later on were resolved by fighting (one way or the other) for what they thought was right, not flagrantly disobeying the laws.

Maybe I misunderstood.
 
I respectfully disagree. I believe the uproar is over the fact that he chose not to obey the law, right or wrong. Marijuana just happened to be the catalyst. I believe the results would have been the same if he had been driving drunk (again), attending a dog fight, or robbing a bank.



You must have read different history books than I did. The ones I used taught me that my forefathers, unhappy with the laws and religious persecution, left their countries and settled in America to start over again. And the conflicts later on were resolved by fighting (one way or the other) for what they thought was right, not flagrantly disobeying the laws.

Maybe I misunderstood.

Yes, they settled in this country, but were considered a colony of England and subject to his majesty's laws and regulations. So when our forefathers started saying no to certain taxes and laws forced on them, they actually were considered to be outright criminals in the eyes of the king. Why do you think it was called a rebellion? The British army was actively looking for these leaders and if caught they probably would of been hanged!
You need to do some more reading of this period like I have, to learn the details of the revolutionary war and the events that led up to it. This has always been the most fascinating time period of our country's history to me.
 
Well, if Phelps is on track to be our next revolutionary leader in the fight to lead us out of the darkness of our current lifestyle, and into the light of life on the next level, sucking on a bong at a party where there are cameras, while someone else is paying your way and expecting you to be law abiding, probably ain't the way to do it.

Like I said before, he can do whatever he wants. Just don't persecute the people for taking the sponsorship money away if they don't have the same views.
 
Phelps was suspended for 3 months and his $1800/mo. stipend was also taken away by USA Swimming on Thursday.

His endorsements for Kellogs Cereal and Snacks was also dropped.
 
Doubt the $5400 will even be noticed, as his two biggest sponsors, Speedo and Omega, haven't dropped him.
 
I can't believe that someone's actually lumping in smoking weed with drunk driving, dog fighting and robbing banks... REALLY??? I realize that they are all "ILLEGAL" but c'mon man... SERIOUSLY??? This isn't meant to be a political rant at all but that statement just seems wrong to me. Couldn't you have said getting a speeding ticket or J-walking or something else to make your point? Those are illegal too.
 
I can't believe that someone's actually lumping in smoking weed with drunk driving, dog fighting and robbing banks...

You just don't see it, do you? I am NOT comparing the three. Try this and see if you get it:

I'm Kelloggs and I hire YOU to be my spokesperson for a million dollars a year. One of the stipulations in the contract is that you can't wear Wrangler jeans,(for whatever reason). Nothing illegal, you just can't do it. They're owned by one of our competitors. You sign the contract, and six months later, someone snaps a photo of you at a party wearing Wrangler jeans. I void the contract. Nothing illegal, but I didn't want you to do that. Since I'm the one writing the check, I can be picky. It's MY MONEY!!!!

All of those endorsement contracts have "ethics" clauses that are set in place by the company, and you have to abide by them if you want the contract. Same as the Miss Teen or USA or whatever doing porn movies. If you sign saying you won't do it, then don't!!
 
I completely agree with you that it wasn't smart for him to do what he did financially... But it is his life and just because they are sponsoring him it does not mean that they OWN him. If they want to pull their sponsorship so be it. Maybe it's better that way because if they can't sponsor him for what he truly is (Which is a champion that smokes weed...) maybe they shouldn't have been sponsoring him in the first place. Yes they may have been paying him a lot of money but that's only because he was making them A LOT more. I'm sure they pursued him and did whatever it took to get him... Not the other way around. I'm sure he will have no trouble finding someone else to sponsor him. I know when and if a company does sponsor him I will make sure to buy that companys products if it comes down to a decision between them and the one's who dropped him.

Just so you know, I DO GET what you're talking about. My issue was with how you were trying to make your point.
 
I completely agree with you that it wasn't smart for him to do what he did financially... But it is his life and just because they are sponsoring him it does not mean that they OWN him.
"OWN" may not be the word, but they have some control, so to speak, just like your boss does at a job.

Maybe it's better that way because if they can't sponsor him for what he truly is (Which is a champion that smokes weed...)
I doubt they knew he smoked weed when they signed him up.

Yes they may have been paying him a lot of money but that's only because he was making them A LOT more.
Then there might be those folks who do NOT approve of smoking marijuana and refuse to buy the product with his endorsement. That, you and I will never know.

I'm sure he will have no trouble finding someone else to sponsor him.

No doubt. But it will probably NOT be a company that has it's main focal point is children and nutrition(?).

:thmbsp::thmbsp:
 
Redoing my original post. Wasn't Marion Jones convicted and stripped of her titles for a little bit of steroids, yet Phelps is being defended for a little bit of whatever is in the pipe?
 
I respectfully disagree. I believe the uproar is over the fact that he chose not to obey the law, right or wrong.

That's silly. So you're saying the public response would have been the same if he'd been photographed changing lanes in a car without using a turn signal? I don't think so.

kretinus has it exactly right.
 
That's silly. So you're saying the public response would have been the same if he'd been photographed changing lanes in a car without using a turn signal? I don't think so.

kretinus has it exactly right.

That's not what I said.

Everyone, in their own mind, has a different opinion of what constitutes a "bad" crime and what isn't. In my opinion, crimes against children and rape are by far more horrendous than murder, yet our judicial system doesn't see it that way.

Smoking marijuana is, as we can see from this thread, a very controversial issue. I am not saying that what he did is that bad, but I DO know that a lot of people think it is, and Kelloggs doesn't want to alienate those people by supporting it.

You make the reference to an illegal lane change, and how it compares. In 1966 when I took my test for my license, I ACED the driving part. When we got back to the DMV, the examiner gave me the sheet, and my score was 1 point above the minimum passing score. I asked her why, and she said because I had entered a blind intersection a little too quick. I questioned the huge deduction, and she told me that her daughter had been killed in a blind intersection, so she marks down heavily for that.

My point is that you never know who might be "judging" you, and in this case Kelloggs was the judge and unfortunately Phelps is paying the price, right or wrong.

I'm not saying I agree with what happened. I'm just saying I can see why.
 
Most expensive bong-hit ever.

No, I don't think what he did was a big deal, but he was a dumbass for doing it. Doesn't say much for the human sack-'O-feces that took the pic and sold it for $10K either. Deserves to have both legs broken just on general principal.
 
EW....agree.

Doesn't the world have other more important issues to worry about...?.....like the global RECESSION.......depression??
 
I heard, and if I would love to hang out with him. He seems cool, and now that I know he likes herb, he's my hero lol

But he did **** it all up. He should have done it in private. I feel bad for the guy, since he screwed up his career because some people wrongfully believe that pot is bad.

But he won 194493595508 gold medals. He's awesome. He should be able to smoke all the pot he wants for winning that many medals.


But I don't swim. In fact, I almost drown to death at the lake, and my friend saved my life. He is my best friend.


Also, am drunk. I feel I should inform you all when I'm drunk and typing a reply, sopeople don't think there's something wrong with my head.
 
That's not what I said.

Everyone, in their own mind, has a different opinion of what constitutes a "bad" crime and what isn't. In my opinion, crimes against children and rape are by far more horrendous than murder, yet our judicial system doesn't see it that way.

Smoking marijuana is, as we can see from this thread, a very controversial issue. I am not saying that what he did is that bad, but I DO know that a lot of people think it is, and Kelloggs doesn't want to alienate those people by supporting it.

You make the reference to an illegal lane change, and how it compares. In 1966 when I took my test for my license, I ACED the driving part. When we got back to the DMV, the examiner gave me the sheet, and my score was 1 point above the minimum passing score. I asked her why, and she said because I had entered a blind intersection a little too quick. I questioned the huge deduction, and she told me that her daughter had been killed in a blind intersection, so she marks down heavily for that.

My point is that you never know who might be "judging" you, and in this case Kelloggs was the judge and unfortunately Phelps is paying the price, right or wrong.

I'm not saying I agree with what happened. I'm just saying I can see why.

So is this about obeying the law or not? Apparently not.

Again, kretinus has it exactly right.
 
i can't believe this is as big as an issue as it is...

I can name attorneys and doctors and other pillars of society that i know for a fact that does this and worse...

I know of two presidents that have admitted to using drugs, and kennedy was hooked on pain killers. Just because they were prescribed doesn't mean it was right or quite legal if they were being over prescribed...

I agree.. Too many people living in glass houses to be all worked up over this...

I guess we all better give up watching baseball.. To many drug users there...

Better quite listening to music and supporting all the druggies there....

The real problem... Society... Since man has been around, they have taken some form of drug or another.. It's just been the screwed up societies that have people in it that force their beliefs on others deciding if a drug is bad or not, or if it is acceptable or not...

we all need to just learn to live our own life... most of us can't even do that with any sign of ability..

+1.
 
Back
Top Bottom