• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What Are These?

Hi all,

I own TWO pairs of Wharfedale W90's (circa 1963 vintage). The pix sure looks to be Wharfedales but, unless the W90's went through some serious changes later on, they are not W90's. Wharfedale's yes, W90's doubtful.
Note, I still need to do a REcap on the W90's. I'm hopping that once done, they'll sound better to me ears.

Regards,
SixCats!
 
I went and looked at the speakers. They ended up being about 5 miles from me. He has someone coming to look at them for $200.

The cabs a rough. There is no label or sticker on the back. The cabs are totally sealed, with access through the woofer openings. No ports. The one woofer has a cork baffle as someone else said. There are also two controls on the back by the binding post. The drivers look fair. They're awfully dirty, but no tears that I could see in the dark shop they were in. The tweets say Wharfedale on them, and the label on the front grill says Wharfedale also, but on the back of the cabs is a small metal tag that says "The Radio People, LTD. 25 Chatham Rd. Kowloon, Hong Kong, with consecutive serial numbers.

At $200, I'll wait and see if the other person buys them, but I doubt it. They're pretty rough. We'll see........................
 
Interesting. So a Japanese design using Wharfedale drivers.

I'm still kicking myself for passing on a set of open baffle Wharfedale driven set of speakers designed and built in California. I can't believe I passed on them!!! This was years ago and a still am frustrated over it :D

57_3.JPG
 
Interesting. So a Japanese design using Wharfedale drivers.


57_3.JPG

Hong Kong is geographically and ancestrally Chinese, not Japanese. It was lost/stolen/given, to the British for a century or two, and then returned to the Chinese.
Just my .02 cents.
 
i don't think so it just has a flat faced plug but still driven. I don't think any vintage Wharfedales had PR's.

If anyone needs one of those flat-faced 12" Wharfedale drivers, I have ONE of them... been sitting here on a shelf, waiting for a job for it to do...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Back
Top Bottom