• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What are these?

Register to hide this ad
I doubt were that bored.

I guess I was.:D

Some time back there was a flurtation with spekers designed to produce "omni-directional" sound. These look like they were intended to just that. In failing to get any real information on them via Google I would say that they were not a comercial success.

Shelly_D
 
I have never heard of "Vintage Leonhardt Engineering Model LH-190 "Stereo Sound Stage" Speakers" before and a Google search yields nothing but that eBay listing! Talk about an obscure speaker brand.

Those speakers look really cool, but who knows what kind of driver (or drivers) might be lurking inside. Based upon their appearance I would expect them to sound decent as they look like a quality product but they look tiny and wouldn't play very loud. They would make for unique surround speakers in a home theater system.
 

Attachments

  • Leonhardt Speakers.jpg
    Leonhardt Speakers.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
So this is an old thread but I found a set (4) of these or something similar going by the picture. Mine don't seem to have any visible model number on them and this thread is about the only thing that pops up when you Google "Leonhardt Englneering speakers". But a business phone number also turned up. So I called it.

A really, really nice but very, very old man answered. He must be the Leonhardt of Leonhardt Engineering and might be all that's left of the company. He was clearly hard of hearing, so it was slow conversing but I did manage to get a little bit of information out of him. He said it had been 40 or 50 years since they stopped making these. He didn't tell me much about the specs but did manage to remember that they took 1-A fast-blow fuses (important for me because, while I did get all 4 working, I had to do it by rotating the one non-blown fuse through each speaker). He also mentioned they had a hard time selling them as dealers didn't like them, which he said was because they cost a fraction of what speakers selling for $300 and $400 at the time did yet sounded every bit as good. I have no reference for that. These aren't amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but they sound pretty decent and, as they are super rare, are kinda cool.

It's not much from a technical standpoint but thought I'd add it in case anyone else comes across a set of these and wants a little info.
 
Reviving this older thread since I happened upon these at a garage sale a few blocks from home. The speakers are in extremely good condition, and the seller is an acquaintance, so he is holding them for me until tomorrow. I plan on taking my Lepai 2020TI 20 watt portable amp and iPod to test them before buying. I'll add my impressions and more photos if they follow me home. I don't think these will have foam issues, as I have seen photos of one of the drivers. They appear to have cloth surrounds. Interesting that they were manufactured in Rockford, IL which is just up the road from me.
IMG_0480.jpeg IMG_0481.jpeg
 
Reviving this older thread since I happened upon these at a garage sale a few blocks from home. The speakers are in extremely good condition, and the seller is an acquaintance, so he is holding them for me until tomorrow. I plan on taking my Lepai 2020TI 20 watt portable amp and iPod to test them before buying. I'll add my impressions and more photos if they follow me home. I don't think these will have foam issues, as I have seen photos of one of the drivers. They appear to have cloth surrounds. Interesting that they were manufactured in Rockford, IL which is just up the road from me.
View attachment 1611437 View attachment 1611438
Did you purchase these?
 
Did you purchase these?
I did not buy the speakers. I went back on day two of the yard sale to get them, but they had closed down due to some rain earlier in the day. The owner is an acquaintance, but I don't have his phone number. I gave mine to his wife, but he didn't call.
 
Back
Top Bottom