• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What are your oldest speakers currently in use or owned by you?

My GAMMA NLP-60a's where finished in 2014, however the LA1231 woofers are form 1992 and 94, while the VLD-12 horn loaded true ribbon speakers where introduced in the late 60's, mine are from the 70's most likely.
The box, excluding the baffle, was made in 1975.
 
I have a Jensen manufactured Bostwick tweeter from about 1935... the "type q" field coil horn...

I listen sometimes with a pair of 8" field coils marked "EARL made in England" that I don't really know much about... they are also mid 30's. They're very nice midrange units, although they definitely were intended as full-range, probably came from radios.

Those are my oldest that I actually put listening hours on... most of my listening is on speakers that predate about 1955.

I had the feeling I had already replied to this thread at some point, but I don't think I had the Earl speakers then...

I have another oddball from the same manufacturer, but just one. It's a very *EARL*y alnico haha... ha... seems they made very high quality drivers, don't know what happened to the company. Maybe dissolved during WWII? Would love if anyone had any info on the UK manufacturer "Earl." I'm aware of the "C.A Earl" branded radios, and I don't think they are related. Label is all-caps, almost Arial font, very plain... Hanover Park, London, they say...

Don't know how I ended up with multiple items from a manufacturer that seems to have no trace of existence... my luck seems bring me odd things... the pair came together from a radio-cave estate sale... just loose drivers off a shelf... but anytime you see a pair of something, you get interested cause.... that's weird for stuff that old. I've wondered if the original radio had both in one box... "fancy" for that time. Some of the most valuable radios of that era I've fixed are those with multiple drivers.
 
Last edited:
Probably my AR-4x that I bought in 1966 from a NYC shop on 47th St. driven with a Scott LK-72 I wired.

Previously (though gone) I used a Quam 12" in a homebrew enclosure driven with an EICO HF-12, then a pair of Calrad 8" duplex mounted in the bottom of plastic trashcans with the Scott (as a student).

I replaced the ARs with KLH-6 in 1967-68 driven with a Heathkit AR-15 I wired, and those with Rectilinear Xa in 1970. Those went to CA with the wife in 1977, and were replaced with Dahlquist DQ-10 with their subwoofer and electronic xovers driven with a Yamaha CR-2020. Truth is I like better the Rectilinear III I'm now using.
 
Knight KN-2250 only appeared in the 1964 Allied Radio Catalog. Consensus was that they were made by Goodmans. Used with a my Knight tube receiver and amp.
 
Back
Top Bottom