• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What are your oldest speakers currently in use or owned by you?

New purchased in 1976: Bozak CM 109 18W two way columns. I support them with a M&K mx90 subwoofer.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 18
My oldest are Acoustat Model 1's made in 1985 and serving as the rear speakers in my surround/HT setup.
 
Altec/Lansing Altec Model 1: Fabulous speakers, incredible sound and dynamics. Circa 1975. And Burhoe Acoustic Red: Great as well, circa late '70s?

Just added a pair of Avanti speakers; must be early 70's as they have screw-type terminals. Canadian made, with a small rear-firing port. 12" bass drivers that require refoaming. They are the inverted surround type. Appear to be CTS tweeters, which is why I bought them. Look like the same tweeter as my Altec Model 1. They sound very good once you have compensated for the non-existent foam surrounds. Passed them by on my first look (at $10 for the pair) but gave my head a shake and went back for them a week later. What was I thinking (other than I have too many speakers already)? The working tweeters are worth five times the price of admission! And no, I will not be scavenging them for parts. Second look shows the cabs are quite decent and these deserve a restore. A nice piece of Canadian speaker history, along with the likes of SOMA and others. Will pull a woofer and see what I've got. Keep you posted.
 
My oldest speakers are my Wharfedale W90s (1963-4?), and a Silver Tannoy 12 in EV Aristocrat cab (1958). All in constant use in main system.
 
Hi All

Mine is 1972 Mordaunt Short MS400 and a couple of Dynatrons from 1977. They are all original - not modified or upgraded.

The MS400 is good in mid freq. and Dynatrons are efficient so great with tube amps.

I would like to know what you are using, and also find out who is using and owning the oldest speakers.

Please upload photos of the speakers if you could. I will do likewise soon.

Thanks
Hi Budkor, I hope you are still on here after 16 years .
If you still have your Ms400's , can you reply with their serial number , and driver configuration please ?
Regards,
Bernard from UK
 
KLH model 6 from around 1960. Heavy cabinets and non removable grills. Using them as subs since the tweets are sealed. I won't rip them apart at this point in time.
 
Work shop`s & spare bedroom`s RS black cast Minimus 7 purchased in the mid eighties when they would go on sale in August.
The next oldest in use is my 1991 purchased new Mc. XR-1 walnut book shelf pair currently used in this room`s separates system.
All the above mentioned book shelf speaker`s bottom octave are supplemented with 12" floor firing passive subwoofers using their cap upgraded by me internal crossovers.

And my purchased used decades ago 2 pairs of wonderful sounding sunroom`s seventies manufactured Dahlquist DQ-10 (5) way are also bottom octave supplemented with a pair of Velodyne active floor firing 400 watt servo powered 15" subwoofers.
 
I have a pair of 1960s Altec 601c Duplex in Barzilay cabinets in my vintage system, driven by a HK Citation II. I also have a restored pair of 1969 AR3a in my living room system, driven by a restored Luxman L-100. I’m listening to my living room system right now
 
Sansui SP-1000 is my oldest pair of speakers and I really like them but one of the crossovers went out and I'm having a hard time finding a replacement. When I bought them they where cheap but some hipster youtubers made a couple videos about how great the Sansui line is and the price went from 100 for a pair to 3-400 hundred in the span of a year.

The only other pair I have and my currently in use pair is JBL XL-500 from the 80s.
 
Back
Top Bottom