• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What are your oldest speakers currently in use or owned by you?

HEH . . . I got y'all beat :D 'course, I gotta cheat and hit up my consoles :thmbsp:

oldest 'in collection'

1929 Sonora field coil driver which needs its matching amp to work . . . I have yet to power the damn thing up since the amp uses two 50 type tubes in the amp section . . . the type 50 tubes go for AT LEAST $400 a pair, so right now it's just eye candy. (this console is thanks to tom1356 :thmbsp:)

oldest 'in use' would be the minty field coil / PM dual 12 system in my 1947 Magnavox Belvedere . . . they've got great tone, and thanks to AK-er kymers, I have another complete console (and matching record cabinet) with the same speakers and amp (101B - PPP 6V6) . . . SO . . . sooner or later, I'll get to try these old girls in stereo on open baffles :yes: some say they rival the venerable Jensen A-12's for sound quality . . .

oldest 'standalone' speakers is a toss up I think would be my 1st generation KLH Model 6's - not a matched pair, but the older of the two is serial # 00066 . . the other contender is a pair of KLH Model 7's, both serial ##'s under # 500 . . . . the 6's and 7's are both 1958 / 1959 vintage. Here's some shots of the SUPER old Sonora speaker

attachment.php


attachment.php
Wow 1929 Vintage!.... Fun stuff..... Wish I had a time machine!
 
Jensen Duette from late 50's. Powered by a HK Allegro. My Stereo speakers are AR-4xa, with replacement tweeters that have higher frequency response, powered by a HK Citation 12.
 

Attachments

  • 20171229_111913.jpg
    20171229_111913.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 8
Rogers BBC Monitors (LS3/6's). Hard to date them as they are fairly rare but as near as I can tell they date from the early 70's. I listen to them every day!
 
Altec/Lansing Altec Model 1: Fabulous speakers, incredible sound and dynamics. Circa 1975. And Burhoe Acoustic Red: Great as well, circa late '70s?
 
University TMS-2 Trimensional Speakers, 1959.

Pretty cool design. Under the front grill cloth is solid plywood, it's just decoration. Tweeters and mids are mounted on the sides. The bass driver and controls are on the back. You put it next to a wall and use the doors to reflect the sound.

university1.jpg university2.jpg
 
BOSE 301s circa 1980s.... so far, there has been no substitute.

How have they held up? I had a pair of those from the early 80's, think they were Series 1, but they succumbed to foam rot.

Currently using JBL L-26's, re-foamed and sounding great. I think they're from the mid 70's.
 
Early AR 2ax's from the mid-60's(roughly 50 years old) and I love them. As much as I loved my AR 3's, the better efficiency of these gives me 95% of what I had with the 3's but the ability to use them with lower powered tube amps.

1120171111.jpg
 
Recently found this forum - enjoying it.

My North American Sound Studio Monitors - been my main speakers for 40 years. It has been great to hear I am not alone in enjoying vintage speakers. I periodically take my favorite CD's to audition new speakers and see how much to upgrade; I like them even more after doing so.
20171231_104855.jpg
 
4C405019-C2C4-4860-A44C-AA05A6A9A2C2.jpeg
I can definitely say I’m the only person in the world running 60s EV11’s with a 2012 Pioneer Elite amp in a gaming setup. Why am I doing this? I....I don’t rightly know.
 
Back
Top Bottom