• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What are your oldest speakers currently in use or owned by you?

I've got a '55' Heathkit "something". Real nice sounding two way with an 8" driver and a sweet horn.
 
I've got a '55' Heathkit "something". Real nice sounding two way with an 8" driver and a sweet horn.

Those wouldn't be the SS-1 would they? Last week a friend scored a pair that have Jensen PR8 woofers and RP-103 horns. And yeah, they're REAL sweet!
 
Olson Acoust Aire IV from the 70's sometime.

Three way loudspeaker that offers an on board balance panel featuring two different knobs for "Highs" and "Mids".

Sound great! Execelent bass delivery with a 10" Woofer. The mid driver performs exceptionally well, providing a warm and coherent acoustical sound. The tweeters are a wonderful contributor to the two other pairs of speakers hooked up with them.
 
I have some 1964 Jensens that were bought new by my parents. They are the speakers I grew up with. Can cause audio flashbacks.

Never modified and sound great with the Sansui 9090. I have tried to find info about them but have not been successful. Kind of Danish modern looking. Floor standers with wicker grills.
 
ESS AMT-1c's and one Ohm F. Still need a voice coil for the other.
 

Attachments

  • Ohm F & ESS AMT-1c.jpg
    Ohm F & ESS AMT-1c.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 32
My double Large Advents in walnut that I bought in 1976.
Two pairs for $400. They were 2 weeks old.
I just recently gave my daughter a pair of minty Wharfedale W20D Mk II's to take back to Philly with her when she was home for the holidays. I was told they were late 60's but I think they were early 70's. I paid $20 for the pair last summer.
 

Attachments

  • CAS_5557_JBL GSub10_resized.jpg
    CAS_5557_JBL GSub10_resized.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Those wouldn't be the SS-1 would they? Last week a friend scored a pair that have Jensen PR8 woofers and RP-103 horns. And yeah, they're REAL sweet!

I have no Idea what it is, but I only have one of them. I am building a new enclosure for it, as the old one is falling to pieces.
 
My oldest speaker would be an old 1947-8 Ampro for a 16mm projector.

My oldest pair would be my early 50's JBL C34's followed by 80's B&O.
 
All of my speakers are (comparatively) old...

There's the McIntosh F100, the little Lahti U2s in the office, and the reworked Mc Stereotech3s in the family room.
 
Me too, 16 Ohm Chartwell LS3/5a about 1976 vintage.

Still have them.

Sorry about pic quality

amzing AMAZING speaker .. I wish I had heard mine on tubes before I sold them . . I had them runnign on a Advent 300 for about a month.

they really are magic when it comes to midrange. I think a high quality vintage paper cone driver on an open baffle rivals the sound of a LS3/5a, but of course it's got a footprint 10 times the size :D
 
amzing AMAZING speaker .. I wish I had heard mine on tubes before I sold them . . I had them runnign on a Advent 300 for about a month.

they really are magic when it comes to midrange. I think a high quality vintage paper cone driver on an open baffle rivals the sound of a LS3/5a, but of course it's got a footprint 10 times the size :D

Yes, quite amazing on a good tube amp, love mine fed from Radford STA25 tube amp. In fact if I sit the LS3/5a on top of Quad ESL63 and switch between them, I have to ask myself the question why!
 
Vintage Speakers

I have a pair of Allison One's in near mint condition for a thirty year old system. I purchased them in 1979 or 1980.
Not sure, couldn't find the paperwork, but I do have the owner's manuals etc. I would be curious to know their value to a collector. Anybody know? I love these speakers and they will still hold their own with anything I have heard. I use them with a Carver CT-3 pre-amp and a Carver TFM35X amp. You can crank these babies as loud as you want with virtually no distortion. They are especially good for jazz, classical and new age stuff, but they perform admirably with rock.
 
Back
Top Bottom