• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What are your oldest speakers currently in use or owned by you?

My oldest drivers would have to be two 12" electrodynamic speakers from a Magnavox 101A amplifier used with a pair of Isophon DP-19 tweeters.
 
University Model ??? 1962 - Does anyone have any other info on these?

university62.jpg


Thanks!
 
I have a pair of Epicure (EPI) 100s that I bought in 1981 for $280 for the pair.[$620 for the pair in today's money I calculated for inflation]. I am using them as left/right on my TV.
Two questions: Would these speakers still be in good listening shape? Never been dropped, stored well. Do they need maintenance?
Second question of curiosity. For those that know EPI, do you think if they were still being made and were brand new, would they be as good as pair of $620 today? Back in their time they were rated high in consumer reports for mid priced speakers. Or have speakers gotten cheaper priced and better over the years like other electronics so that $620 a pair today would buy way better quality speakers than the EPIs were?
 
Every speaker I own is old...LOL!

Large (Bullnose) Advents / Dynaco A25's / Wharfedale Linton 2's / KLH 24's
 
Here is my list

A pair of JBL 112 from the late 70's A pair of JBL 4311 from the early 80's and my newest pair are a thrift store find for $10 Cerwin Vega Model 24's from the Early 70's not sure what I will power them with right now I am using my SX-1050 but I may use the SA-9800 until I can upgrade.
 
Hi everyone,
my oldest speakers that I am presently useing that are part of my surround sound, are 4 akai speakers from the 70's
 
I only have two pairs in use, so probably my Klipsch KG3s from the '80s. I haven't had old speakers in a while now. Oldest I ever used were probably KLH 24s from the '60s.
 
A pair of Reynolds Advance A2's. Currently rebuilding/refurbishing.

-have the original tweeters (Scan-speak soft domes), 10" Passive's. Going to get the original 8" Woofer and new crossover.

Built in the early 80's.
 
I don't care how these sound, I want them!

Thanks! They actually sound pretty good for as thin/old as they are. I currently have them hanging on the wall (with the stands removed.) I use them as low-power monitors in my equipment room. I just can't find ANY information on them other than University made speakers for consoles. I am hoping someone has seen these before and can give me more info. The markings on the nameplate read: University (C) L-T-V 1962
 
Thanks! They actually sound pretty good for as thin/old as they are. I currently have them hanging on the wall (with the stands removed.) I use them as low-power monitors in my equipment room. I just can't find ANY information on them other than University made speakers for consoles. I am hoping someone has seen these before and can give me more info. The markings on the nameplate read: University (C) L-T-V 1962
Those are beauties! The only L-T-V that I know of is Ling-Temco-Vought, a conglomerate that bought Altec Electronics in 1959. So there's part of the puzzle, though they sure don't look like Altecs. I don't think there's much left of LTV today.
 
I have my B&O M70s bought new in '76 before B&O sacrificed function for form. IMO these may have been their best. These are very flat and efficient 4 ohm, 4 driver, 3 ways. The rosewood veneer is matched to both speakers in the pair. They were even packaged in pairs. Upon delivery and initial setup one of the voice coils was rubbing from being knocked-off center in shipment. The owner of the small shop I bought them from, brought me one of his demos, we smoked a doob, and broke them in on Dire Straits. He let me keep his demo until a new pair came in. These speakers (I really wanted DQ-10s), a Beogram 1900 and a Yamaha CR-600 was the cheapest system he could assemble and yet I still got top notch service. Sweet.
 
Last edited:
My oldest speakers currently in use are Fisher XP-1s from 1959. 12" woofer and two 3.5" mids. They're paired with a Fisher 400 and sound quite nice. The Fisher is in a small room and I had trouble finding speakers that I liked with it. Tried my AR2as, Large Advents and KLH 17s and the Fishers won.

Second oldest are probably my JansZen Z600, circa early '60s. Sound great with my Marantz 2270.
 
This is a great thread!

I have a couple of University systems I picked up 4 months ago with Klipsch inspections stickers inside, dating from 1958. They both sound great and are currently driven with an HK330c everyday. I will be recapping/rebuilding the xovers at some point.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/album.php?albumid=152

I also have Bozak B-302a systems in Barzilay cabinets that are from 1962, I believe. These are also in great original condition (bought from original owner). I have a Yamaha CR-1020 that, once reconditioned, will be driving these Bozaks. I intend for this system to be my main system, especially for vinyl. I have used these extensively with the CR-1020 as a preamp and a Kenwood amp (KM-X1000).

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/album.php?albumid=153
 

Attachments

  • Listening space 080908 jpg 004 (Small).jpg
    Listening space 080908 jpg 004 (Small).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 24
  • System with Barzilay Cabinet.jpg
    System with Barzilay Cabinet.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Bozak B-302A Interior Left.jpg
    Bozak B-302A Interior Left.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 39
  • University Corner Cabinet Nudies 081808.jpg 005.jpg
    University Corner Cabinet Nudies 081808.jpg 005.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 25
  • Working HK 330c 082608.jpg 001 (Small).jpg
    Working HK 330c 082608.jpg 001 (Small).jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 38
  • University Corner Cabinet Nudies 081808.jpg 001.jpg
    University Corner Cabinet Nudies 081808.jpg 001.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 32
  • University Corner Cabinet Nudies 081808.jpg 015.jpg
    University Corner Cabinet Nudies 081808.jpg 015.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Large University Cabinet 080808 jpg 004.jpg
    Large University Cabinet 080808 jpg 004.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 35
  • Large University Cabinet 080808 jpg 005.jpg
    Large University Cabinet 080808 jpg 005.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Listening space 080908 jpg 003 (Small).jpg
    Listening space 080908 jpg 003 (Small).jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 25
I have a pair of Bozak 302A's from July or Aug. 1960, that would make them a few months older than me. And a couple of pairs of AR-2's that seem to be from the mid to late fifties.
 
My oldest pair of speaks in use are my Kenwood Model Sevens from 1976-77. It was a mere miracle that I ended up buying them just this past September. There are only two known pairs of these in the entire United States, but who knows, not everybody has internet access. I currently drive them with my Pioneer SX-1980 and it seems to barely break a sweat with them. As of now, there is a issue with the tweeters in them I am trying to work out. One cabinet had both the super tweet and tweeter working fine and the other, they were dead, so I did the only thing I could think of to balance them out better, put one of the good tweets in the other cabinet, adjusted the level controls, which by the way are detented in 3 positions and not variable like most. The highs still sound incredibly detailed, mids are very clear and present and the bass is suspended, quick, full and tight, as can be expected for a $2700-$3000 speaker from 1976! I also discovered that the surrounds are actually rubber with a foam-like coating, giving the false impression that they are foam, lol!
http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5280&size=big&cat=&ppuser=28748
 
Hi all,

Well, same ol' story for yours truly SixCats! My oldest and MOST listened to Speaker is my (single) circa 1950's Custom Eames designed STEPHENS TRU-SONIC Horn Speaker. The Stephens continues to be my FAVORITE Speaker. Made in Culver City, California, this rare Speaker is a three way Horn system which houses a 15" Bass driver, a ten cell mid-range horn and a eight cell Tweeter norn. The Speaker measures 36" W X 36" H X 18" D and weights in at one hundred and seventy five pounds. The sound this Speaker produces using a simple vintage PILOT AA-903B Mono EL-84 Tube Integrated Amp (about 14 watts) bests all my other Speakers (Thiel, EV, University, KEF, Klipsch, Jensen, etc. etc. etc.) . The EAMES design IMHO is a work of art. The STEPHENS TRU-SONIC is among my most prized possessions and I am VERY lucky and proud to own such a wonderful sounding piece of Audio history.

Regards,
SixCats!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom