• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What "Audio Related" item were you GIFTED?

Dang, I almost forgot, Pio1980 sent me some Dynaco A25's many years back. Wouldn't even let me pay shipping.

One tweeter was bad, but I had a set of Morel MDT-37's that were up to the task. Had both woofers reconed by GordonW, and then set about working those tired cabinets.

The wife even took the stock grillcloth and soaked in Oxyclean and they are not perfect, but quite presentable.

I've thanked Pio countless times, GordonW as well, and the greatest praise I could give them came courtesy of my grandson, who was 8 years old at the time.

I was trying to talk him into taking a set of Cerwin Vegas I had (D1's, fine little 2 way) and he simply pointed at the now-restored and shiny Dynacos and said

"I WANT THOSE!!!"

In time, kid. In time. :rflmao:

Here's the resto thread. A few pics.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/dynaco-a25-restoration-complete.911541/
 
Last edited:
Older lady's Husband passed, I got to know her through a mutual friend, turns out he had been trying to get a bluetooth turntable and a CD player going through some bluetooth speakers.
I went to get her hooked up and discovered a couple fisher and marantz recievers he had been trying to get to work.(maybe because none were bluetooth?)
Brought it all home and got her straight (she loves music as much as he) with TT straight to bluetooth bookshelf speakers which also had a line in for the CD player.
She gave me the 3 receivers, so I checked them all and gave the best one to the young man (the mutual friend)
He hasn't used it in the months since, lacking speakers so I gifted him a pair of Bose 401's.
Now to give away the other two! (and another pair of 401's.
 
That's quite a nice piece of gear to be gifted that way but I always say you meet the nicest people when it comes to Tandberg owners. I wouldn't be surprised if that one came from one of the Howard Sound stores in CO, they sold a lot of those receivers back in the late 70's/early 80's.

John


I was visiting my dad at the retirement complex .
I mentioned I was looking for a vintage receiver for my basement man cave.
He said, a friend of mine that lives in the private home part of the complex had some gear in the closet.
I asked dad what kind of gear was it ?
He said he had good taste in everything, but didn’t know the name.
We met Jerry for coffee. He explained that he had downsized his system, and had stored his larger gear.
He invited us over to his place, and brought out a tandberg tr2080 in the original box.
He had it serviced once, some minor repair.
He asked, are you going to use it?
Heck ya !
I was prepared to offer money for it, and he said, you can have it.
His ask was that if you ever sell it, give the money to charity .
Still got it.
Both Dad and Jerry have passed on.
I intend do a giveaway myself.
Thanks Dad and Jerry.
 
I was given a nice selection of ECC88 valves, and an SME tonearm by my brother a few years ago, really like the gold pin Mullards in my X-10D, haven't got around to trying out the tome arm yet, as it seems like it might be a ballache to install, and propperly set it up.
 
After helping an older man with packing for a move and attempting to get some of his vintage cameras, etc. listed on ebay, he gave me a pair of Bose 901 Series III's with the matching chrome tulip stands and EQ.
 
Not counting music which I tell everyone to give me for my bday and Christmas then the most recent would be a Pioneer SX-1010 inherited from my father in law in 1998, then gifted to my youngest son.

I thought it fitting one of his grandsons have it.
20220125_222342.jpg

20220125_222300.jpg

Was also gifted a Nakamichi MR1 from a customer about 20yrs ago, it's still with me.

Oh crap almost forgot my most recent, my sweet lady Renee gifted me my Carver C-16 Preamp for Christmas in 2012 to replace my old one sold off earlier that year in the great sell off of 2012. A real steal at $230 and still the heart of my two systems in the media rm.

20211010_085938.jpg
The Nakamichi MR1 is also in here
 
Let's see:

- A good chunk of my vinyl collection is "gifted" from back when people didn't want it cluttering up their attics anymore. My dad used to mention that I listened to records to people at work and every so often would come home with boxes of vinyl. Allot of it wasn't to my tastes at the time, but I still have about 50 albums from these days.

- My Kenwood KA-801 and KT-815 were technically gifted... but that KA-801 was damaged so far beyond repair internally that I had to buy a donor to make one working unit between them. Still, free is free, and the tuner always worked, so it was a gift.

- My wife bought me a Schiit Modi 3 DAC for our anniversary not too long ago.

Then there's audio gear that I gifted others:

- Countless amplifiers over the years to my siblings: usually mid grade solid state vintage Japanese gear that I knew would fit their needs. It all blends together these days, but 70s-90s Sony, Pioneer and Onkyo type stuff.

- Gave my sister a Technics SL-1500 I found at thrift for $15. It was "not working", which meant that the speed controls needed contact cleaner. She and her husband had been looking for a table, and it was better than anything they'd been considering. They still use it, and I figure karma will more than make up for the bit of money I could've made on it.
 
My better half paid for the restoration of my Tuner, Maximum Performance Indicator and repairs on my Stereo preamp back in the 2000's. She has been gone 5 years now.

I think it was 2008 when I was updating and restoring my older Mcintosh pieces that I trashed my last Stanton CS 100 stylus that I was using in MY 881s cartridge. So I called up my old friend Frank Gow at Audio Classics and we discussed cartridges for hours it seemed over a couple weeks. Then one day I received a small Package from Audio Classics with a note from Frank wishing me the best . When I opened the package there was a Dynavector 10 X4 HO . I kept expecting a bill, but found out from the book keeper weeks later that it was sent at no charge. Frank was a special guy. When he was selling supplies to Johnson controls and Shure Bros, etc in Juarez Mexico he would come by and visit. Before He went to work with Steve at Audio Classics. My Boss gave me my Last B-77HS with variable speed adapter as part of my bonus one year. As I did all the remote recording for the company and the radio station I could have any Professional Ampex I wanted at cost be they pre-owned or new. That was how I was able to make up my own custom 300-4, get a 300-2, AG 500-2/4, and later an AG 440C-4 and AG 350-2. The company sold them for me also when I got out of the recording business. I also got all my mics and mixers that way, too. If I were recording for the station or sound company, the symphony or other colleges organizations I got the tape I used for free. I always ran a primary machine and a back up machine.
 
Last edited:
Well, with the severe storms we've been having, Santa thought it best to gift me one of those Survival Radios.

It's solar/triple AAA/wind-up/and AC powered. Three bands of radio offered, with built in flashlight, siren and SOS lighting. And built to almost mil specs...rugged

All for under $70.

Just might come on handy for those required "Storm Updates" when/if the grid shuts down.


Q
 
Back
Top Bottom