grillebilly
Empty Head
I think US auto makers have made gigantic advances. Not saying they have eclipsed competition. Consumers are brand loyal, and there's no doubt a Toyota Corolla was a better car than a Ford Focus or Chevy Citation. Competition has somewhat leveled out, but when you know a good thing you stick with it. Consumers vote with their wallet. If I wanted a reliable daily driver I would buy a Honda. Toyota would be next. That's completely on the shoulders of US manufactures. All that said, the US makes some great cars. The new mid engine Corvette is cheap compared to its competitors. There's plenty of decent cars made in the US. I would love to have a new Cadillac. I don't think planned obsolesce is a design feature. My last 3 cars have been Buicks and they all went 300k without killing me along the way.@grillebilly
Toyota and Honda aren't going down the planned obsolescence path like so many other automakers. They are slaying everyone else these days. Five of the top ten selling vehicles in the USA is one of these brands. If it wasn't for pickups, none of the Big Three would be in the top ten.
I do agree with you on the fact that everything is designed with a profit motive. Building a car that lasts forever and doesn't drain the wallet commands brand loyalty, something that is lost on bean counters.