• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What do I do about my wife?

Since I use vintage audio gear exculsively, I keep my current integrated amp, and two vintage backups (so I have a backup to the backup) in case my main one goes out. After all, you never know when the magic smoke might let out of a vintage amp.

I then also have a backup tuner and cd player, and 2 turntables (both in use). The only thing I don't have backups for are speakers, mostly cause I haven't found good deal on them.

Using this plan, I can purchse my backup equipment over time by looking for deals at garage sales and thrift shops. If my main use equipment goes down, I don't have to settle for buying something at a premium auction, etc. Ai also rotate out any equipment that is excess, so it isn't building up to much. Keeps the wife happy.

Then again, there are a couple pieces I just can't get rid of....

Enjoy the journey.
 
Here's the current state of my basement system. She allows it, doesnt care and even enjoys it with me now and then but there's no way in hell I could make that kind of mess in the upstairs living area.

System1a.jpg
 
Most women just don't like stereo systems.

Women just 'like what they like'...and that's it. Zero flexiablity.

And that darn thing makes noise and I don't like your music, which means...all music except country western. In other words, it's not 'specifically' their music and the specific stereo system they would of bought...and "those speakers are ugly"!!!!!!!! (And they are in great shape and 'look' really nice!!)

I honestly think the majority of women really do dislike stereo systems. Unless it's small speakers and a sub hooked up to 'their' computer. And it says Bose on it.

It's just not in their DNA. Just the way it is.

They especially don't like them if it wasn't their idea, and the exact stereo 'they wanted'. (That's why I bought my wife her own Sony stereo, she wanted Sony -with Bose speakers, cause Bose is the best...and she never uses it - ever).

There just doesn't seem to be a connection to music for them like guys have and enjoy.

Not all women, but most. Maybe it's got something to do with all the componets involved, buttons, dials, I just don't know. Maybe it's just beyond them. Just a real hastle. And those records are just so old. Nobody has records anymore. And that TT is ugly. Why don't you buy a console for all that 'stuff'? Well, that's a 1980 NOS Sansui GX-100 TT rack! I'm really lucky to have it. That's why. "It's so ugly."

It's something else, that's for sure.

Another thing I just can't figure out is why women all like Bose?? LOVE Bose. They fall for the hype hook, line, and sinker. And her girl friends all come over: "Oh...YOU have BOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Way different priorities. "Oh...you have Bose!!!!" It doesn't matter what it sounds like, just as long as it says Bose on it. haha. Honest to God.

Maybe it's more of a decoration thing than a quality sound device.

I honestly don't think many women understand stereo systems or stereo playback. (Except for the women here on AK, of course". Honestly.

(Even my wife knows that the Bose speakers she just had to have sound so bad now.)

Just another one of life's mysteries.

Girls grew up with dolls, guys grew up with wagons.
 
Last edited:
Its like that when ya first get started. Was for me. Still go through spurts. Are you buying stuff at auctions, thifts and garage sales or are you paying premium bucks. If you are, if ya start looking at the other places the finds dont come along as often and lots of times it can be a real find and its much more exciting that way, and it ends up being a profitable investment thats easy to prove. It does help being able to go onto an auction site and be able to say , look Honey I bought these AR 3A speakers fo 50 bucks and look they are selling between 600 to 1000. Hope that helps.
 
Reading this thread makes me realize how lucky I am. My sweetie likes digging thru record stores as much as I do. And loves the old gear...at least the sound of it. Of course, I try to keep my collection pared to what I'm using and a few spares. I flip stuff occasionally to friends who want to get into the fun, too. Nary a complaint. :D
 
Reading this thread makes me realize how lucky I am. My sweetie likes digging thru record stores as much as I do. And loves the old gear...at least the sound of it. Of course, I try to keep my collection pared to what I'm using and a few spares. I flip stuff occasionally to friends who want to get into the fun, too. Nary a complaint. :D

You are "Blessed!!" :yes:
 
I just tell my wife what price I bought an item, then go to fleabay and show her what they are going for - I am a collector, not a flipper, so I tell her it is a hobby and a good investment. Now she understands. "Show me the money" works for me.
 
Involve her. She doesn't want to feel like something else is occupying your time more than the money.
We spend most Saturday mornings checking yard sales, thrift shops etc, most Sundays we hit the flea markets.
Inevetably she finds something she needs/wants/can't live without, it becomes a win win.
She has actually scored some good gear on her own. These camera phones are great, she will snap a couple pics, text them to me and we decide what to do. We do it together.
 
We'll call the ambulance for ya! That'll be the end of you for sure!

I did show it to her! It took a couple days for the swelling to go down but then I could see again...:D

Seriously, been married 37 years and we get along pretty good. Only way I got this far is to be open, discuss, and compromise. I have a retro system in the basement and my main rig in the living room. I even have GIK acoustic treatments in the living room. Dear wife picked the fabric color for the treatments so they wouldn't clash. I can't have all my LP's in there, but have a nice DIY bin that holds 300. She is a master gardener and we have 586 various plants and shrubs around the outside of the house that I'd rather not deal with but do help her with. She does like music but not all of what I like, so I listen to her favorites too. Gotta get along to be together, and together to get along.
 
Last edited:
Just saw this

You could show her some of my stuff - just don't tell her that I'm single. I also have about 30 pair of speakers in another room and over 16,000 records, 1,000 cd's, reel-to-reel tapes, cassettes, 8-track, 6 consoles, etc. :thmbsp:



IMG_2588.jpg


IMG_2558.jpg


bedroomstereo2.jpg


IMG_2446.jpg

And its pretty funny but better yet...tell him its some guys WIFES systems...you should see HIS!!!! lol
 
You could show her some of my stuff - just don't tell her that I'm single. I also have about 30 pair of speakers in another room and over 16,000 records, 1,000 cd's, reel-to-reel tapes, cassettes, 8-track, 6 consoles, etc. :thmbsp:



IMG_2588.jpg


IMG_2558.jpg


bedroomstereo2.jpg


IMG_2446.jpg


All that gear and only two ears. Such an injustice. You could always open a museum.
 
I've been married umpteen years. I am pretty blessed too. We both love thrifting, yard-saleing, all that stuff. Just last week, we drove the Lincoln Buy-Way sale for 350 miles, slept in the back of our van (equipped with a port-a-pot), heh. How many wives would do that? Heck, it was her idea (but she knew I'd be all about it)! We can be a pretty hard-core team when we need to be. Of course, we stopped in West Virginia at Homer Laughlin China so she could shop in the outlet store. We didn't even find much to buy in all those miles. But we had a great time exploring the old lincoln highway and just being together enjoying each other's company and feeding our passion for old junk. But that is something we have always both liked to do, shop for whatever we happen to be into; and roadtrips!

Over the years her collections have changed, china, dolls, toys, etc. Mine have changed, video games, computer stuff, stereo stuff, etc. But we always enjoy shopping together, but we also shop FOR each other if we find a good sale while we are apart. We will just buy something if we know the other is looking for it. Otherwise, we might call each other- "hey I found such-and-such, you want it?". But you have to LISTEN to her about her hobbies to know what to look for. I mean, as a man, I am a little embarrassed that I can tell a Barbie from a Francie or a Midge, but she's tickled to death when I find one for her. Just like she knows the kind of equipment I am into, brands, etc. She knows what is fixable and what isn't.

Does any of that knowledge do us any good on our own? Not really. But does it kill ya to take an intrerest, and devote some of our infinite memory to her hobbies? Look at the gains you can make by being just a tad less selfish.

I guess what I am saying is, find a way to merge your wife's hobbies/collections with yours, so you can enjoy, at least the hunt, together. That being said, there are some things that should NOT be together. Such as our junk piles are separate. She has a room, and I have a room. We have an unwritten rule that the main areas of the house have to be uncluttered, but our "junk rooms" are our own to decide.

Even when we lived in a small trailer, she made a deal with me. I could have whatever equipment I wanted, as long as it was out of sight. So I built a 7ft rack in the hall closet, and ran speaker wires to all of the bedrooms, modulated TV signals for the media player system, camera system, etc. But other than one set of floor speakers, you couldn't see ANY of it with the closet door shut. She's happy because it looks neat, I'm happy because it was an awesome setup. And guess what? SHE showed it off more whan I did! "Look what my husband did to this closet! It does stuff all over the house, look!.."

Compromise, when it is actually a true compromise (BOTH sides giving a little), is a good thing.

I guess the point of this long-winded bologna post is, you can make it work. Just be honest, willing to compromise, and show an appropriate amount of interest in her hobbies to make a balance. Life is not that hard. Just treat others how you want to be treated, and don't use labels as an excuse for bad conduct.
 
Back
Top Bottom