• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What does anyone know about these?

John Carr

Active Member
They are Foster 83154a but there is little to nothing on the 'net about them.
 

Attachments

  • 20210618_130831.jpg
    20210618_130831.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 128
Register to hide this ad
They are Foster 83154a but there is little to nothing on the 'net about them.
I have a pair, used them briefly in an active 2-way after measuring them with Omimic. The XO was a Behringer DCX-2496. They were buyouts from Parts Express.

There was a big peak toward the low end of the response. I would have to look it up, but I think a 12db Butterworth at 5k yielded an overall high pass of 24db B4 at 2500. I applied 1 or 2 EQs as well, and the result was good sound. I moved on to other DIY stuff but might try them again.
 
What is Omimic?
Can you give me a brief overview on how you measure a driver?
Maybe a new thread if it would hi jack this one..
The Parts Express forums would be a good start. Or you could web search "omnimic". (It might seem complicated if you're unfamiliar with the concepts.)
 
I have a pair... They were buyouts from Parts Express.
I'm doubtful of that since they stopped making the die cast horns in the very early 80's before Parts Express(born in 1986) had been thought of.

OP's 3 x 7 die cast aluminum horns with alnico motors were made in 1969 in Japan by Foster/Fostex. They are a faithful clone of the original design RP-203 by Jensen which succeeded the RP-107, and RP-103.
 
I'm doubtful of that since they stopped making the die cast horns in the very early 80's before Parts Express(born in 1986) had been thought of.

OP's 3 x 7 die cast aluminum horns with alnico motors were made in 1969 in Japan by Foster/Fostex. They are a faithful clone of the original design RP-203 by Jensen which succeeded the RP-107, and RP-103.

I will need to dig mine out and get a closer look. Maybe they sat in a warehouse for years before PE got them.
 
I will need to dig mine out and get a closer look. Maybe they sat in a warehouse for years before PE got them.

I believe I also purchased a pair from PE, I'll have to check the model #'s, only purchased them because they were so cheap, planned on building a system around them but they're still sitting on the closet shelf lol.
 
ok, so pulled them off the shelf, a bit dusty after all this time, I believe these may be the same, and yes purchased from PE about 6yrs ago if memory serves, and they are cast aluminum and another reason I purchased them.

20210620_082603.jpg
20210620_082619.jpg
 
I found this: Fostex was founded June 1, 1948; 73 years ago (as Foster Electric Company, Ltd.)
1973 (as Fostex)

Mike
Many of us are long aware of the sibling relationship between Foster/Fostex.

My point was about the use of, or perhaps ignorance of varying alphabetic case by our Japanese friends.

d.jpg


They(Foster/Fostex) re-issued these a few years ago and sold them out almost immediately:

fe103a.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom