• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What Goodies Are Hiding in Your Closet, Begging to Be Used?

Can it be a small room, attic or garage? There are Crown amps, Ampex recorders and mixers, atlas stands and a mile of mic cable it seems. There are condenser mics, monitor speakers, Portable cases, a Revox or two, and a few old GE and RCA old table top and console radios. There are spare tweeters, midranges, and woofers. There is reckoning stuff in a fishing tackle box. There are all my Mcintosh shipping Boxes. Boxes for other pieces are long gone. There are boxes of blank CD's and DVD-R to record on and slim line cases for DVD CD and Blu-ray. And boxes and boxes of spare connectors and cable, boxes of factory-made cables and obsolete cables. There are spare power cables, optical, and din cables adapted to RCA and XLR . There are cans of cleaners and lubricants. The list goes on and on. And I come from a family where if you don't use it once a year it should be sold or thrown out. Guess I have a lot of selling or giving away to do.
 
My only item of significance is a TAD-4002 driver, sitting there gathering dust. Have a couple active crossovers next to it and a Klipsch K510 horn that it was destined to be mated to (to be used as center channel)

Not sure the space will be there for the center channel so they are sitting...

Oh, and I have a Peach (tube) preamp that I totally forgot about!
 
I used to hoard gear. At one time, I had two bedrooms and two basements and one garage literally crammed with stuff that I never or rarely used- thousands of units, I'm sure weighing an actual couple tons or more. Then I had "the great purge" where I gave away most of gear to anyone who would accept it. What I could not give away, I sold. What I could not sell I brought to the dump. There was stuff of many pedigrees and varieties in all categories (you know it's come to something when you drop off a Marantz 2600 at the same dump you rescued it from). Still, even after the purge, I have some under utilized bit's of kit, waiting in the wings.

-Adcom GFA-535: This is one of the great sleeper power amps of all time. It was the bottom rung of Adcom's lineup at the time, but there is no mistake that the company put every effort into making it a small, value oriented power amp that could stand proud with similarly spec'd rivals costing 2-3x more.

-Sony TC-FX1010: The design outwardly is the epitome of garish, 1980's "push button/digital forward" design, but this is a top-notch stereo cassette deck. A DSP system allowed the deck to analyze the actual tape before recording and adjust all settings accordingly. Brushless DC servo motors and SNR's that would take almost a decade and Dolby S to top polish off this beast.

-Sony ST-5950SD: Not Sony's penultimate tuner, but their TOTL unit when released. It looks good, and performs very well, especially since the town I live in is essentially a valley surrounded by hills of almost solid Iron (hence the term "Iron Range"). I can pull in stations from Duluth, Ely, and Grand Rapids (MN) with simple twin-lead, an accomplishment that I could not achieve even with more highly regarded tuners.

Yaqin MC-10L: A remarkable tube integrated amp, and my first real introduction to tubes. This amp remains my first choice when recommending a tube amp to someone wanting to dip their toes into valve audio. Even new, it was inexpensive and stylish, and in the decade since I bought it, it's proven not just reliable and good sounding, but robust! A quick reminisce about an AK get-together at doucanoe's: I was carrying the amp out of Ron's house to BobFalk's minivan when I slipped on some ice. The amp went flying (all 45-lbs) and landed hard on the sill of the sliding rear door. The front panel gained a notch, the door sill a good-sized dent, but the amp was none the worse for ware. Credit also goes to my Cambridge Audio 640c CD player, which I was carrying under the Yaqin, and also went flying, though it landed in a comparatively soft snow bank.

Audionics of Oregon CC-2: Another "I cant't believe this" power amp, though not nearly as famous or common as the Adcom GFA-535. There is lore and history behind this amplifier that can be found in more detailed (and first-person) perspective elsewhere. That said, I consider myself fortunate to not only have heard this amp but own one. Although rated (conservatively) a modest 70 WPC (similar the the GFA-545), it's capable of almost doubling down to 4 and even nearly tripling into 2-ohms. Like my much adored h/k 775's, the CC-2 was designed on the precepts of Dr. Matti Otala, a fellow son of Suomi. Despite the technically "inferior" componentry used in the CC-2, it is an almost verbatim copy of what my 775's (twice as powerful for each channel) has to offer. Indeed, for 90% of my listening, the CC-2 would more than suffice. The only time it would not is when, in a fit of pique, I decide to demand 8x the power the CC-2 is capable of. If ever you find one of these amps, re-cap it and cherish it. It's something special. Lookout for one of my classic "Inside and Out" reviews on this amp in the future.

-Domus Module: DLK. Domus. Omega. Three names that are, at least locally, somewhat legendary. Schaak Electronics sold, along with Pioneer, Teac, and other such brands, their own house-line of goods. Specific to this post, speakers. The Domus Module is a two-way speaker with a Norwegian made low-range driver (~4-inch) with a 2-inch Motorola Piezo tweeter. This would not usually result in a Good Speaker™, especially since piezo tweeters are usually associated with low-end units, but the Modus Module is piezo done right. It's not shrill or squawky, and the crossover takes the atypical load of the tweeter out of the equation. Backed up by the solid cabinetry and very decent mid-bass driver, the Module is a potent (if limited) compact bookshelf or desktop speaker. The Module was also used in some versions of the DLK 3 and DLK 4 loudspeaker, where it was accompanied by either a single or dual 12-inch woofers to fill out the low end.

Onkyo Interga A-8190: A decent integrated amp that combines 1980's mid-range value with a bit of high-end TOTL intrigue. A solid performer where I can find no real complaints (on the other hand, there is not a lot to crow about either...). Definitely the nerve center of a secondary or tertiary system, but a reliable performer with better performance than many out there.

Pioneer S-55 Twin (with matching stands): They were part of Pioneer's TAD-designed "Twin" series of loudspeakers from back in the late 1980's and early 1990's. The overall construction and woofers were strictly consumer-grade Pioneer, but the design and tweeter came from TAD. They're of the HT-friendly MTM configuration with two wide-range (woofer) drivers and a centrally located ceramic/carbon composite tweeter from TAD. They're out of service currently owning to the need for a re-foam of the woofers. However, in the brief period I listened to them before the need of a re-foam became obvious, they showed potential.

Yamaha PX-2 w Benz Silver: This has been on loan to the Falkowski collection for years, as I've been hesitant to move my vinyl out of it's well-maintained stasis for the fleeting moments I've had the opportunity to listen to music over the past few years. Further, it's now located 60 miles away at the port city of Duluth, and I rarely make a visit there any more. And finally, as one of the two mechanical items in my system I'd rather it get some use than just sit and collect dust. This turntable was a gift from the ever generous and golden-eared Mark B. The Benz HOMC cart is a real singer, outperforming many other carts I've owned in it's price point. Indeed, it would take almost doubling the cost to notice a real improvement (on my system, with my source material, etc for the usual caveats), and the turntable itself I can find no particular fault with, unless it comes to trying to perform a proper alignment, which the PX-2 makes almost impossible due to it's automatic operation. It won't give Mark's GT-2000/Zyx combo a run for it's money, but it comes within the envelope ignorance is bliss, and for many, such the PX-2 with the Benz Silver would fulfill their vinyl desires for life.
 
For me, it's far easier to list the stuff which isn't being stored, as seen in my signature. :oops: Nevertheless, I'll attempt a list of the stuff I have "waiting in the wings", such as it were:

Power amplifiers:
  • Dynaco Mark III x2 (hopefully will be put back into service soon in my main system as part of an attempt at bi-amping)
  • Dynaco ST-35 (occasionally sees use in the basement for demonstration purposes)
  • Dynaco Stereo 400 (needs repairs)
  • Kenwood KM-106
  • Pioneer SPEC-4
Preamplifiers:
  • Dynaco PAS-2
  • Dynaco PAS-3X (same situation as the ST-35)
  • Dynaco PAT-4 x2 (need repairs)
  • Heathkit SP-2 (awaiting restoration)
  • Pioneer SPEC-1
Tuners:
  • Carver TX-11 (needs repairs)
  • Fisher FM-50B (one working, one parts chassis)
  • Harman-Kardon A200
  • Harman-Kardon F10
  • Kenwood KT-2100
  • Kenwood KT-7500
  • Pioneer F-101T
Integrated amplifiers:
  • Heathkit AA-151 (awaiting restoration)
  • HH Scott 299A (awaiting restoration)
  • Sansui AU-70 (awaiting restoration)
  • Sansui AU-999
Receivers:
  • Bang & Olufsen Beomaster 1000
  • Bang & Olufsen Beomaster 2000
  • Bang & Olufsen Beomaster 6000 x2 (one needs repairs)
  • Bang & Olufsen Beomaster 6500
  • Bang & Olufsen Beomaster 8000 (needs repairs)
  • Marantz 2252B
  • Pioneer SX-331R (needs repairs)
  • Vector Research VR-5000
Turntables:
  • Acoustic Research XB (needs repairs)
  • Acoustic Research XB 77
  • Bang & Olufsen Beogram 3000 (awaiting restoration)
  • Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 (awaiting restoration)
  • Bang & Olufsen Beogram 8000 x2 (one awaiting restoration, one for parts)
  • Bang & Olufsen Beogram RX (needs repairs)
  • Bang & Olufsen Beogram 1800
  • Bang & Olufsen Beogram RX 2
  • Dual 1019
  • Dual 1218
  • Dual 1219
  • Realistic Elac Miracord 40A
  • Empire Troubadour 598 II (needs repairs)
  • Garrard 730m
  • Perpetuum-Ebner PE 2020 (needs repairs)
  • Perpetuum-Ebner PE-3060 (needs repairs)
  • Philips GA-312 (needs repairs)
  • Pioneer PL-88FS (needs cartridge/stylus)
  • Rabco ST-4
  • Technics SL-1200
  • Technics SL-1300 (needs repairs)
  • Technics SL-1301 (needs repairs)
  • Technics SL-1500
  • Technics SL-10
  • Weathers 'The Townsend' (needs repairs)
  • Yamaha P-320 (needs repairs)
Cassette decks:
  • Akai GX-F51 (needs repairs)
  • Bang & Olufsen Beocord 2000
  • Bang & Olufsen Beocord 8002 x2 (need repairs)
  • Denon DR-M30HX
  • Nakamichi BX-100 (needs repairs)
  • Philips DCC-900
  • Pioneer CT-F900 x2 (one may soon become main cassette deck; other one for parts)
  • Realistic SCT-5
  • Sony TC-127
Reel-to-reel decks:
  • Roberts Akai 1740X
  • Akai X-150D (needs repairs)
  • Pioneer RT-701 (may soon be main R2R deck)
  • Revox A77 (needs repairs)
  • Teac A-4010S (needs repairs)
CD/DVD/LD players:
  • Bang & Olufsen Beogram CD6500
  • Dual CD-120 (may soon become secondary CD player)
  • Hitachi DA-P100
  • Kyocera DA-910 (needs repairs)
  • Magnavox CDB-482
  • Pioneer LD-V2000
  • Pioneer CLD-M403
  • Pioneer CLD-D604
  • Pioneer DVL-909 (may soon become main LD player)
  • Realistic CD-1000 (needs repairs)
  • Sony CDP-650ESD (probably needs repairs)
  • Sony DVP-NC80V
  • Technics SL-P1
  • Technics SL-P1200
Speakers:
  • AR 2ax
  • AR 4x (need work)
  • ADS B-8
  • Bang & Olufsen Beovox S45
  • Bang & Olufsen Beovox S45.2
  • Genesis Physics 1+
  • Heathkit AS-104
  • KLH 17
  • KLH 23
  • JBL L-100
  • Realistic MC-500
  • Realistic MC-1201
  • Realistic Mach 2 (need to be refoamed)
  • Snell J/III
  • Snell K/II (need to be refoamed)
  • Sony APM-22ES
Probably forgetting at least a few things in each category.......... :eek: :rolleyes: :crazy:
-Adam
 
I'm talking audio here, people. By "closet," I mean any place in your home where unused equipment is just waiting to be put back in action. We moved into our present home here in 2008. For almost 10 years, I had a superior pair of restored AR9s (the big ones) sitting, boxed, in my heated/AC'd basement. Every time I went down there and saw them, I would hear them calling out, "Plug us in! Plug us in!"

I also had a pair of mint ADS L1530s functioning purely as decorative furniture, unconnected, in the corners of our TV room for many years. They were a bequest and I never got around to using them ...

... until this past October, when the bug bit me bad and my wife and I, at great physical strain to my back, dragged both the AR9s and the L1530s up to the master bedroom suite, which has become my office/music room. I moved the bedroom down the hall. I'm happy to say that all is well with them (but not my back) as I blast away while I work.

So, how about you? What great equipment do you have stashed away that's just aching to get back in your rotation?

Check that closet or basement. You may surprised what you find.

Dave
ADS speakers not being used?????? Say it ain't so?????
 
Not much here:
HK Citation XX
2 sets of Bootrhroyd Stuart Meridian 105 monos with matching preamps
Boothroyd Stuart Meridian 104 tuner
Infinity Kappa 9
Acoustat Model 3
2 pairs of Acoustat Servo Charge OTL monos, one pair not functional.
2 pairs of The Leach Superamp Model 102 monos
2 The Leach Amp Model 101
Fisher SA-100
Pair of Heathkit W-5m monos with matching WA-P2 preamps
Pair of Electrohome 7189 mono organ pulls
Full set of drivers for a JBL franken 4345 project: 2245, 2206, 2440/2309/2310, 2405,
DBX Drive Rack 4820
Pair of JBL 2269 drivers for subs to mate with my Acoustat Monitor 3s
Lots of miscellaneous parts

Oh, and an Oracle Paris tt
Garrard Zero 2000B
Garrard Zero 100
and a pair of Kef 105.2 needing serious attention.

Oh, and an Altec 9440A
Bipolar Electronic Systems 850
Futterman H3,


and a beautiful Futterman OTL4 I just acquired.

Oh, and a very nice pair of JBL 4401.

I'll keep looking :)

Magnum Dynalab FT101

Heathkit AA-1800
 
Last edited:
Nice ....bet it sounds outstanding!

Thanks! The L1530s sound great! This was another example of how power can make the difference. Before I got my Citation 22 repaired, I was running the 1530s off a small SS 50-wpc basic amp, which is very nice, but the big ADSs just didn't seem to have the punch I liked to hear. Then I got the Citation back and BOOM! The 1530s came to life and now challenge my big AR9s and even my Mac XRT1Ks. That's saying something. Bottom line: You can't have too much power! :thumbsup:

Dave
 
Thanks! The L1530s sound great! This was another example of how power can make the difference. Before I got my Citation 22 repaired, I was running the 1530s off a small SS 50-wpc basic amp, which is very nice, but the big ADSs just didn't seem to have the punch I liked to hear. Then I got the Citation back and BOOM! The 1530s came to life and now challenge my big AR9s and even my Mac XRT1Ks. That's saying something. Bottom line: You can't have too much power! :thumbsup:

Dave
I totally agree , I have some Polk SDA'S 1c's ran them on a intergreated 100 watt receiver, then switched to a Kenwood Basic M2A....world of difference. My ADS L1290's still my favorite though.
 
Thanks! The L1530s sound great! This was another example of how power can make the difference. Before I got my Citation 22 repaired, I was running the 1530s off a small SS 50-wpc basic amp, which is very nice, but the big ADSs just didn't seem to have the punch I liked to hear. Then I got the Citation back and BOOM! The 1530s came to life and now challenge my big AR9s and even my Mac XRT1Ks. That's saying something. Bottom line: You can't have too much power! :thumbsup:

Dave
Same results here with my 1530's. Every time I try a lower wattage amp on them I'm disappointed and always come right back to the 250wpc Mcintosh mc2255. They seem to thrive on wpc and current.
 
Off the top of my head, only a few things come to mind. Nothing overly exciting.

That spare Yamaha P-751 turntable that we managed to fix the 33rpm speed on. (I had already replaced it with an identical one before the repair).

A 4 piece set of BNIB Sonus Faber drivers for the old bi-wire Concertinos - 2 wof, 2 twt - that I was going to use for the speakers I built. (Ended up buying the SEAS OEM equivalents and used those for the clone project instead.)

My STR-D1090 HT receiver that the GX9ES is replacing as the system in the back room lounge area. (I finally started organizing that earlier tonight - should be furnished, set up, and in use by this weekend! :D )

The Bose double cube satellites that go with this AM5/ii bass module I’ve been using as a sub in my livingroom system. (Original Bose stands for those too. All part of the HT I’ve had since the early 90s.)

And a pair of Polk Audio Monitors (the weird old triangular ones) that were the surround speakers in my prior HT setup.

Most of that stuff will be in use once that room is finished - though I hope to eventually get real speakers for back there too. Only thing that’ll stay in its box will be the D1090 - gonna have to figure out its fate soon.
 
1530's. Every time I try a lower wattage amp on them I'm disappointed and always come right back to the 250wpc Mcintosh mc2255. They seem to thrive on wpc and current

Well said, especially regarding current. My Citation 22 is a high-current 200+ wpc amp and it took command of the 1530s immediately. It's kind of like when I've been in my Corvette (the red one over on the left of my post here), following an 18-wheeler for miles at 50 mph for a few boring miles, and then I see a short passing zone. Zoom! Horsepower = high current.

To paraphrase an old credit card commercial: High current -- Don't listen to music without it! :)

Dave
 
Old story, like 14 years ago. I re-found my Neumann DST62 cartridge that I bought from a fellow audiophile for $75 in 1969 or so. He had two. We both bought matching transformers and built boxes to house the wiring etc. I used it for a few years with a Sony PUA237 arm on a custom ARxa. It was smooth and dynamic and why I never kept using still bothers me. Must have been something about the 6.5g tracking force, I guess. Whatever. I had been looking around for stuff to sell on fleabay in April 2005, and in my workshop in a box with a Robins tape splicer and Beyer microphone stand, there it was. I wrote a short description with a minimum bid of $24.99.
Seven days later :banana:

Neumann sale.jpg
I still dig around in my workshop every few months or so.
 
EICO HF-12
2 Dyna Mk II
Dyna FM-3
very early H-K mono 6L6 amp
2 Calrad biaxial 8"
2 Infinity 3000
2 AR2ax
2 AR3a
more are out but unused; some of the above need repair/cleaning etc
 
Sorry about the terrible pic. It's dark and cramped in my storage unit and I really didn't feel like muscling this 80lbs piggy around.
Was all I could do to get it positioned for a quick photo.
Don't know about "begging" to be used, but I really should do something with it.

IMG_0334.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom