• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What have you accomplished this weekend?

Went into quarantine. Our son (19) returned on Friday from a week in Madrid. Before that he was in Tokyo for five weeks.

We are all quarantined for at least two weeks. I am going to go nuts not being able to go in to work.
 
Noticed I have blood in my urine, (working with a Urologist), rehabbing a DuAL 1019 Turntable, (cleaning contacts, lubing, install a NOS Shure M75ecs cartridge). Test, then work on something else on the TT. I need to pull the motor and oil the bearings. I hear a little rumble. I did "dress" the idler wheel, and it helped, but the motor will need addressing.
 
I decided to do a two day cooking binge so we have yummy food for a month made duck confit ,lamb biryani,Roma Bolognese,BBQ country ribs,beef ribs,smoked some kielbasa and linguisa sausage,some sides that freeze well hasselback potatoes and som black eye peas with mushrooms.and for tonight a large 9lb pork shoulder pernil from h James recepie in the food thread.
To help with the cooking I played lots of my favorite music old vangelis,future sound of London ,kraftwerk,clash.dead can dance,and now playing Kate bush live while preparing yellow rice and Cuban style black beans.
Tired and happy.
 
Watched some nice movies. One being Ford and Ferrari. Stocked up on some cleaning supplies I found by accident. Went by and bought a two month supply of my favorite chocolate. I hope this virus thing is pretty much under control by the 1st of June but I doubt it. I'm 74 so I have to be careful and keep a low profile. Fortunately I live out in the vast desert of West Texas. Hopefully thing will pass us by like they usually do.
 
I did all the good stuff the weekend before.....:smoke:

This weekend:

Moved my kid back from college since they shut school down till at least the end of March.

Gave my new horn loaded subwoofer a cursory inspection. Looked around here to find what I'm gonna power it with. ( found an electronic crossover anhd a power amp to use)

Avoided changing rear brakes on the pickup as it just wasn't warm enough out.

Ate too much

Helped my other son install more RAM and a 1TB SSD in his laptop before he leaves for Japan.
 
This weekend I have accomplished nothing except to please myself. My lady friend was here Friday night. That was very pleasing. Right now listening to Al Green, Let's Stay Together (LP). Next up are some selections from my FLAC library.
 
Today was a lazy ass day. Kept streaming and finding new music. Still resting up my back which has put a big dent in my training. First two 5Ks I signed up for have been cancelled, I sure in the hell wasn’t going anyway. All restaurants and bars in Illinois are now closed, except delivery and pick up. So, just hanging out in the country.
 
It looks like I’ll be working from home more for the foreseeable future, so I set up a larger temporary system in the den. I’m usually not a big fan of putting systems in front of fireplaces, but I’ll make an exception in this case. I’m going to use this time as an opportunity to clean, organize and maintain gear, as well as make some recordings. For some reason I’ve gotten back into cassettes — I had forgotten how good they can sound when done correctly.

FF1049C2-6C87-4EB7-8F73-3FE71D8AD41A.jpeg
 
Today was "cleaning day" for me... I do this a couple of times a year... disconnect everything, all cables, remove equipment from racks and clean all of them... then put all in, and reconnect everything...

I love doing this... takes me 6-7 hours non stop, and always find some unused cable behind racks... I do not know how they all manage to make a sweet cable spaghetti on their own!..

Today I also upgraded some generic cables to Nordost and Shunyata... and afrer doing it all, tested it with my little kids with some rock for them to energize while jumping and headbanging!...

20200315_153132.jpg
 
Saturday - I bought on ebay some tall steel speaker stands thinking they'll be perfect for my JBL L15's....happy to report they are perfect. I also ordered and arrived in time for the weekend some quality orange oil and polished a few sets of speakers and the smell is intoxicating.

Sunday - Took the GU Nissan Patrol (not sold in the US) out 4WDing to test out my new transfer box low reduction gears giving me a 83% reduction in low range. We were out in Wombat State forest, a few steep rocky tracks with steps.....new ratio's were crazy slow for maximum torque. On a steep hill, could idle up to a rocky step/s, tap the throttle and the car just waddled up. Any weekend that involves 4WDing, bbq, kicking a ball the kids with kangaroo's grazing all over the place is perfect to me.

For those in the US who may not know Nissan Patrol's, not mine pictured, but almost identical. Pictured is a diesel, mine is a 4.8 inline 6 cylinder petrol.
GU-TD-2017-8-1000.jpg
 
For those in the US who may not know Nissan Patrol's, not mine pictured, but almost identical. Pictured is a diesel, mine is a 4.8 inline 6 cylinder petrol.
GU-TD-2017-8-1000.jpg
A friend had a vintage WWII Willys or Jeep or something with a walking gear, called it "granny gear." It would pull or push anything. Fun off road. That Nissan looks neat.
 
A friend had a vintage WWII Willys or Jeep or something with a walking gear, called it "granny gear." It would pull or push anything. Fun off road. That Nissan looks neat.

'Walking or granny gear' not a term we use here, luv it! They're my new go to explanations from now on. Thanks.
 
Did my income taxes, de-thatched the lawn, re-seeded the bare spots and used the pulled up thatch to cover the seeded areas, fertilized the lawn, drank some beers and cranked the stereo (played a bunch of tapes on the RT-707). Now I’m at work exhausted and kinda hung over, yaaay!
 
hmm lets see, worked the store, sorting records and setting out all the tape decks I fixed...sold a crap ton of trains to one person who must be hoarding O scale trains while others hoard TP, changed the brakes on the CTS, worked on tuning the carb on the wifes quad, organized more of my garage.
 
Back
Top Bottom