• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is a MoFi UltraDisc One Step 45rpm Super Vinyl?

Got a pair of every one of the UltraDiscs BUT Abraxas (wasn't paying attention at the time), one copy for play and the other stays sealed. Between my oldest boy and I we've pretty much got a copy of every one of the original MFSL catalog, including the Beetles and Sinatra box sets, as well as a number of Nautilus, CBS Mastersounds (lotsa EQing probs there, e.g. Meatloaf BooH) and exception to the MFSL UHQRs. 40+ smackers for an album back in the 80's was a bit steep for my pocketbook and now I'm shelling out a buck and a 1/4 for the new UDOS.
In my mind the new UDOSs sound rivals that of the 80s UHQRs, but until I hear an apples/apples test between the 2 formats (e.g. DSotM/DSotM or Crime of the Century/CotC, etc.) I'll still reserve my complete judgement. However, I have compared the first OMR release of Breakfast in America to the newest OMR release and I preferred the sound quality of the newer release.

Say what you will about audiophile pressings but in my listening just about every one I've heard sounded better than any standard pressing of the same album. If you think they are over priced...well...don't buy it, and nobody here should be thinking anything less of you. But unless you own one maybe two or you've sat down and compared one on a properly set up system your opinion is irrelevant.
I have witnessed some who've spent more on one TT, cartridge, phono pre and cables than I did on my 3 Corvettes, and yet spin an $8.00 mass produced piece of plastic and say it sounds just as good as an audiophile pressing....wow, REALLY?!

If the recorded quality of the master tape sucks then typically the reproduction copies will also suffer in sound quality.
Garbage in, garbage out, if your source material sucks then the outputted sound will be too...period.

I’m curious - do you have any concerns about not checking the contents of your sealed copies? I guess if you never intend to open them, it doesn’t matter, as it’s more of an artifact/collectible than something that will be played in the future. But if it will eventually be opened by you or someone in your family you pass it on to, then how about the possibility of pressing or manufacturing defects that only show up later when it’s too late to get a replacement disc?

I don’t have all of them, and those that I do, I only have one copy of. . .except S&G Bridge, where I have an extra sealed copy. But they had an issue with a certain number of those where two of the same discs were put into some boxes. It may be too late now to address that now, but that’s been kind of a nagging concern of mine.

Or, if you read on other forums of other people’s experiences, some have gotten off center pressings or scratches, etc.

Just curious about other people’s thoughts on this. It’s a dilemma where opening it up to verify all is good may lower value vs a sealed copy, but at least you know all is good. Vs keeping it sealed and maybe ending up have an imperfect copy when it’s finally opened.
 
Just curious about other people’s thoughts on this. It’s a dilemma where opening it up to verify all is good may lower value vs a sealed copy, but at least you know all is good. Vs keeping it sealed and maybe ending up have an imperfect copy when it’s finally opened.
Generally a record like this resold later that's OOP will have more value sealed. Most people will trust and take a chance on the manufacturer work knowing the seller hasn't touched it. Opposed to the seller saying they opened it to make sure it was fine without manufacturer defects but never played. Did they really never play it?

I for one always think there is a reason a open copy is sold especially if it's a new record. Lots of people buy new records and then they are not happy with the SQ.
 
Generally a record like this resold later that's OOP will have more value sealed. Most people will trust and take a chance on the manufacturer work knowing the seller hasn't touched it. Opposed to the seller saying they opened it to make sure it was fine without manufacturer defects but never played. Did they really never play it?

I for one always think there is a reason a open copy is sold especially if it's a new record. Lots of people buy new records and then they are not happy with the SQ.

Yeah, understand that line of thinking and agree that it can make you suspicious. I bought one claimed NM/barely played and it did have an issue and unfortunately only really noticed it outside of the return window.

I think it just needs to be sold in a way where it’s clear that the buyer is taking their chances on a sealed copy and whatever manufacturing issues there are (including duplicate discs) are not the seller’s responsibility. But that does exclude eBay as a sales venue and who knows how PayPal would decide in those cases since it seems like they make their own decisions regardless of sellers’ stated terms and conditions of sale.

But if it’s for passing on to future generations (keeping it in the family), it seems safer to open it up and verify while replacement discs are still a option.
 
Just IMHO here, but buying records to keep them sealed is like buying cars to keep them parked in the garage.

Use it, enjoy it, and don't be a "I keep plastic on my furniture" kinda person....

jblnut
 
Just IMHO here, but buying records to keep them sealed is like buying cars to keep them parked in the garage.

Use it, enjoy it, and don't be a "I keep plastic on my furniture" kinda person....

jblnut

I can see it both ways, but ultimately, music is a hobby that can overlap with other type of "collecting"-type hobbies, where possessing something limited or rare with high and potentially increasing value can be satisfying in itself. Think stamps, coins, or some people that have the means actually collect cars.
 
I reminded a friend who bought one of these expensive ultradiscs..... you can reach a point where you are no longer listening to the music and just listening to the recording...

I've caught myself doing that.... We should remember it's the "music" that's important. The MoFi half speed remastered Abraxas (from 2008 I think) is fantastic and costs a fraction of the newer type pressing.

Just some two cents worth of thoughts....
 
Just IMHO here, but buying records to keep them sealed is like buying cars to keep them parked in the garage.

Use it, enjoy it, and don't be a "I keep plastic on my furniture" kinda person....

jblnut
So if I buy two or three copies of the same title, it's your opinion I'm supposed to open all of them?

Even if I don't buy multiple copies of a title, I know I buy more new records faster than I can listen to them all. Not to mention when I first buy them I might not be in the mood to listen to it, but it's in my library when the mood strikes...if at all.

I like the security of multiple copies of something, it only takes one little slip and you can wreck a record. I also don't see a problem buying more than one as depending on the record it can gain value after it goes out of print. So if I get two records new at the price of $35 each, when it's OOP it goes for $75, I just got a free record. And this is the low side, it's hard to say some record really jump in price.

I also don't take the shrink wrap off, I just cut a slit to get the record out, you see the better one takes care of their records the more value they have to others. We don't live forever nor do we all keep our records for ever. Me I like having the "Best" records I can have because...that's just me.
 
So if I buy two or three copies of the same title, it's your opinion I'm supposed to open all of them?

Even if I don't buy multiple copies of a title, I know I buy more new records faster than I can listen to them all. Not to mention when I first buy them I might not be in the mood to listen to it, but it's in my library when the mood strikes...if at all.

I like the security of multiple copies of something, it only takes one little slip and you can wreck a record. I also don't see a problem buying more than one as depending on the record it can gain value after it goes out of print. So if I get two records new at the price of $35 each, when it's OOP it goes for $75, I just got a free record. And this is the low side, it's hard to say some record really jump in price.

I also don't take the shrink wrap off, I just cut a slit to get the record out, you see the better one takes care of their records the more value they have to others. We don't live forever nor do we all keep our records for ever. Me I like having the "Best" records I can have because...that's just me.

Couldn't have said this any better myself, thanks!
Buying and not opening you do take chances of not being able to correct with the seller. However, I sold a sealed bottle of 7up with a big bug in the bottom of the bottle many years ago for 237 times what I paid for it. So you never know what abnormalities people are willing to buy and how much they will pay for it.

In the mean time I will enjoy that copy of the MoFi UD1S that I opened and hopefully never have to open copy #2 because of my failure. :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
Couldn't have said this any better myself, thanks!
Your welcome:D

I should have also added when I buy extra copies I then have them for others that want them later.

one copy for play and the other stays sealed. Between my oldest boy and I we've pretty much got a copy of every one of the original MFSL catalog, including the Beetles and Sinatra box sets,

Well I have a MFSL you most likely don't have, when it came out it was a $20-$25 record

Open copy
IMG_3261.JPG

Sealed copy

IMG_3260.JPG

IMG_3262.JPG

The open copy is at least $700-$800, Sealed copies go for $2000+, so as far as I'm concerned, I'll buy dups and keep some sealed.
 
Last edited:
Generally a record like this resold later that's OOP will have more value sealed. Most people will trust and take a chance on the manufacturer work knowing the seller hasn't touched it. Opposed to the seller saying they opened it to make sure it was fine without manufacturer defects but never played. Did they really never play it?

I for one always think there is a reason a open copy is sold especially if it's a new record. Lots of people buy new records and then they are not happy with the SQ.

Thats a point,though others open it up for the download code coupon.
 
Your welcome:D

I should have also added when I buy extra copies I then have them for others that want them later.



Well I have a MFSL you most likely don't have, when it came out it was a $20-$25 record

Open copy
View attachment 1606949

Sealed copy

View attachment 1606951

View attachment 1606952

The open copy is at least $700-$800, Sealed copies go for $2000+, so as far as I'm concerned, I'll buy dups and keep some sealed.

Yup, that would be one of the holy grails for sure.
Wished I had the cake to get a copy.
 
However, I sold a sealed bottle of 7up with a big bug in the bottom of the bottle many years ago for 237 times what I paid for it.

Considering this thread concerns record pressings, your post about the bug made remember something.

During the 1980's I was employed at stereo & electronics outlets that sold records. Record returns were accepted provided they met certain criteria. I don't remember the LP but a customer returned a copy of something that had a crane fly pressed into the surface.

One of these which are a reasonably large bug:

Crane Fly.jpg
 
If anyone here is interested; musicdirect/MoFi has announced they are now taking preorders for Yes Fragile in ultradisc one step. Limited this time to 7,500 copies.
 
I also took the plunge and has all the UD1S records. They are - to me - all sound excellent in my (VPI Prime TT with Ortofon Cadenza black and Shindo/DeVore O96) main system.

Abraxas to me though is a whole different level and likely the reason I kept buying them. I also order Patricia Barber Face Blue 1Step from RTI so it will be interesting to sort of compare them. Although, to me at least, these should better than the UHQR series which I also have (except DSOM) as well as vs the Beatles and Stones box sets
 
Back
Top Bottom