• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is your biggest regret involving speakers?

Selling off my Janszen Z-824 speakers back in the late 70's!
Regards,
Jim
 
Passing on mint Altec 604E's for some money and a trade.

Passed on some Model 17's from the same seller. Should have gotten these since I didn't have at children at the time and had money.
 
Selling my Boston VR2s...
And I'm not even sure why, because my Kefs sound better anyway... but I still miss them.
 
Selling my Tympani 1C’s for 300 dollars.
I did the same thing! Mine were 1Ds, for similar money iirc... now I see them selling for well over a grand.
Ah well, they were too big for my current digs anyway.

Trading my Ohm Walsh 4s for a Honda was another bad move. It was a fair deal, but I miss those speakers a lot more than that car!
 
Not having enough room anymore to use my Infinity RS-1s. Still have them though. They're just sitting in my hallway. Have resisted selling them.
 
Selling my rosewood Acarian Alon IV's years ago. I really did need the money though. At least I know their in good hands with a good friend.
 
Pushing a subwoofer back into position, which was pulling on wires to receiver, which caused said receiver to fall backwards off stool, which in turn caused audio to cut out, then back on after a few seconds, which revealed a blown tweeter in a Phase Tech PC1.:mad:

Or when rearranging speakers, I lifted a Nova 7 from a stand and turned slowly to carry said speaker to new location, a stack of Marantz imp 6's on same stand decided to attack me from behind, delivering quite a blow to my head, and causing much broken glass to need gathering, not to mention damage to refinished imp 6 and other random components.:mad:

Hmmmm, how do I rank these?:idea:

Well I know for sure it wasn't the time a Onkyo tape deck went into oscillation and took out a Baby II Advent tweeter.:mad:


Hmmm, biggest regret...:idea:


Wait a second,....was it that my Kenwood LS-403c's sold before I could fetch them home?

Pretty sure it wasn't when after Refoaming EPI TE/100 woofers both woofers developed voice coil failures that eventually needed rebuilding, which in turn caused said speakers to show a difficult 3 ohm load to receivers and distort unevenly after rebuild.
 
Last edited:
Selling my JBL L-19a's I refoamed. Believe or not I also regret selling a set of Cerwin AT-8's; there are certain rap songs with bass I listen to that these CV's could pick up flawlessly. Even my 122db car system can't pick up certain bass notes that these little bookshelves could.
 
Speaker regrets

1. not going and buying a pair of JBL L300 for about $700. Needed one woofer repaired, had a damaged surround. I like the current JBL better than I like the L300, but I would have made coin selling them a few years later.

2. Putting my Cabasse Catalane 500 up for sale. A speaker worth keeping. And at one time if I could have gotten down to California I could have bought a pair of Cabasse Pacifica for a very reasonable price, in the mid $2000 as I recall.

3. Trading in a pair of Mourdant Short MS 30i for a pair of Snell E II. The Snell are one of the worst speakers I ever heard, I just could not throw them far enough. I ended up trading them back to Echo Audio for a pair of Cabasse Farella 401.

Really all my speaker regrets have been pushed aside since I bought my JBL 4365 a few years ago. Love the speakers, so none of the other regrets matter now. Well except for missing out on all that money I could have put in my audio kitty by passing on those JBL. Well there was that deal to where I passed on buying a small pair of Tannoy with HPD drivers in them for $500. I could have done nicely on those also.

Cheers
Mister Pig
 
I truly can't say I have any regrets about selling off speakers. I have given away some that I regret doing tho. I made bad choices in who they went to!!! They are probably in a pawn shop or worse.

I tend to find joy in the hunt, restoration and then passing on the goodness to a deserving home. At one point I had a whole bedroom full of speakers and really never enjoyed more than a few. I realized then it was time to be realistic and keep what I wanted and move the rest. I have about 5 systems around the house now and all but the HT system has vintage speakers. I have one pair or ARs in the shop I am working on. They will be keepers for a while, you never know. Regardless, I will never regret passing on a bargain or passing on the karma.
 
Selling my mostly mint Sony ESPRIT APM-6 speakers because of a bad woofer coil. They’re fixable now and have been for several years. They had the very rare Sony ESPRIT stands too. Damnit.
 
Selling off my Mac early 1990 purchased XRT-22`s, when I upgraded to the current XRT-30`s now in their place, in late 2003 !

No room in my bedroom to replace/upgrade the Mac 1993 XRT-18`s in there at the time without the XRT-22`s bass cabinets blocking a good portion of the master bedroom windows..
Probably should have offered to my next door neighbor B-I-L, who thought very highly of them, so as to keep them in in the family, so to speak..
Oh well, somebody bought them off eBay, so I hope they found a good home, as they were very good sounding speakers..
 
I feel and understand your pain!

For me, I was browsing through eBay, early one Sunday morning. And to my shock and surprise, someone had a pair of Infinity RS-1B speakers, for a Buy It Now price of $800 Bucks...! I yelled to my wife that I was going to buy a pair of $800 Dream Speakers. She said "OK". I turned back to my computer, clicked the Buy button, and the speakers were gone! Thirty seconds too late. At least, I still have my wife. :D Though, I still think about the beauties that got away. :(
You mean beautiful speakers that got away right?:bigok:
 
Back
Top Bottom