• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is your biggest regret involving speakers?

ill go first... about 20 years ago in high school I had a pair of JBL L-100 century speakers... I replaced the tweeters with peerless silk domes and had the heavy cast midranges rebuilt... at some point one of the woofers died... I decided not to rebuild the woofers and used the mid ranges and tweeters to make a center channel... and three the l-100’s away... I still feel stupid
This doesnt have to do with any speaker mods, but a friend of mine almost threw out of the window his B&W303's and brand new Klipsch R-15m after hearing my lowly Polk Audio TSx200.
 
Buying a pair Emerald Physics CS 3 for 700 without the X-over for them. Through them rt in the dumpster.
I got suckered but never again!
 
Dovedale 3s, utterly mint condition and fully recapped with Crosscaps.

Sadly alterations to the living room, meant no practical spot to locate them.
 
Not checking my listening room thoroughly for my cat before closing the door to enjoy some music.

My 1-year (at the time), clawed the driver on my favorite speakers thus far. Still haven't found a matching rubber surround to repair them (Sony SS-M3).
 
Back in 1973 I bought a pair of Altec Model 9's. Had them for 30 years before woofer foam started to deteriorate. I was ignorant about the ease of re-foaming and replaced the woofers with some cheapo automotive subs. Threw out the old woofs. eventually the cabinets started falling apart and I just tossed the whole lot into a dumpster. Ah the days of dumb.
 
Selling my AR5's. Don't know what I was thinking, they were in perfect condition and I had just re-foamed / re-capped them. Guess I just had too many speakers and I got tired of moving them around. Should've put them in a closet and forgot about 'em for a while, I'll never find another pair and certainly not in such nice shape. Oh well!
 
In the past I've been in need of funds and had to let speakers go, which always leads me to regret doing so. Ones that I regret the most are Infinity RS2, Kef 101 Reference,
Wilson Watt/Puppy, and Icon Parsec. What do I have now, and hopefully never "have to sell"? B & W Matrix 805 (used as rear channels in a secondary system) Meridian Argent A3 (same system, main channels) and Infinity RS1b, which will probably stay with me until I end up in a home.
 
No big regrets, this hobby is all about experimenting with different setups and learning from mistakes.

I had some early 70's Altec 12" coax speakers in a custom cabinet and could never get them to sound great in my finished basement.

I sold them when I thought I had too many speakers at the time.

I've learned that these Altecs have a small sweet spot and the room acoustics are a big factor in how a system sounds.

I wish I kept them and set them up properly in the right room.

Cheers,

Snade
 
Last edited:
When I was going away to school my dad gave me his old kenwood receiver (can’t recall the model, from the 70s) and a pair of advents (can’t recall the model). The surrounds rotted out and I didn’t know they could be fixed. When I graduated I left the speakers and receiver with my old roommate. When he moved a year later he curb pretty much everything that was in the place. It’s not that the system was good or anything (with shot surrounds) it’s that the gear was one of the few things I ever got from my father. Wish I still had it for sentimental value.
 
That I didn't buy 4 Mcintosh MC 3500's when I had the chance to bi-amp my speakers in stead I tried MC 275's MC 2100's 2200's 2250's, Crown DC 300A, D-150 A, and P2SA. The Crown did almost what I wanted, but MC 7200 were better. . Though I have to admit that now that I tri-amped the MC 207 does a great job. Can you imagine the cost of operating MC 3500's for 50 years. But I would have a valid excuse to take the amps to Audio Classics every 5 years for a check up. I am still looking for the right replacement speakers, but I haven't found them yet after 50 years. Loan me a couple 100,000 And I'll get more serious in my searching. Its been two years since I have done any serious tire kicking..
 
Selling my DCM Timeframe 600s for $200 in 1997. Needed cash for Christmas and they were just sitting in the basement because my oldest was a toddler and every time he grabbed on to them the rear legs folded and they fell against the wall. Not safe.
 
Actually, at one time I had a dedicated oscilliscope made just for home stereo use. I think that it was made by JVC.

At the time I had my JBL LE175s drivers mounted directly to the cabinets with no horns (aka Westlake and a few others). I traded the scope for a new in the box pair of the JBL short horns with the slant plates. I have never seen a similar scope, and the horns are/were much easier to come by. Would love to have the scope back.
 
My biggest regret. Selling my JBL B460 subwoofer. I got tired of having to recone the woofer every 10-12 years due to surround foam rot. Then of course the inability to get original JBL parts because JBL stopped manufacturing them and I found the facimilies not to be as rugged as the original
 
Years ago, someone gave a pair of OLA size speakers,,, in walnut veneer cabinets, that I connected to my Sansui 800 as a channel B option... They sounded pretty good... I moved them for painting/remodeling, I don't remember, and stored em in the attic for some time... A friend wanted to put together a system, so I dug em out and gave them to him... He said they didn't sound good,,, took the covers off and saw the "speaker cones" desinigrating, so he trashed them!! Now I never heard of AK or any other audio forum back then, but would have researched em before chucking them in the trash!!!
Never knew what they were, but I'll bet they were decent, and could have been refoamed,,,
If knew then what I know now!!
 
Back
Top Bottom