• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is your perfect speaker?

My wife's opinion:

The ideal speaker will be the diameter and thickness of a quarter, and can be painted to match the wall. Sigh.......

fcc
 
My wife's opinion:

The ideal speaker will be the diameter and thickness of a quarter, and can be painted to match the wall. Sigh.......

My wife would add WIRELESS to that. Though to be fair she was okay with 100lb speakers in our family room, and in fact likes them. I was able to sort of build them in.
 
Ok, previously I have asked for opinions on favorite vintage speakers. I have also posted about my inability to find a speaker that is hard to find fault with. So, if you can only choose one speaker to live with, what do you choose. Be realistic make it a speaker you can afford. I'm really interested in what everyone might consider to be a near perfect speaker.

cubdog

It isn't built yet, but Zilch is helping me with a DIY project with JBL horns and JBL drivers. I'm hoping it's my perfect speaker... until I retire it to the bedroom and put a BIGGER DIY project using JBL horns and drivers in the living room :thmbsp:
 
Since I posted, I've fallen in love with a pair of maggies 1.6's...when set up properly can make the wall disappear into 3d holographic estcasy!!! Heck, they are middle of the line speakers in the magnepan line-up!!!

The only caveat, bring lots of power......
 
Maggies. Big old Maggies. The kind that their owners wouldn't sell for love nor money, and that I couldn't afford anyhow! Barring that, one of the most remarkable speaker systems I ever auditioned was a pair of Hales Signature 3s. One system I'd really love to hear is a pair of Mc XR1051s; Roger Russell maintains it was one of the best sounding systems he ever devised, and I have a lively respect for the man and his speakers.
 
There were a Swedish loudspeaker brand manufactured during the -70´s
called Sonab. They were very popular and were exported to many contries.

The Sonabs were the only speakers I could find in these days that didn´d sound like normal speakers.They did not have the coloring and distorsion that were significant for most speakers.
Today these Sonabs have become a real cult speaker,and there is a site where You can find information how to renovate and so on.
I have renovated OD11,OA12 and OA14 with newly designed woofer replacements,tweeters and updated xo,according to this site.
I can tell You this is speakers without any speaker sound,the clearness and openess is unbelievable.
/gusten

I sold a lot of Sonab in the mid-seventies while a college student/hi-fi salesman. Always thought thought of them as Bose done right.

I used a demo pair of OA-14's as "back channels" to my KLH 6's in our living room. The direct-reflecting tweeter really filled out the sound. Great party system! SAE power. Revox A-77 tape. Thorens TD-145 table. Marantz 10B Tuner. Cold beer. Coeds. Life was good!:thmbsp:
 
Any Tannoy prestige series or vintage monitor golds or the like, or some QUAD esl's. Too bad i'm a jobless college student...
 
I just briefly skimmed through the lists, but I was surprised not to see Acoustat speakers mentioned (unless i missed them). Likewise the Energy Veritas 2.8 which I figured somebody must have been awestruck by.
 
THe perfect speaker?

Well, in a theater the Altec A7, but in the home the AR-LST. In my youth while working for Lafayette Radio I could buy AR's for 15% below our corp. cost but didn't. I kick myself for that.
 
Right now EPI 202

IMGP1174.jpg
 
Perfect Speaker?

Hmmmm. As a seller, my perfect loudspeaker entails (off the top of my head):

Firstly, they have to be *very* faithful reproducers for their price.

Second, they must have a healthy profit margin.

Third, they use in-house proprietary drivers which are impossible to duplicate anyplace else.

Fourth, like #3, a cabinet which uses an extremely difficult manufacturing process, also with proprietary matierials.

Fifth, tight control over distribution but yet a large distributorship. Parts only available from the manufacturer.

Sixth, extremely affordable for the technology and performance offered.

Seventh, 15 year warranty on parts AND labour.

Eighth, no consecutive serial numbers on products in an effort to keep used market values up and protect owners investment should a sale be neccessary.

Ninth, 24 hour armed guard protecting the garbage bin behind the manufacturing facility.
 
I love my 4x Celestion 25's ....I replaced the tweeters with Stryke Audio Dome Tweeters....Very happy with the results!! Cambridge Audio R-50's for seconds....
 
being new here, and new to the vintage stuff...I have only 4 sets of speakers, baby and new large advents, castle pembrokes, and recently AR91s. So far, I love the AR91s, they can take pretty much anything I throw at them.
With that said, the castles fit the WAF better as they are much smaller.

I am really a budget guy, so I wouldn't be able to sneak in most of the speakers that have been talked about in this thread.
 
Hi...I bought a Grundig Receiver and a pair of Danish "ARENA" Brand Speaker boxes for $55.00 CDN....inside were an 8" Sonab woofer and a 2" paper cone tweeter. I still have them, and use them on my Vintage Early 60's Telefunken Tube Receiver. The sound is awesome from these speakers..."Very Fresh" sounding!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom