• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is your perfect speaker?

Now that I have had several more years of personal discovery, for the average living room I think I think the AMT ESS or JBL 4410A monitors would be my "on a deserted island" picks! For those larger living rooms then modified Altec 19's or JBL L-300's. Depending on how your listening space is complimented, your electronics driving hem and the engineer of the music, it can all vary.
There are so many great picks out there ot is hard to nail it down to a top 5!

DC
 
I bought a brand new pair of AR 2ax's 32 years ago and have been listening to them continuously ever since, so I would have to say these fit that description for me. I listened to and rejected something like two dozen other speakers (including then higher in the AR line AR-3a and AR-5) before buying these, so they were not a cost compromise for me, I just liked their sound better. I've since picked up a pair of 3a's and a pair of 6's that I use in other rooms, but the 2ax's remain my favorites.
Always like the old ARs but never owned them. When I worked briefly for Harmon Kardon we could buy JBL wholesale, hence my L100s. Wish I still had them.
 
When I had my JBL L100s you could tell which albums were using the studio monitor versions for mixing. The only difference was the studio monitors had exposed mid and high controls. Those knobby grills were great too, until they fell apart.
 
Th
Early AR 2AX. I keep trying others but always come back to these. Dynaco A25's close second. And when I finally get to my project 3A's we'll see if things change.

IMGP1139.jpg
They made a nice turntable too.
 
Well, I dont know what budget many people have here, but based on many choices - better than I can do.Most speakers here - I have never heard/seen in real life. I'm sure there are some amazing ones out there. Yet all I can judge is based on what I have/had - in my budget. And of course, its hard to select just one pair - reason many of us here have so many different speakers. To my ears, ones that seem to do many things right are Klipsch - KG4 and Heresey III. even KG 4.5. I also really like my Source speakers. Ones that somehow Special to me are Celestion - Ditton 442. ADS L710 are very good. I have some others as well, but if I had to chose just one - any of these would keep me pretty happy. And still wouldnt break my bank.
 
I've still got many years worth of speakers to listen to, so this would be very premature, but for the time being some of my keepers....

- Yamaha NS 1000 w/ YST-SW1000
- JBL L5
- GNP 220
- Pioneer S-T300

And, I just got, but haven't listened to yet, a pair of Mission Argonaut 780 mkII ... Really hoping these will be keepers when I get a chance to listen.
 
I bought a brand new pair of AR 2ax's 32 years ago and have been listening to them continuously ever since, so I would have to say these fit that description for me. I listened to and rejected something like two dozen other speakers (including then higher in the AR line AR-3a and AR-5) before buying these, so they were not a cost compromise for me, I just liked their sound better. I've since picked up a pair of 3a's and a pair of 6's that I use in other rooms, but the 2ax's remain my favorites.

from 2007 thread:
Got two for re-work on mid, tweeters and bad rheostats, when time allows. Now using them, bass driver only, using external x-over to Audio Technica PS-5, for top ends. I love to hear what the 2ax's would sound as new

Right now, star date 2019. Nice thread CubDog!

Liking my new lucky find, a new immaculate pair of Snell E-III. Love the Snell's sound over my previous 3 way speakers. Smoother...and very happy with bass from this 2 way speaker. Of course all high end speaker "throw aways" will be accepted for evaluation ;) Snell built a THX ready system, several $10k systems of the time. Shame Snell passed away, before his years.. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1991-08-16-9103290467-story.html
 
Back
Top Bottom