• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What Kind of Speakers are these?

Vangoat

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Saw these for sale near me. No badging visible. Can anyone identify these please. and if so are they any good or worth fixing. Thanks!37132296_176843546513593_3026897280100728832_n.jpg 37015879_176734063191208_1421938237185720320_n.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I suspect they're nothing special...but ya never know. If they're super-cheap (like 5 bucks or so) some usable parts could be harvested. Or...if you've never refoamed a woofer they would be a good learning tool. A pair of foams is cheap on the 'bay and it's knowledge you probably could use in the future.
 
They look like they were produced in the late eighties to nineties, looks like something that may surprise you. It’s kind of hard to tell until you hook them up to a 100watt amp. They look like a top of the line Polk Audio tower speaker....
 
Thank you. I have re foamed a pair of 10" on some DQ-10's which came out perfect. Still looking for a reasonably priced mid speaker for the one DQ though. At this very moment I am going to do a re foam on a pair of 15" from a set CW D9's that were given to me for free. Boy these things are massive.
Probably end up in the garage if I don't sell them, way to large for my living room. LOL!
 
They were asking $40.00. I might get lucky yet and someone might ID them. Thanks Guys.
 
Meh. The L-pads look useful...

They look like MCS’ cheap spinoff, Sonic. They might sound... okay.
 
They look like they were produced in the late eighties to nineties, looks like something that may surprise you. It’s kind of hard to tell until you hook them up to a 100watt amp. They look like a top of the line Polk Audio tower speaker....
drivers are crap, cabs are crap; seriously i don't know it can surprise anyone….
 
I don’t know......

If they aren’t damaged, hook’em up to a powerful Crown amp and see. I really can’t just say they’re no good without a good listen. What just because they don’t look like other speakers....heck, clean’em up and shoot some clear polyurethane on’em, replace the surrounds and give’em to some kid for his birthday. So what if they aren’t the latest and greatest...
 
I don’t know......

If they aren’t damaged, hook’em up to a powerful Crown amp and see. I really can’t just say they’re no good without a good listen. What just because they don’t look like other speakers....heck, clean’em up and shoot some clear polyurethane on’em, replace the surrounds and give’em to some kid for his birthday. So what if they aren’t the latest and greatest...
You'll never hear what these sound like in the condition they are in. The woofers need reforming before any power is sent through them. For a safe test to see if the drivers are working is to lay them on their backs and hooked up to your amp. Listen to them at very low volume. I wouldn't expect much from them once refoamed, but could be fun beaters for the garage or shop if you have the space. Or, don't bother and leave them where you saw them.
 
Back
Top Bottom