• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What musical instruments do you have in the house?

On the subject of instruments, the progression of electric piano and organ technology is quite fascinating, it has moved through phases, st one time using punched cards and discs.

 
Drums. Lots and lots of drums. Mostly Yamaha recording custom, covering the majority of available sizes. 8-18”; 18, 20 and 22” bass drums. I’ve even mixed my blue ones and black ones for a unique kit. And a late 60’s/early 70’s Yamaha D-20 kit in red ripple. (Note Yamaha just started making drums in 1967) I was going to sell that kit but I’m waiting to see if my son wants it. I’m down to only six snares now- I think. I could probably cut a few more loose and in fact one is listed on eBay now (a DW collectors series). I use an old beat up Acrolite the most.

We also have an Acrosonic (made by Baldwin) piano that my wife’s grandfather bought new. A couple djembes- one I brought back from Africa myself and another my Son wanted last time we were in Boston. There was a vendor on the common with a pile of them.

My son also has a decent collection of other instruments- he loves guitar (big SRV and Oz Noy fan at age four) and has a small one, sort of a six string ukulele is the best way to describe it. Action is a mile high but he loves it. I should address that... An accordion, couple sets of toy xylophones (bells really- steel keys on them, not wood). I also have one 58 strat replica I made when I was doing that. A couple small amps for it too.

my wife plays a bit of piano and I play drums. We will support and encourage the little man with whatever instrument he latches onto. And of course he’ll have a sweet stereo when the time comes. He already has a portable CD player (which is why all my SRV CDs are missing...)
 
What musical instruments do you have in the house?

I think this is a unique thread for this forum; variants have been done in lots of the other forums…

Other than my two girls and their flute playing, we’re not terribly musically inclined, but are very interested, and play AT various instruments without formal instruction, beyond the girls and school band (Both got good enough to solo at least once each). I’ve dabbled informally at the guitar, harmonica, mandolin, and am starting on my most recent acquisition, a 5 string Kay open back banjo, none with formal instruction.

SWMBO has some informal guitar playing behind her, many years ago, and both girls dabble informally on the piano, and are pretty good on it all things considered. (I know a couple of strings of notes on the piano, but that’s it.). My son shows the least interest, he has a harmonica that he fiddled with a bit.

I’ve become even more interested in somewhat odd instruments after recently seeing the Decembrists, Primus and a really wild Gypsy punk group called Gogol Bordello that opened for Primus. All three groups used instruments not ordinarily used for rock (Primus was closest to standard rock, but the base player is the lead musician, and played the various basses he used more like a lead guitarist.). The Decembrists in particular kept changing instruments, accordion, violin, mandolin, lute, banjo, the list is long. Gogol Bordello even was using a couple of washboards for percussion effects!

In any case, we have acquired quite a collection over the years, and have arranged many of them on display around our piano. With thirty six instruments and counting, there is enough here to have a session, if enough people that could actually play were in the house at one time. :guitar: :rockon: :banana: :sing: It got me to wondering how many other people have instruments, whether they can play or not, and how many and of what kinds.

To start things off, here is my list with a little info if known:

Yamaha Acoustic guitar - steel string - 73
Yamaha Acoustic guitar - nylon string - 60's?
Granada Acoustic guitar - Steel string - 76
Fender Squire Acoustic guitar - steel string - 2004
Kay 5 string banjo, open back 50's?
Samick Mandolin, 2023 Greg Bennett design ~2000?
New York Pro Mandolin (China) 2003
Bulgetta Banjolin, closed back (English) Old!
Mountain Dulcimer
Hosco Ukulele
Zither - Old
Artley Flute
Vito Flute
Chanter (Bagpipe practice Chanter) 2004 x2 (My daughter and I both bought one)
Reed Flute, Mexico
Hohner Marine band harp (harmonica) C 1960's – My dads
Hohner Marine band harp (harmonica) G 1960's – My dads
Hohner Echo harp 55/80 M2 (harmonica) C/G
Hohner Echo harp 57/120 M2 (harmonica) C/G
Hohner Little Lady harp (harmonica) 4 holes, 8 reeds… 2003
Hohner Marine band harp (harmonica) C 2003
Blues band harp (harmonica) C 2004
Ocarinas (Both girls have one)
Recorder - Wood
Mouth Harp (Jew's Harp)
Kazoo
Spin hand Drum
Hand Drum 2002, (Ceramic and rawhide, looks African, bought at the renaissance faire, Djembe?)
Tambourine
Bongos
mbira. (African, also known as Likembe, Mbila, Board Piano, Thumb Piano, Mbira Huru, Mbira Njari, Mbira Nyunga Nyunga, Karimba or Kalimba)
Wurlitzer Accordion,
Wurlitzer Upright Piano
Rainstick
I have a 1972 Rogers drum set that was my Grandpas. It a New England series and all the wraps are original. Both bass drums have 20 lugs per drum, it has zildjian cymbals and a ludwig 10 lug snare. I would have to say it's my most prized possesion.
 

Attachments

  • photostudio_1581872088720.jpg
    photostudio_1581872088720.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 9
  • photostudio_1581872032557.jpg
    photostudio_1581872032557.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 7
  • photostudio_1581872058792.jpg
    photostudio_1581872058792.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 7
  • photostudio_1581872124261.jpg
    photostudio_1581872124261.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 7
A Djembe, a west African Dondo, a Didjeridu, a Bodhran, a Banjo, and a custom made left-handed Viola. I also play the keyboard, but don't currently have one.
 
I know there's no difference in SQ, but I've always likes the look of a nicely bound, Sunburst Telecaster. I have had a few, the best of 'em was a circa '69 SB/Bound Esquire.
I believe Fender has released a Squier Esquire bound sunburst reissue. I’m mighty tempted.
 
2 Carvin 4-string basses
1 Squier VM/something-else, 4-string fretted n fretless necks, Nordy pups, fancy tuners, etc
1 Ibanez SR800 bass
2 2-string basses
2 classical guitars
3 harmonicas (all C's)
1 cajon
1 djembe
1 tambourine
1 set maracas
1 African finger-piano

lots of bass amplification
 
steel string acoustic and electric guitars, too much to count. Plus parts.
3 nylon string guitars
6 amps
2 pa systems
2 bass guitars
baritone guitar
3 soprano ukes
baritone uke
5' Baby Grand piano
2 keyboards
harmonicas in each key
family of recorders
2 violins
banjo
cajon and percussive things
mandolin
flute

i'm probably forgetting something...
 
Nothing but guitars.
About 20 electric, 4 acoustic.
So, either not enough, or a few too many.
I've actually got more amps than guitars, but I built most of them.
 
Back
Top Bottom