• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What song do you want played at your funeral?

I'm seriously afraid I would have to come back and haunt anyone responsible for playing anything off that list at my burying.

[/I].

:yippy::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
Man, I was on the floor for 10 min straight///

On my funeral I want "Stairways to heaven" by Led Zep, followed by "Highway to hell" by AC/DC...
 
I asked my husband this question. He answered:

Play that Funky Music White Boy. Won't that go over well at a Catholic Mass?
 
On a more serious note, "Amazing Grace" by the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards would be nice. Another one is "Will the Circle Be Unbroken", the one off the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's album of the same name. The SECOND movement of Chopin's Funeral March has always been a favorite of mine-its TOTALLY unlike the more famous "Dum-dum-dah-dum" part. Another hymn I like is the Irish "Be Thou My Vision", & round it off with "Not Alone For Mighty Empire". If they play those, I MIGHT not come back & haunt everybody...
 
Hmmm...

As if I would care at the time, but just off the top of my head....

Don't Fear the Reaper - BOC
Devil Man - White Zombie
I will Follow you into the Dark - Death Cab for Cutie

Lotsa songs from the Cramps, including...

Let's Get F*cked Up
Zombie Dance
Aloha from Hell
Kizmiaz

and as far as Pink Floyd goes, a very underrated album is Obscured by Clouds, which includes the following two songs...



Free Four

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
You shuffle in gloom of the sickroom
And talk to yourself as you die.

Life is a short, warm moment
And death is a long cold rest.
You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
Eighty years, with luck, or even less.

So all aboard for the American tour,
And maybe you'll make it to the top.
And mind how you go, and I can tell you, 'cause I know
You may find it hard to get off.

You are the angel of death
And I am the dead man's son.
And he was buried like a mole in a fox hole.
And everyone is still in the run.

And who is the master of fox hounds?
And who says the hunt has begun?
And who calls the tune in the courtroom?
And who beats the funeral drum?

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
You shuffle in gloom in the sickroom
And talk to yourself till you die.




Childhood's End

you shout in your sleep
perhaps the price is just too steep
is your conscience at rest
if once put to the test
you awake with a start
to just the beating of your heart
just one man beneath the sky
just two ears just two eyes

you set sail across the sea
of long past thoughts and memories
childhood's end your fantasies
merge with harsh realities
and then as the sail is hoist
you find your eyes are growing moist
and all the fears never voiced
say you have to make the final choice

who are you and who am I
to say we know the reason why
some are born some men die
beneath one infinite sky
there'll be war there'll be peace
but everything one day will cease
all the iron turned to rust
all the proud men turned to dust
and so all things time will mend
so this song will end



EDIT: Can't forget Springsteen's Dead Man Walking...

There's a pale horse comin
And I'm gonna ride it
I'll rise in the mornin
With my fate beside it

I'm a dead man walkin
I'm a dead man walkin

In Saint James Parish
I was born and Christened
How I got my story
Mister, there ain't no need for you to listen

It's just a dead man talkin

Bridge: I had a job, I had a girl
But between our dreams and actions lie this world

In the deep forest
Their blood and tears rushed over me
All I could feel was the drugs and shotgun
And my fear up inside me

Like a dead man talkin

Bridge: Neath the summer sky my eyes went black
Sister, I won't ask for forgiveness, my sins are all I have

Now the clouds above my prison
Move slowly cross the sky
There's a new day comin
And my dreams are full tonight.




Cheers?
 
Flippin Heck I just noticed this thread .. I started one on Vinyl Engine as

3 Songs you want played at your Wake / Funeral

The coffin slides away, people file past, and your favourite records start playing ...

My selection

"Keep Your Hands off My Woman" by Louisiana Red
(Actually hope a live band will be playing this)

"That Old Rocking Chair" Jack Teagarden & Louis Armstrong

"Big Noise from Winetka" Jack Teagarden


A close friend of mine also wants a moving arm waving to all the congregation as the coffin slides away
 
Jackson Browne's For A Dancer

If someone insists on Amazing Grace, make it Joan Baez's version. And follow that with her cover of Dylan's Forever Young.

Finish the service with the first song I ever truly loved -- Wooly Bully.
 
Hell ,i dont even want to be there let along have a song.

i am not frightened of dying
anytime'll do

i don't mind

why should i be frightened of dying?
there's no reason for it

ya gotta go sometime...

The first time I heard this (Pink Floyd for you non rockers) I knew this would be my funerary song. It gets right to the heart of peoples' fear of death.

Never thought I'd be listing it after 37 years:banana:

Not afraid? Hmmm:scratch2:
 
I work everyday with those who have survived motorcycle accidents,strokes and are now totally or near totally dependent on care for the most fundamental things,not to mention Alzheimer,Dementia,Cancer clients who are in the same boat,and I can assure you all;There are fates WORSE than death.
Consider that.
I see an upside to dying quickly(and young).
Whether the person dies,or survives to suffer the above mentioned fates,there is suffering for the loved-ones who are left behind.
I won't kill myself,but I pray that when my time comes,it's quick.
 
Theo's right. My mother's mother lived to be 3 months shy of 103, but from 96 on, she was more or less in a coma-lights were on, but nobody was home. She fell & broke her hip, they fixed it, but she never really came out of the anasthetic. She about half knew us the 1st 6 months or so, after that it was pure looney tunes. Her mind was gone, but her body refused to give up. We were all relieved when she finally went to sleep.
 
I work everyday with those who have survived motorcycle accidents,strokes and are now totally or near totally dependent on care for the most fundamental things,not to mention Alzheimer,Dementia,Cancer clients who are in the same boat,and I can assure you all;There are fates WORSE than death.
Consider that.
I see an upside to dying quickly(and young).
Whether the person dies,or survives to suffer the above mentioned fates,there is suffering for the loved-ones who are left behind.
I won't kill myself,but I pray that when my time comes,it's quick.

Would music help in these cases? Would bed ridden, terminal cases benefit from a continuous pipe in of their favourite music into their room? I wonder if this thing is done. I mean setting up an audio room for the terminal patient? There are TV sets in most hospital rooms in Manila but the audio is horrible.
 
I've got a friend of mine that goes to people's bed-side and sings to them AS their dying. Kinda creepy but she likes doing it.
 
Anybody remembers a Paul Newman movie where he is in prison and has just learned that his mama died? He strums a banjo (or ukelele) and sings a song I've never hear again but i still remember.

It goes like, "plastic jesus, plastic jesus, riding in the dashboard of my car. Hail mary full of grace won't you find a parking space, riding in the dashboard of my car." or something like that.

Cried like a baby, yes i did, though the lyrics wasn't even close to the situation of a dead mother. I'd like somebody so sing like that for me when I am dead and gone. Yeah...that's it. Everyone in my funeral has to cry a river. Everyone mourns that I am dead by singing sad songs. :music:
 
Anybody remembers a Paul Newman movie where he is in prison and has just learned that his mama died? He strums a banjo (or ukelele) and sings a song I've never hear again but i still remember.

It goes like, "plastic jesus, plastic jesus, riding in the dashboard of my car. Hail mary full of grace won't you find a parking space, riding in the dashboard of my car." or something like that.

Cried like a baby, yes i did, though the lyrics wasn't even close to the situation of a dead mother. I'd like somebody so sing like that for me when I am dead and gone. Yeah...that's it. Everyone in my funeral has to cry a river. Everyone mourns that I am dead by singing sad songs. :music:
"I don't care if it rains or freezes,
Long as I have my plastic Jesus,
Ridin' on the dashboard of my car......."



(I have the song)
 
Back
Top Bottom