• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What speakers are these hanging from the ceiling?? (pictures)

G871

Active Member
These are for sale somewhat close to me....person doesn't indicate that they know what make/model they are. JBL's? I have no clue really, but the labels on the backs of the quad setup look JBL-ish.

Anyone know for sure?

And what's up with the port holes? Just holes, with no tubes? And are those little slotted round things close to the woofers drivers of some sort? Never seen any like that....excited to learn.

36552240_10216826850081593_8604671754368974848_n.jpg

36367179_10216826845881488_5562759715278028800_n.jpg

36488237_10216826846161495_7684722878058594304_n.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Appear to be "customs" that would appear to have JBL components. Woofers appear to have been refoamed to the outside of the cones (a no no). If real JBL, the horn/lens/driver are worth beaucoup bucks
 
Those small round drivers are JBL-077 Slot tweeters, there appear to be some quality drivers in these.
 
Appear to be "customs" that would appear to have JBL components. Woofers appear to have been refoamed to the outside of the cones (a no no). If real JBL, the horn/lens/driver are worth beaucoup bucks
I dunno, look close, looks like the accordian style surrounds. Maybe replaced with correct style but on the front edge? That detail is difficult to see. Regardless, that's some coin hanging up there!
 
Iiiiiiiinteresting. :) I thought that might be the case! (Good drivers) Thanks for your contributions, all...I'll see what I can do and report back.
 
Iiiiiiiinteresting. :) I thought that might be the case! (Good drivers) Thanks for your contributions, all...I'll see what I can do and report back.
Are they for sale? Just curious, what's the venue?
 
It "kind of" looks like a JBL 4300 professional monitor, but some things are out of place. Maybe its an earlier revision. I have the JBL Story book as a reference.

It's a great book BTW. Filled with fun stuff.

jbl story.jpg
 
Last edited:
Yep they are for sale, but turns out they are 5.5 hours away....4 cabinets, $500 each....and then 2 of the quad setups, and he has the amps for them too. (Not sure what amps) Not sure I want to drive that far....
 
Wow, ok. That's quite a development. That's why I love this place. Every time I have a question, it gets answered. Extremely valuable resource, because of all the awesome people here.

But....11 hours round trip, and I think I could only fit two speakers in my vehicle. If it was $500 for a pair, I'd probably jump on it. But 1000? Think I'm gonna pass. Anyone want the info to go after them yourself? They're in Overland Park, KS.
 
Last edited:
After a closer look, my take,

Speakers are ~1973 vintage because the 2405 tweeters use the horseshoe rather than has the 4 bolt holes. This is just before the 077s came out. You're looking at ~$500/pr

Horn/lens is a 2390, similar to that used on the Hartsfield, except black instead of champagne in keeping with the pro line. The driver may be a BIG 4" 2440 mounted right on the horn, or a 2420 using a 2" - 4" adapter for the horn. In either case (especially the first), you could be looking at $1K+ each side on the open market.

I'm thinking that the woofers are actually Gauss and not JBL. This is evidenced by the dark surround used by Gauss and TAD, rather than lighter cork used by JBL. Also the JBL and TAD would show the leads on the cones, but not the Gauss. Gauss are worth whatever you can get for them. In good shape, you would be looking at $100+ each. There are no recone kits that I know of, so... A friend wanted to give me a pair of Gauss 15 bass speakers recently but I had no need for them and suggested he sell them to a bass player.

Obviously the tweeter arrays are 2402s and prices can go from $100 - $200 for each tweeter.

You also have value in the crossovers, and cabinets.

I am giving you realistic prices that would apply to a major metropolitan area (e.g., LA) and not some ebay pie-in-the-sky value.
 
Man you guys have some great eyes, sorry for the miss on the slot ID, I hadn't noticed they were black until I really zoomed in...
 
The 2405's are cobbed in there using an adapter plate, if you look at the OP's picture carefully, you can see the top 2 of the 2405's four mounting bolts in the deep recess around the outer lens of the 2405.

The outer 3 bolt pattern is what the "adapter" plate is secured to. They are the original, factory, Gauss compression tweeter bolt holes as shown in my first picture of what they originally looked like.

Great Plains Audio used to service several models of Gauss cone drivers, and they still list diaphragms for Gauss HF drivers.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom