• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

what was your favorite record store that is no more

turbomustang

Well-Known Member
Mine was a chain called liquorice pizza in California ,
not sure if they were anywhere else .but before any outdoor concert we would stop and pick up a bunch of their liquorice pizza labeled Frisbee's to toss around during the breaks in the show.
plus they had a great selection of Records and smoking apparatus that was also important in my crowd in the 70s:D

l_f00187ffe0fe48ac8dc6104d7b31b58c.jpg


l_0e4d4f9d9fd64a108ab228ddc9f945a0.jpg


l_a9dbc6a09be745069cee424915c6c96b.jpg


l_7f047d8e2b6e4acfa2bf352ab7563688.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Record and Tape Collectors in Baltimore. Their Cold Spring Lane store was right across the street from Soundscape.
 
platterpuss records in cleveland, ohio and wax stax in cleveland ohio..... so many closed. but recently 3 new ones opened. i am still looking to open one! looking at store fronts now. funny...i already have the stock. i think i am sick having over 10,000 lp's lol
 
Not a record store, but a store that sold records.

E. J. Korvette [Korvettes]

Wow, what a blast from the past!
Mine was Rose Records. I believe they were in the Chicago area only but I don't know for sure.
In later, non vinyl years, Tower Records.
 
Here is the Band The Runaways at the canoga park CA store

l_45f2d6987328435e946546e407df8c6f.jpg


and th Ramones at the same store

l_cbe2b2c42c7a4881b0261f2b6d3001ff.jpg



and another of the Runaways gotta love Joan Jett

l_f3de93c46baf41f6b978f07305cc1fbb.jpg
 
Last edited:
Wow, what a blast from the past!
Mine was Rose Records. I believe they were in the Chicago area only but I don't know for sure.
In later, non vinyl years, Tower Records.

Yep I remember Rose Records living in Chicago. They had their Store on Wabash Ave. in the Loop, and had two floors of Records. I remember buying lots of Quad LP's, and I think even bought my first MFSL there "The Doors". Still got it, and still mint condition, I think even for a short while they even had R2R, and some quad R2R Tapes.

Very sad when that all went belly up. Mark
 
they were the same age as me ,I think I bought their records more to look at them than listen to the music..LOL

Boy Joan Jett was an angry Lesbian all the way back then, thats old school!

Funny how when record stores were still mainstream I bought most through record clubs. Anyone from Cleveland/Lakewood Ohio ever go to Chris's warped records? I met King Diamond, Ice T, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Gwar, Primus, Fugazi and others at that store.
 
Eucalyptus Records & Tapes- Nice selection, always had something good playing on the (very nice) house system when you walked in, had incense burning. Old-school store (for the era).

Eli's- When you walk in, you smell that fresh vinyl and it smells good enough to eat!! The first thing you see is the "Top 10" on sale for $5.99. If you were into top 40 or pop, it was cool to get it for $5.99 @ Eli's. New-school decor etc.

I miss them dearly... however, I am an idiot for never going into "4000 holes". They have been here for 20 years and I just recently visited for the first time. They have tons of contemporary jazz / fusion that I lust for :smoke:.
 
Flipside Records on Foster Ave. in Chicago. Not only the best records in town but the finest selection of rock tees I've seen before or since. :thmbsp:
 
I have a tie. I probably spent equal time at both spots. Paperback Booksmith + Harry's Music :thmbsp:
 
Here is the Band The Runaways at the canoga park CA store

l_45f2d6987328435e946546e407df8c6f.jpg


and th Ramones at the same store

l_cbe2b2c42c7a4881b0261f2b6d3001ff.jpg



and another of the Runaways gotta love Joan Jett

l_f3de93c46baf41f6b978f07305cc1fbb.jpg


Not on topic but did you use the U - tape a tape store on Topanga Canyon Blvd to make your own custom 4 and 8 track tapes.
 
We had Korvettes here in PA as well. What was so great was every week they had a different label on sale (Reprise, WB, etc). About four times a year they'd have their all label sale. That was the time to go nuts.
 
When I was living in Charleston SC, two brothers had two locations of a Record Store named Sunloft and Son of Sunloft. They had a very good selection. They later got into selling audio gear, and I was the bane of their existence!

When I lived in Wilmington NC, it was a place named School Kid Records. Good selection as well and good prices. I also picked up a girlfriend there for a short while!
 
Back
Top Bottom