• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

what was your favorite record store that is no more

The best record store I have EVER been in was the Peaches Records & Tapes on Camp Bowie Blvd., Fort Worth, TX. They have been gone a long time now.
 
Bonifant Books in Wheaton,MD. I found some GREAT stuff there before it closed a year or so ago. Got a Tangerine Dream original pressing, Kraftwerk, tons of cool stuff.
 
Peaches Records and Tapes in Dallas and Ft Worth Tx and I still have a lot of the LP's I bought there
 
There used to be a place named "Lamps Melody Lane" on Detroit Ave. in Lakewood, Ohio. They had the small glass booths where you could take the record you wanted to buy and listen to it before you bought it. Needless to say
we used to go there and listen to all the hot new hits, and even bought some. What a great place.
 
Tower Records. I used to live in Davis, CA and go to the Tower in downtown Sacramento, CA. Turns out it was the very first Tower, as well. I built up my classical collection at that store....great selection of records, huge store.

Fortunately I live half an hour from three great record stores in the East Bay Area, Rasputin's, Amoeba, and The Grooveyard, which is where I buy most of my original issue jazz LPs.
 
Pyramid. Only it was not really a record store, it was a hangout. You would go on Saturday afternoon and meet the usual guys, drink beer, talk about records and record collecting.

Every once in a while, genuine customers would come in and buy something, but this usually caused only a brief interruption.

I taught classical, and learned psyche, soul, and obscure rock in that store.
 
Deluxe Records on Milwaukee Ave in CHicago (2 blocks from Korvette's) had several listening booths and was very tolerant of young men previewing stuff. My father bought me my first record there ("Does Your Chewing Gum Lose It's Flavor " by Lonnie Donegan). I don't know how long it's been gone, but I walked past Olson Electronics on my way there every Saturday and would buy stuff out of there junk bin to tinker with.
 
1812 Overture at 1234 E Brady St, Milwaukee WI, the original, and the 2nd store at 60th & Capital, Milwaukee.
 
Gerber Music in Syracuse, NY. I would go there and look through all the LP's. all the time as a teen. I loved the art work and would wonder what the band might sound like.
 
There was the "Hackensack Record King" (on Main St Hackensack NJ) for mostly 45 single oldies and some collectible LPs and even a few 78s.

When visiting a friend in Buffalo NY, he took me over to a place called "Play it Again Sam" which had mostly used LPs.

Remember the movie "High Fidelity"? About the owner of a record shop. One scene, one of his guys wouldn't sell an album to a nerdy looking customer, as if that music was too cool to be owned by such a person. But someone wantin g that music can't be a total nerd, though..
 
When I lived in Wilmington NC, it was a place named School Kid Records. Good selection as well and good prices. I also picked up a girlfriend there for a short while!

The Schoolkids in Raleigh is still hanging on, though last time I was home I found that it had moved down the street.

My beloved CD Alley in Greenville, NC closed several years ago (though, AFAIK, the one in Chapel Hill is still open). Man, I loved that place.
 
In the early/mid '70s there was a record store on the east side of Middle Neck Road in Great Neck NY right near the movie theater. I can't for the life of me remember the name. It was the coolest place, total 1970's vibe. Lot's of raw wood everywhere. Hanging plants. Barrels to sit on. A cool girl with long, straight, blonde hair worked there, she always wore tight hiphugger jeans, usually with a leotard on top. Incense burning, and of course they also sold "accessories." I didn't think of it this way back then, but thinking back it was like a refuge of sorts. You'd walk in off the street (where all the "straight" people were) into this great hip atmosphere and feel right at home and safe. (Note that back then "straight" didn't refer to sexuality. Being "straight" meant that you were part of the traditional culture and not part of the '60s influenced rock and roll culture.)
 
Anyone remember a place called The Recordsmith? They were the musical sister chain of a defunct bookstore chain called Paperback Booksmith back in the 1970's. I loved both.

Tom

PS Holy Jeez, Google is fast! I put "The Recordsmith" in and hit Enter:

"what was your favorite record store that is no more - Page 3 ...
8 posts - 8 authors - Last post: 47 seconds ago
Anyone remember a place called The Recordsmith? They were the musical sister chain of a defunct bookstore chain called Paperback Booksmith back in the ...
www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3301016 - 47 seconds ago"
 
Last edited:
HI EVERYONE:music:

Here in my hometown was a small record/travel shop called the The 2 J's. I worked there for a while in 1988 and I absolutley loved it and bought most of my 7" records there. Jean never used to keep loads of LP's she used to get them in when people ordered them. She used to keep a good stock of old singles - loved going through them.

I miss that old shop sometimes. :yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom