• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's Your BEST Score $$ ??

surfdoc37

Endlessly Endless End
I keep forgetting about the best audio deal I've come across, as posted in another thread, and keep thinking it was the Marantz wood cased 2325 that I came across under an awning in an OUTDOOR CA flea market. It had been sitting there for over a year, some guy had just bought out the fomer dealer's inventory and didn't even know everything he had. It was under a STACK of other really raunchy stuff.

Price: $10, as-is. :withstpd:

Took it home, cleaned it up, replaced the dial bulbs, everything worked BRILLIANTLY, oiled the wood case. It left in a couple of boxes (sold the case separately) for a combined $625 or so. Nice.

But the BEST, as I recall (has to be!), were the Klipsch Belles. :guitar:

Driving down the road, tiny home in a poor neighborhood, tucked back sitting in a garage (yard sale, almost missed it, corner of my eye) was a GIANT set of Klipsch Belle oak speakers; filled the single garage door's opening. Behind them was a nice young man with a smirk on his face, on the front was a sign with large writing in felt pen: $50. Got them from his dad who retired to a motor home, neither had room for them.

The wife whimpered a bit, but she had gained some respect for audio-dom by that time; we paid and loaded the beasts up in the truck lickity-split. Some guy saw them before we even got home and offered $200 for the set (tempted...got his number). They were BRILLIANT. AWESOME. PERFECT. They left on a pallet a year or so later (still loyal to my M&K's) because we were moving. Turns out we should have kept them, the new house had PLENTY of room, the M&K's went into HT service in the den, Pioneers now man the main system in the living room.

Price the Klipsch's sold for? $2250 if I recall, plus shipping. Helped fund the move!

Good score-- :beerchug:

Yours?
 
Register to hide this ad
My best audio deals are all of them I found that would cost more to ship and a whole lot less stress waiting for. The heavier the item you can pick up the better the score. :thmbsp:
 
My first best score was A TEAC X-2000R in near mint condition for 30€ approx US 40$ and the second one was a MARANTZ 3600 Pre-amp for 25€ approx. US 32$

Rgds

Tony
 
Except for the free stuff that gets left on my desk at work on occasion (Fisher 500C, NAD 2150 power amp, Carver M-500t power amp, Infinity RS-III) SOME of the good deals were:

Nakamichi 581Z - $10 with box, packing and manual
Kenwood DT-7030 DAT recorder $5 with box, packing and manual
Dynaco ST-70, FM-3, PAT 4 - $20
Then there was this $2 SYSTEM:
NAD 7130 receiver
B & O Turntable
Yamaha CD player
Yamaha auto-reverse cassette deck
Pissed me off that it didn't come with speakers, but those ARE the breaks.


There's many, many, more. Some pieces I sold here and I'd rather not divulge.
 
Last edited:
Hm, best audio scores for me aren't so amazing... Realistic Nova 4 speakers for $4, Ampex 8-track recorder/player with some tapes for $1, Pioneer SX-1500T for $30 w/shipping, although that was about the going rate at the time, and a Kenwood KD-51 TT for around $10.
Best electronics score in general, though, was a pile of old radio and test equipment, including a Magnavox portable (their words, I don't agree) tube record player, a late '50s Zenith radio, 3 tube testers, a crt tester/rejuvenator, 2 oscilloscopes, 2 TV test pattern generators, a signal strength meter, a transistor tester and a box of misc manuals, tubes, transformers and other parts. Grand total, $35.
 
We all know (and love, of course) these...

At a local Goodwill I was listening to a pair of speakers, and an employee said to me, "There is something in back you might be interested in..." Brought out a mint Kenwood KT-8300 and KA-9100 :banana: . Standard GW prices of 15 bucks each. I almost felt guilty... Naw.
 
Keep Forgetting about GW deals... Other Electronics

I keep forgetting about those pesky Goodwill and Salvation Army shops... :thmbsp: I spend so much time out buying that it's hard to stop in there as well, we have quite a few.

But a post above reminded me of another awesome ELECTRONICS score, no hi-fi though.

It was a public agency sale, included literally TONS of electronic communication equipment, phone trunking, mobile VHF radios, repeaters, aircraft radios, etc.

The group started out with a price of $7k for the lot, about a big MOVING VAN's worth of stuff, MANY pallets plus OVER a dozen cabinets and racks filled with stuff. No takers. Then the price went to half, then $2500, then $1500, then $750 and I thought REAL HARD about buying it all. When I did decide to buy, returning after the weekend, you guessed it, price had gone down to a mere $500 for the lot. Packed my truck on the way home, then made two more trips with my 1 ton truck and very large open trailer PACKED to the limits. Took three days to get it all home, 300 mile round trip, the reason no one else wanted to mess with it; too diverse a selection of equipment (some wanted phone stuff, some wanted radios, some wanted repeaters, no one but me wanted it all).

Well, last I checked, I'd pulled about $8k out of that stuff :thmbsp: , and still have just under half of it left (lots of the better stuff is gone).

Need a radio? :yes:
 
The fixer - uppers:
From a friend who closed his repair shop:
Kenwood Model 600 amp $5 (bad transistor, and missing the power supply board, which I built from scratch.)
Rotel RA-1413 $5 (bad transistor)
Sansui AU9900 amp $5 Working.

NAD 4130 tuner Free! A friend gave it to me, needed a power transformer.
Denon DCD-1530 $5 Garage Sale, needed a spindle motor.
Onkyo Grand Integra M508 amp $10 Garage Sale, solder blob caused 8 main electrolytics to leak. $80 in parts, but worth it!
Pioneer RT-707 $25 at a garage sale, working.

And finally,
Marantz 125 tuner, found in the garbage in working condition.
Honorable mention:
Sansui G8000 $50 from a friend of a friend.
 
I traded one of the local guys, who sells stereo equipment out of his house, 4 pairs of speakers for 4 non working Sansui units. Sounds like I might be getting the short end doesn't it? I kind of thought so too. What the heck am I going to do with 4 Sansui parts units? I'm a speaker guy, not a tech. I can't fix those Sansui's. But he's a good guy and had given me some good deals on some BIG SILVER. Besides, I had very little money in the speakers that I traded off.

I swapped a pair of Large Advents, JBL L19's, JBL L-36's and a pair of Infinity RS-4000's that I reEdged all of the woofers on, for those 4 Sansui's. My trusty can of Channel Master got three units working, and only the 9090DB had to go to the shop. The AU9900, AU-717, and G-9000 worked fine after getting their controls squirted.

So, a little bit of my labor, minor ducats for the foam surrounds, add in the Tech bill to fix the 9090, and I got all 4 of those heavy weights for around 100 bucks. Not bad....

I'm going to push my luck and trade with the same guy for a nonworking Sony STR-7800 and a Luxman L-100 integrated amp that, like the Sansui's, has "a channel out", for some more woofer refoaming. I'll start shaking up that can of Channel Master!
 
Last edited:
My best one is a single Polk RT1000I that I got for $1 (US$). The Polk website lists them at $599.95 each, so I think I did well. It looked terrible until I cleaned it up as the pics in the auction showed it as intact, but rough looking. I bid on it only for the plate amp, but the whole unit worked perfectly. The auction said the mid and tweeter were dead, but it ended up the speakers were only disconnected from the amp!, For $1, the RT1000I can not be beat, the powered sub makes movies sound so much better.
When it arrived, it was completely (and I mean completely) wrapped in packing tape. WAF was supremely negative, until I cleaned it up and A/B ed it to show her the difference. As it was too good to cannibalize, I ended up using it as a centre channel spkr for my less than spectacular HT system (using a Sony HT receiver).
 
My 1st was a Bedini 100/100 (great amp) that I got for 50 bucks at a pawnshop… Then sold it later for over $500.

My biggest score was a Phase Linear D-500 that I picked up from a guy at work for $200. Didn’t know what it was worth at the time and used it for a while. Then I sold it for $1400.

Then there was a pair of Klipsch La Scalas that I got for $250 and then sold for $1300… They were nice sounding and had their own amps built inside.
 
Eico Hf-81 Integrated Amp

This pristine unit, with all papers, was part of a truckload of gear, mostly very nice stuff.... got the whole pile for CAD$70. I have kept some, sold some, like the HF-81 for nearly $700. Still looking for another cache like that! :yes:
 
Snell Type EIII's for $35
Wharfedale Sapphire SP-89's for $100
Pioneer SX2000 tube reciever for $4
Pioneer SX1250 for $60
A single Bo$e 901 series IV speaker for $16 and change (bought it to Epay it, its on Epay now)
Bose 901 series II Active Equalizer for $6 and change, also on Epay...
 
I went in to a small thrift, asked to talk to the guy who went over the electronics and told him I was looking for tube HiFi and asked if I could leave my phone number so he could call me if something was donated.

Next day I pulled into his driveway and he gave me (all minty) a Dyna ST-70, PAS 3, FM 3. Free! Always ask. I have more than once bought Dyna and Heath tube gear from people at garage sales who heard me asking the person running the sale if they had any old tube stuff that hadn't been brought out yet. Got me another ST-70 for $4 and a Heath Mono integrated for free. Of course, then I discovered Single Ended and these helped me get my own. Life is a Cabernet my friend. Possibly a very nice Meritage.
 
Pioneer Reference C-90 preamp $40
Pioneer Reference F-91 tuner $40
Sherwood S-5500II int amp MINT $10 traded for Sansui 9090DB
Sherwood 3000 tuner MINT $10 SOLD for $260
Yamaha NS-690 speaker $5
Rotel RC-2000 $25 SOLD for $300
Carver Magnetic Field amp $40 sold $250
 
Like Thatch, someone gave me a ST-70, PAS, and FM3 for free. Got a PAS and ST-70 at an auction for $20. Fisher X-202-B for $20. HK Cit 1 for $50.

More memorable and fun was getting a Lafayette LA-70 (like a Dyna Mk III) for $45 at an audio store (!), and then when hunting for a mate for this rare-ish piece, finding one along with a pair of KT-300 pre's in a deal! Got to drive up and meet the guy and load it up too.

But the kind of deal that can really change your audio life... friend found the giant horns that are now in my basement. That's not just finding a nice something for a great price, that's getting a jumpstart on something you want, but don't know it yet. THAT is score.
 
Speaker Scores

:yippy: Yes, it puts a BIG SMILE on my face reading about all the scores. Makes me want to go out and do it some more! :bigok:

I spent the afternoon/evening rocking the neighborhood using two awesome sets of Pioneer TOTL speakers from the early 70's. As I was tweaking everything I had a news flash: I spent $5 for one set and $10 for the other! I think they retailed for around $750 a set in 1970... :thmbsp:

I had a buddy score a silvertone tube amp for $5 one flea market morning, I then bought it from him for $100 (hope it works :naughty: ).

Yes Virginia, that's why we do what we do... :beerchug:
 
(1) Rega Planar 3 (with the RB300 arm and a Coral MC cartridge) from my local dump for £5. Sold on Ebay for £200. :thmbsp:

(2) Bang & Olufsen Beovision LS5000 from the same dump for £3 - sold on Ebay for £74

OK, not the biggest profits in the world, but both came from a dump and both WORKED PERFECTLY!!

Adam.
 
Tannoy

12" monitor reds- 50.00....sold for 1200US

2.00 Olympus camera sold for 210US.

Any of the free stuff I bought as Non-working and sold for real $. a few times had no pre/main pins, door on amp was unnoticed(Yammie A-1)

enough to support my hobby :D
 
Back
Top Bottom