• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Whats your best sounding speaker Prior to 1970 You ever Listened To

What your best sounding speaker made before 1970 You ever Listened To and Why do you like it so much?

I like my goodmans they are all around best sounding speaker with any kind of music
AR3a, currently own two pair, one functioning pair.
 
I really like my 1959 KLH Model Sixes teamed up with my TAD60 amp with 6550c's in Ultralinear mode. Something about that combo that has real synergy. I'd love to try them with an ST-70 or a W-6M.
 
1969-1970 Sansui SP-2000s. I still listen to a pair of SP-2000s. Sounds fine. SP-200s too.

1970 Sansui AS-100/200/300. The smaller 23 inch high AS-100 box speakers are quite nice. One cap for the tweet, no cap for the woofer. That's it. Pretty bulletproof. Acoustic Suspension, like KLH or ARs.
 
Last edited:
My ar3a pair sat idle for a while. I did not know much about them or care, until I hooked them up to see if they worked. Now I know what a flat uncolored sounding speaker means. Cheap sunglasses on vinyl sounds exactly like the guitar through a amp. I am on a quest to find a higher powered version speaker with that sound. Sometimes i like to turn it up and need them to handle the sansui power when i get a little .....tipsy?
 
I'll cast a third vote for the Quad ESL. I've never owned a pair (or stack) but I have spent time listening to them.

These combined with a contemporary sub woofer would be my dream speakers.
 
quadsnvinyl0609.jpg
 
I am listening to a pair of Knight KN 2250K speakers I rescued from GW last October. The consensus was the speakers were by Goodmans. Very musical, just played Telarc's 1812 cd through them. The label reads Chicago 80 so mid 60's?
 
KLH 6's and AR4x's, I still have the KLH 6's and the AR4x's were given to a family member a couple of years ago. Chicks, I really like the AR amp and speaker picture! I had the AR receiver which was the amp plus the AR FM tuner, great sound! By the way I also had both books, they were my bibles. They got discarded when I retired and we had to move to a new home, damn! I wish I still had them!
 
101.jpg


Home assembled Klipschorns.

I remember, as a teenager in the late 1960's, these plain plywood monsters, and the music professor who owned them. Sitting in the corners of his music room, No grills, no finish, nothing to get in the way of the music. The ritual of the turning on the tube amplifier, the ritual of checking the cables while it warmed up. The ritual of the dusting of the turntable with a very soft cosmetic brush. .The ritual of the record carefully removed from it's slip cover and treated as The Bread and the Body of Christ in the Holy Sacrament of the Catholic Church. Finally the ritual of the turntable, the placement of the musical host on the platter, the placement of the spindle weight, the wait for the platter to come to speed, the gentle lowering of the tone arm, the click of the stylist. and then Haydn, or Beethoven washing over us like a tsunami. I write this as if it was a religious experience, for us, it was and this music professor who's name I have long since forgotten was the Archbishop.

As I type this I am listening to Joseph Haydn's Sting quartet in D minor, OP 76 one of the pieces the "Professor" played for us. I wonder what it would sound like if instead of my Polk Monitor 10B's I had a set of Khorns being fed by my Onkyo in pure music mode with many times the power they would have had back in the 1960's.
 
Last edited:

:drool: ...... Wait, I just wanna' say that again... :drool:

My favorite speakers are the ones that knock it out of the park in the midrange department..... the kind where the bass and highs are specifically-designed AROUND those mids. The midrange is the key. If a speaker doesn't have awesome mids, I don't want any part of it. I'll take a trade-off in either the bass or highs, but the great mids have to be there. Right now I'm listening to the Mobile Fidelity two-fer of Aretha Franklin's "Lady Soul/Aretha Now", and I bet it would sound awesome through those Quads (It KILLS through my W90's... The great mids and soft top really-help with the old classics).
 
Last edited:
Top's not particularly soft on the Quads.
Now, the other speakers I posted earlier - they've also got to-die-for midrange, but... yeah... a little lacking in the HF :-P

604Etest2.jpg

superduplexB.jpg
 
Top's not particularly soft on the Quads.
Now, the other speakers I posted earlier - they've also got to-die-for midrange, but... yeah... a little lacking in the HF :-P

604Etest2.jpg

superduplexB.jpg

Oh, I know... I was referring to my W90's when I said that part. Those have a soft top (and yet they're revealing as hell... They bring out the details while still keeping the sound velvety-smooth... The Super 3 tweeter is responsible for much of that... More like a mid/tweeter combo than just a tweeter). The Quads do have that amazing midrange though. And the speaker in the image... That's a 604, right? I've heard the 604. Really, really-nice-sounding driver, but just not quite warm enough for me (I'm a warmth freak, so... ). One full-range driver I really-enjoyed was the University one that's inside Sixcats' 'Lone Wolf" cab. But again, that's a very-warm, inviting driver. I bet the 604 beats it in detail/clarity though.
 
Last edited:
My late Father in 1963, built a pair of speakers using Wolverine drivers and EV horns.


Steve
Hey Steve
Our Dad's had a lot in common.:thmbsp: in 1960 ( I was 10) I helped Pop
build a DIY Klipschorn clone cabinets with University Classic horns and 15" woofers, Jensen Gold tweeters and University N-3 cross over with the two tone controls on each one. Pop passed on 2 years ago ( 90)but I still have his speakers . When I remodel my attached 2 car garage they will be my main analog music speakers. My den is just too small, his/our (he loaned me the $$ in 79) Cornwalls just do fit in there.
Louis
 
I was recently given a pair of Fives. Woofers need doping anbd tweeters in both do not work. When I feel better, I'll check the tweeters, hopefully just the caps need replacing. Cabinets look good with typical water stains on top. Was thinking of bringing back my JansZen HP412HP and using the e'stat array with then since the JansZen has a bi-amp crossover. Would be a real trip back in time.
 
Back
Top Bottom