• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's your favourite small speaker next to your computer?

I can only do two things at a time and when I am seriously working or writing the last thing I want to do is listen to music or noise. So if I am ,listening to music I do t seriously and speakers connected to the computer are a total waste.
 
I've recently been using Insignia NSB2111s from the early 2000s. A pleasing mid-fi conventional sound. My Elac UB5 in that setting are a little boomy and the Monitor Audio BR2 are too bright.
 
Recapped Ads 1530's with Richard So mids and tweets are my small computer speakers:) I'm presently using the monitor amp in my Mcintosh c33 on them as my mc2255 needs some tlc.
 
Mordaunt-Short MS902 powered through (for now) a broken Sherwood receiver 55watt (amp section still works) using an el cheapo TEC TC-754 switcher with a volume knob so I can switch to an old Lafayette tuner and control the volume external to the PC.
 
In our company office we are using two pairs of speakers which sound nice.
Edifier R1280T and Focal CMS 50, which is rather pricey.
 
At home my computers are laptops. So for portable action I use a Marshall Kilburn. My docking station in my living room is wired through a Focusrite Sapphire 6 USB and my Kenwood Basic C1 to the Philips 532 MFB, in my bedroom via a Behringer UCA 202 and a Philips 3238 preamp to my 22AH585 MFB. At work for a long time I used JBL Creature III (not bad, but nothing exciting - apart from the looks), I have just aquired Cerwin Vega! XD5 instead (great deal, 139 Euros for a pair, I couldn´t pass it). Astonishing good soundstage, and the bass is acceptable when the speakers are put onto lots of damping material. And if my colleagues start to annoy me: These things can get loud!
 
Last edited:
My wife uses the Minimus 7 for her old desktop, still using Windows 7... glitches. But not in the sound - the Minimus 7 are powered by a low-wattage Cambridge Audio receiver - I think 20wpc, more than enough. Started to replace her 7 with some small ADS model, but she refused, preferring the look and size of her white sevens. Okay, if that's what you want, that's what you got.
 
Spherex "xbox" speakers similar to and made by same parent company as Mirage. I run them off a Lepai 2020 and supplement with a Yamaha subwoofer.

IMG_3152.jpg
download.jpg
200402_spherex.jpg
2030636-spherex-speakers-rare-and-in-perfect-condition.jpg
 
Last edited:
Cool and interesting. Never seen those before. The drivers look very similar to some Tannoy in ceiling speaker drivers I need to put to use (black cones and surrounds, center looks identical)
These were part of the Arena surround system Tannoy offered at some point. They work remarkably well for desktop duty. I got these from KrautNotRice awhile back, they replaced some Tannoy CM something’s I was using.
 
Back
Top Bottom