• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

When game recognizes game

onwardjames

Hoardimus Maximus
Subscriber
Hello everyone!

One of the definitions of the phrase "game" is "to be really good at something." With this in mind, I thought we could share that moment where one musician recognizes the brilliance of another.

It can be a statement, a video, a picture, you get to choose.

I will post a couple examples.

This is the brilliant David Gilmour doing his song "The Blue". Just when I thought it couldn't be better, he brings Graham Nash and David Crosby to the stage for background vocals.

Watch at around the 5 minute mark the look David Crosby has on his face. That is respect.


This one involves my man Leon Russell. The young padawan John Mayer doing the guitar lead (which I don't think the song even has a guitar solo) really slays it. I personally believe after Leon says "That's right" in an emotional moment led to his quivering voice just a line or two later. Powerful, just powerful.


Please post anything you like that shows one musician respecting another.
Thank you!
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello everyone!



This is the brilliant David Gilmour doing his song "The Blue". Just when I thought it couldn't be better, he brings Graham Nash and David Crosby to the stage for background vocals.


That tune ("The Blue") is so reminiscent of the Moody-sound that they tend to own.

Just a share.


Q
 
Great idea for a thread. This is one of my favorite moments of all times....Stevie Wonder is brought onstage, surprising and delighting Toots Thielemans during a performance at the Polar Awards in Sweden. The respect, energy, joy, and love between these two giants is obvious and incredible. Worth watching the whole performance, but Stevie enters at about 3:15 or so if you need to skip ahead.

 
If any of you were lucky enough to catch it. On PBS (at least by me) there was the 50th anniversary of Little Feat waiting for Columbus. A bunch of people stopped in to help. Tommy Emmanuel joined in for one. Just outstanding!
 
Here's another of my favorites, and figured someone would mention it.

BB King, John Mayer, and Derek Trucks. Derek is laying down the soul, big time, and you see BB say something to John. John waggles his head as to say, "Hell no, ain't following that."

Then, BB gives Derek the absolute ultimate compliment. It's near the end, be sure to catch it.

 
Last edited:
I'm sure many here are familiar with this Live at Ronnie Scott performance by Jeff Beck.

Well, he turns over his usual burning solo to the young Tal Wilkenfeld. She does not disappoint. Even Vinny, legendary drummer that he is, knows something magical is going on.

I love moments like this.

 
For those of us who enjoy the music of Steve Vai, there's a commentary track with Billy Sheehan and a few others on Live At The Astoria.

During Bad Horsie, right after the solo when Billy lets loose with that evil bass line, on the third bar of that part, Steve lays down one of those "comin' at ya from all directions" licks, and the guys on the commentary laugh. One of them, Billy, I believe, says "Now THAT'S a Steve Vai lick."
 
I think that this whole phenomenon is embodied in just about any jazz group that you can think of. Rather than serving some kind of single, central idea players in jazz grounds tend to be encouraged to put their own personal stamp on the music and express their own unique personalities. That means that these players are always adding something unexpected and since leaders tend to only choose sidemen who's playing they respect there's a lot of "oh, wow" moments when one player takes in what another player does on the bandstand. This is why I dig this music so much...
 
Last edited:
I think that this whole phenomenon is embodied in just about any jazz group that you can think of. Rather than serving some kind of single, central idea players in jazz grounds tend to be encouraged to put their own personal stamp on the music and express their own unique personalities. That means that these played are always adding something unexpected and since leaders tend to only choose sidemen who's playing they respect there's a lot of "oh, wow" moments when one player take in what another player does on the bandstand. This is why I dig this music so much...

This clip of the legend Ray Charles always cracks me up. He praises 3 of the greatest jazz pianists ever, two of which are locked in. Art Tatum and Oscar Peterson are in my 1 and 2 spot all-time.

Ray also whispers to Clint that "motherfucker (Oscar) could play his ass off." That makes me giggle every time.

 
Back
Top Bottom