• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which cart is this, trying to locate the correct stylus.

Dingman

Do you know where your towel is?
Subscriber
Is this really just a "F\FF" and not a 15e?
I did find one listing for a replacement stylus but it was rather high priced IMO, hoping that there are other options?
PXL_20251114_151904439.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Yeah, that's all I found as well - I was hoping for something less expensive but maybe that's just not going to happen.
And that 15X doesn't appear to be the same cart - mine I think is the 15E. I'm not a TT so it's a bit corn-fusing.
View attachment 3633899
You'd need to email LP Gears (or some outlet) for fit issues. I have no experience with this cartridge.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
 
Is this really just a "F\FF" and not a 15e?

Afaik, there never was an F/FF cartridge - instead, the F/FF is a combo replacement needle (bonded, medium-sharp elliptical; tracking force range 1.5 to 3 g, 2 g suggested; primarily intended for all F and FF family models (both initial/"MK nothing" and MKII)), that Ortofon offered for quite a few years. But if you pull it off the body, you'll most probably see, that it'll sport the X-ish shaped coding plug, so that it should also fit on VMS(II) bodies. Whereas it won't fit on M20 bodies, as these have an incompatible coding mask.

Well, and concluding from the look of the output pins, I'd assume, that your Ortofon body exemplar is some sort of MKII body. Further identification might be possible by checking the shape of the coding mask at the front end of the hole for the coding plug.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Ortofon has a different shape stylus alignment pins that go into the cartridge for the different models of the VMS and F cartridges so it’s best to pull the stylus off and look at the shape of the opening where the pin goes into the cartridge. Ortofon has made a universal replacement and many of the less expensive styli will work with the different opening shapes.

IMG_0463.jpeg
 
@lini Thanks Manfred, and greetings from Iowa!
So I think I have a VMS20 MKII version - it came to me installed on a JVC QL-F4, which seems to be a decent table.
Following standard AK budgeting practices, I'll waste a few hours, and your time with posts to find out I should have just bought the $60 stylus in the first place :)
EDIT - the more I look, the less sure I am.
1763144834803.png
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20251114_181547118.jpg
    PXL_20251114_181547118.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20251114_181614720.jpg
    PXL_20251114_181614720.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 12
I think I have a VMS20 MKII version - it came to me installed on a JVC QL-F4, which seems to be a decent table
The VMS 20 and higher are very nice cartridges. The QL-F4 will surprise you when you remove the bottom cover. That is most of the weight of the table, light without it. Don’t forget to put 1/3 or less of a drop of oil on each of the shafts for the operating flippers. Gives the table a smooth, quality feel.

Hard to see the shape in the cartridge, but it is obvious it has the top channel. The stylus looks to be a later universal replacement as Ortofon stopped making different styli and moved to a single replacement.

Didn’t read the AI and Manfred posted while I was typing my first reply so I had to up my game and post that pic, but wondering if the AI knows any of what Manfred and I said about your cartridge?
 
The VMS 20 and higher are very nice cartridges. The QL-F4 will surprise you when you remove the bottom cover. That is most of the weight of the table, light without it. Don’t forget to put 1/3 or less of a drop of oil on each of the shafts for the operating flippers. Gives the table a smooth, quality feel.

Hard to see the shape in the cartridge, but it is obvious it has the top channel. The stylus looks to be a later universal replacement as Ortofon stopped making different styli and moved to a single replacement.

Didn’t read the AI and Manfred posted while I was typing my first reply so I had to up my game and post that pic, but wondering if the AI knows any of what Manfred and I said about your cartridge?
AI did tell me that F\FF was a class of carts, and not a specific cart. I think I've figured out this is an early, non-labeled "MK nothing". But not entirely sure.
And apparently I didn't get the right pic on the hole to show you guys.
I do appreciate your help, maybe I'm making this too complicated? On the JVC QL-F4, LOL I assumed it was a heavy platter! I have not opened it up and hope I don't have to, I just want to get this running for a friend and the TT appears to work mechanically. The stub of the stylus was stuck in the ... hole? and I did carefully extract it. I do remember what the stub looked like if that helps.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20251114_194952690.MP.jpg
    PXL_20251114_194952690.MP.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20251114_194905571.jpg
    PXL_20251114_194905571.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 9
The cart body freed of stylus choice restriction by the shapes is the same for the Fs and the VMS. Better styli make better noise but with limited nails available today anything that works and sounds good is great for a friend.
 
(...) I think I've figured out this is an early, non-labeled "MK nothing". (...)

Rather not. I.e., if you have a look at the rear end of the output pins, you can probably see, that the pins as such are hollow and have a round splint inside. This technique of clamping the ends of the coil wires between the hollow pins and the splints was introduced with the MKII generation.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Rather not. I.e., if you have a look at the rear end of the output pins, you can probably see, that the pins as such are hollow and have a round splint inside. This technique of clamping the ends of the coil wires between the hollow pins and the splints was introduced with the MKII generation.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
You are a professional, I can tell (humor)
Thank you for your help.
 
The cart body freed of stylus choice restriction by the shapes is the same for the Fs and the VMS. Better styli make better noise but with limited nails available today anything that works and sounds good is great for a friend.
TBH, this seems like the best advice. Thank you.
 
This discrepancy with the coding slot shape was done on purpose by Ortofon to prevent people upgrading cartridges by fitting a better stylus instead of buying a more expensive complete cartridge. Quite a mean sneaky ploy. The VMS series motor units were all the same internally. There are some universal fit stylus offerings available (Ortofon no longer make VMS/FF stylii) with an alignment pin shaped to fit most of the original series. Make sure you have pictures of the pin shape before purchase.
 
Back
Top Bottom