• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which CD Players Have Dual Transformers?

SoCal Sam

Lunatic Member
Which CD Players have dual transformers, typically one for the digital section and one for the audio section? I know of two because I own them:

Sony CDP-X55ES
Yamaha CDX-1100U
 
Register to hide this ad
Couple of more...

Yamaha CDX-5000
Yamaha CDX-1030

And of course the awesome:

Yamaha CDX-10000
Yamaha CDX-2000
 
Last edited:
and CDX-2020, and the new CD-S2000.

Denon DCD-3520, DCD-3560, DCD-1650AR, just to name a couple I'm more familiar with.

and the little-known Stax Quattro II had three transformers, i believe.
 
Most of the TOTL Sony ES players have two transformers. Some (like the XA7ES) have two transformers potted together.

The Sony SCD-C555ES SACD changer has two transformers. So does my MDS-JA50ES minidisc player.
 
Which CD Players have dual transformers, typically one for the digital section and one for the audio section? I know of two because I own them:

Sony CDP-X55ES
Yamaha CDX-1100U

Wat is the background of your question? There are countless cd players with dual transformers.
My Sony cdp-r1/das-r1 even has 4
 
Wat is the background of your question? There are countless cd players with dual transformers.
My Sony cdp-r1/das-r1 even has 4

Essentially, CD player output stage is a low powered amplifier (approximately 2V max). My thinking is that a separate power transformer will give better headroom and less compression. I've compared a limited number of single and dual transformer CDP's and have heard this difference, which is to my liking. So, I want to test this theory and also find the models that have this configuration.
 
a great site,many useful information!
ps.jpg

pull.jpg
 
I've compared a limited number of single and dual transformer CDP's and have heard this difference, which is to my liking. So, I want to test this theory and also find the models that have this configuration.

Like in test by invest :D ? The listed models above ain't exactly cheap, but we are of course keen to share you impressions:smoke:
 
I have a Dennon DCD-3300 for my bench has all that in it. (duel) might be a more common one to find around.Got it Free,but had to get one Burr brown IC, got a deal on those 2 for 40 bucks.I shoved both the new ones in, now I don't know where i put the spare old good chip in case another goes bad.

I think they do the dual transformer to keep the digital out of the audio path, not so much for power sake, or headroom.
 
Back
Top Bottom