• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

vintage cd players

ianniele

Member
I own 4 vintage cd players and only want to keep one. They are the 1 philips cd630, sony cdp-950 and a very rare onkyo c-100.Any advise will be welcome on which one to keep. Thanks in advance Ian
 
Register to hide this ad
poppachubby will likely have something to say about the philips cd630. Some of them have DAC chip that seems to be very good.

What's the 4th unit?
 
Last edited:
You better keep more than one. When they fail, and they will eventually, cheaper to just replace with another older unit than repair, unless you really got a good one.
 
You better keep more than one. When they fail, and they will eventually, cheaper to just replace with another older unit than repair, unless you really got a good one.

+1

Also, you said you have 4 but you only list 3 players.

John
 
I'd keep the Phillips AND the Marantz CD players.

My newest CD player, is Magnavox CDB460, from 1988.
Which is why I have more than one vintage CD player also.

Steve
 
Sorry about that. The fourth player is a Marantz 63se

Ah! Nice player, apparently a fave of modders too. I have one and like it a lot. My votes would be for that and (just on looks as I don't know what it sounds like or how dependable it is) the Onkyo.

John
 
Last edited:
I'd keep the Phillips AND the Marantz CD players.

My newest CD player, is Magnavox CDB460, from 1988.
Which is why I have more than one vintage CD player also.

Steve

If you're looking for a rock steady, decent sounding, virtually indestructible CD player, you have to go a long way to beat an NED CD-530 (1989). I've had three. I use one every day, gave one to a friend who uses it every day. constantly really, and sold one to a guy who uses it every day (after I did too). None of the three has ever skipped a beat. The only reason three of them have passed through my hands is for cosmetic "upgrades" from average to good to mint.

John
 
I think your Philips has the 1541A DAC, which sounds pretty good. I updated the opamps in my Magnavox with the same DAC and changed the caps in the signal path to polyprops and it sounds better than my modded upsampling CS4398 DAC.

Jim
 
I will vote for CD63 and the Phillips :banana: I used to have CD63 not very details but deliciously warm, the laser pick is common to find also.
 
I have the Magnavox CDB 630, and love it in my Vintage system, so I'd recommend the 630. I also have a Philips cdc 875 changer that uses the same 1541A chip. They're both smooth, and I can listen to them for hours.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom