I am looking at 2 RTR decks Akai GX 646 and a Pioneer RT 909 .
What would be your choice ? Both decks are the same price
Both are in very good working order. Thank you .

Oh WTH - grab both![]()
Eddisc if I only had your money I would take both![]()

When you say fair price they are asking for $ 650.00 . Is that fair ?
Just a consideration...GX heads do stand up to tape, regarding surface wear, but they can tend to crumble a bit on the edges of the gap (head material is harder, but more brittle). Crumbling is not always the case, but GX heads are subject to a wear of their own.The heads on the Akai are likely to be in good condition - no wear on GX heads - but I'd pick the Pioneer if it's in good shape. Too many potential problems with the Akai (noisy transistors, bad relays, tension arm problems). The Pio is a much safer bet.
EDIT: Oops, no tension arms on a 646...heluva deck...I still think I'd pick the 909.
Happy trails,
Larry B.
Just a consideration...GX heads do stand up to tape, regarding surface wear, but they can tend to crumble a bit on the edges of the gap (head material is harder, but more brittle). Crumbling is not always the case, but GX heads are subject to a wear of their own.
I am partial to the 909, because I have been into and restored many. They lend themselves well to restoration, and have an elegantly simple transport mechanism. You can get brand new heads, if needed.
You do want to restore whichever deck you get. As for the 909, you will likely need new pinch rollers and capstan belt. These are old enough to have the transport lube turn to wax, so a good clean and lube would likely be in order. Lube the capstan and reel motors with some TFE-bearing oil, like Tri-Flow, and lube the capstans with a quality sewing-machine oil. The tension roller switches may be dirty, and need replacement, and the dampers may need to have fresh damping fluid installed.
This may sound off-putting, but the Akai will have it's own things to deal with. I just don't have the experience with them to specify. That is just the way it is with old precision audio gear, with mechanical involvement.
Enjoy,
Rich P
Considering that a raw RT-909 is selling for in excess of $650, and a fully restored one is worth in excess of $1200, the investment in new heads and the associated calibration would be worth it. It is not a DIY operation, since the calibration of a tape deck requires specialized equipment, knowledge, and a bit of artistic "feel" (not unlike calibrating an FM stereo tuner).What the master himself says is all true....but to really consider replacing the heads, well the cost alone to replace, re-calibrate the head system would, I think, be a bit more or far exceed the original cost of the entire RT-909 itself...or "any reel to reel" for that matter?
It would take someone with considerable knowledge and the right equipment to have this done and that's not to consider the time to actually install each of the heads? This is something to really take into consideration?
Then again, if the buyer has this knowledge and the equipment to perform the task and has access to new or good used heads or knows the process of 're-lapping heads' then the cost would be far less?