• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which Jefferson? Airplane or Starship?

Wow, 14 years old! I don't know the answer to that question, but I do love almost every incarnation of the bands. Nuclear Furniture was one of my favorite Starship albums.

Surprised that nobody brought up Grunt Records, an RCA label founded by JA. They were pretty good, but I remember that it was near impossible to find an unwarped copy of some albums because the pressings were so thin. Tollbooth and Chrome Nun comes to mind. I got a copy years after it came out that was flat, probably from being stored under pressure for decades.

Also surprised that nobody brought up the wonderful booklets in the albums with drawings done (I'm pretty sure) by Grace Slick.

A quick search suggests that Jorma Kaukonen did the vocals on Pretty As You Feel, but there might have been backup.
 
My collection of Airplane and Starship. One of my favorites.
Group photos were from about 15 years ago.
Got more since then.

View attachment 3840770
View attachment 3840771
View attachment 3840773
View attachment 3840776
View attachment 3840777

View attachment 3840774
Really nice collection, Carl. I have also most (but not all!) these LPs, and looking at your post reminds me that one of my favorite Airplane~~Starship related releases is the Baron Von Tollbooth + Chrome NunScreenshot 2026-09-21 071132.png deal featuring Freiberg, Kanter and Slick.
 
Jefferson Starship for me , I’m not too familiar with the airplane material though other than White Rabbit which I could never get into and Somebody To Love which I’ve always liked.
 
Jefferson Airplane here, especially the album "Bathing at Baxter's)
The offshoot group, Hot Tuna is also good. (Jorma Kaukonen (guitar/vocals) and Jack Casady (bass)
 
Never could get into Starship despite thinking the Airplane was the bomb.
Hot Tuna were as good as the Airplane.
Jorma and Jack went to high school in the area near me so there's probably some bias. They are still at it, playing concerts together. Seen Jorma a bunch of times.
 
Airplane was OK in its day, but Starship is right up there with Journey as the worst band/music ever foisted on the public.

I found it sad and amusing that the people in Airplane, who started out as all "peace, love, and psychedelics" became the corporate monsters they were so much against. The legal infighting, that went on for years, over who owned the "Jefferson" name and who owned the "Airplane" name and who had rights to perform the Airplane music at concerts was like watching a bad soap opera.
 
A I R P L A N E - of course. Airplane was heavy.

Starship was a POP band for radio play. Heard them on the radio - that was enough - too much for me really. But hey- making money.
I honestly knew no one who bought any albums myself. :dunno: But we all had JA albums.
 
Last edited:
I'm a little surprised that with all the discussion about the various band members no one has mentioned the KBC BAND. (Kantner Balin Casaday)

I learned of their one release in the late 80s from seeing the music video for the single "America". I think I ended up owning the LP, the CD and the cassette. I enjoy listening to this album once in a while.
 
not a fan of 'jefferson airplane' or 'starship' but the in between band of 'jefferson starship' made some great music that i really dig. i think i have 5 or 6 on vinyl.
 
Jefferson Airplane / Starship is kinda like Fleetwood Mac.
In the course of decades the music and musicians changed and evolved to the times.
There are favorites, but I love it all!
 
Back
Top Bottom