• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which Sansui integrated to try?

mcp1

Well-Known Member
I've tried most of the usual suspects -- Marantz, H/K,Kenwood, Yamaha--which Sansui should I try? I listen to 99% vinyl and use Rectilinear III lowboys. I should say, I regard theYamaha 1040 as the best vintage piece I've heard so far...integrated or receiver suggestions welcome.
 
Register to hide this ad
A 517 would also be a good choice. Sounds like it's big brothers for alot less money.

cubdog
 
A 517 would also be a good choice. Sounds like it's big brothers for alot less money.

cubdog
Try the AU-919, more money than it's little brothers but sounds better to my ears. Big toroidal tranny and MC phono input. :thmbsp:
 
I've had both the AU-517 and AU-717. The AU-517 is a lot of bang for the buck, but you can find a nice AU-717 around $200.00 if you look hard enough.:yes: Brad
 
I like the AU-9900 very much. I have one in my basement system. It has better build quality than the 919 and 717. I think it sounds better as well. It is so clean and un-fatiguing, it makes you want to turn the volume up.:music:
 
dr*audio:

In what ways is the AU-9900 better build quality than the 919? While I have heard comparisons between the "sound" of the 9900 and 919 before ("warm" versus "clinical", for example), I have never heard that the 919 is an inferior build quality to the 9900.

Could you please specify the areas where the 9900 has superior build quality to the 919, please?

Thanks!
 
I was going to say that the AU-9900 has dual mono design; separate power supplies and separate windings in the transformer for each channel. But I just checked the schematic and the AU-919 has that, too. The AU-9900 has rotary switches instead of tone control pots. The AU-9900 has a 1/2" thick aluminum front panel. Doesn't help the sound, but it looks cool. I guess that's most of the difference, other than the AU-9900 overall chassis construction seems a bit heavier duty. I do like the sound of the AU-919, I just think the AU-9900 sounds a bit lush-er.
 
dr*audio:

Thanks for confirming what I believed - that in terms of engineering design and construction (the things that relate to sound reproduction), the AU-919 is just about as good as it gets in a Sansui integrated amp (with the potential exceptions of the AU-20000/11000 and the AU-D11 II). Whie I acknowledge that, stylistically, the 9500/9900 has a great "presence", and I recognize that the 9900 is loved by many for its more "tube-like" sound (whatever that means), I also wanted/needed to have a MC phono stage - which most Sansui integrateds (including the 9900) simply do not have.

Of course, my 919 just had a complete overhaul by EchoWars...which certainly does not hurt.

;-)
 
Last edited:
FWIW, it is very easy to convert the 9900 to use MC cartridges. All you have to do is change the phono preamp gain (change 2 resistors) and change the input impedance (2 resistors.) I did this with my Rotel RA-1412 integrated amp. I haven't had to do this with my 9900 because I'm using it with a Luxman PD370 TT and a Grace F-9 cartridge, which is MM.
The 11000 is very similar in design and construction to the 9900. They share the same service manual. The 11000 has more power, that's about it.
I will say that I don't much care for the AU-D11-11. It sounds wonderful when it's working, but because each stage is DC coupled, each stage has a DC offset pot to adjust for each channel. If the pots get dirty, you get a high DC offset at the output and the amp shuts down. Also the balanced amp design is a PITA to adjust, with no sonic gain to offset the complexity and tweakiness, IMO. The way the case is constructed, it is necessary to remove the plastic sides to work on the board behind the front panel, and then the transformer flops around unsupported.
The AU-X1, now there's a fantastic amp! Some of them have oscillation problems, easily fixed.
 
I also wanted/needed to have a MC phono stage - which most Sansui integrateds (including the 9900) simply do not have.
From another thread on this topic I believe the 919 was the first Sansui integrated amp (or receiver) to have a MC phono input. That was a big attraction for me.

Warren, thanks for explaining how easy it is to setup the other amps for MC. :thmbsp:

I keep going back an forth on whether or not I want an AU-D11 II. If I ever run across one locally I'm sure I'll jump on it. Same for and AU-22000. :yes:
 
Hmmm, tough choices, but I'd go for the venerable AU 9500.
Casey

YUP!
Built like a tank, only weighs more. Not only doues it sound like heaven, but it also looks beautiful: You must really see one face to face in order to appreciate its beauty. There is something very special in the functional and somewhat "German" way the face is layed out.
 
I own both a AU819 for the bedroom & a AU317/TU317 in the kitchen. For awhile I was using the 819 in my two channel set up with my Maggies and it was quite nice. :yes: I used it in the summer when it was too warm to run my tube amps but then I found the MA6500 :banana: and it went into the bedroom because I just couldn't bring myself to sell it. You don't see many 819's for sale. Lots of 817's but not 819's. I'm not sure what that means. :scratch2:
:music:
 
Decisions, decisions...

you guys are making it tough...717 seems to be a popular choice. the 9500 looks beautiful...this should be fun...
 
Hi. A few items of intrest...The AU-717 is a great amp!! I have one and love it. It has the 'loudness lever' on the front panel (if you play music on the lower end of the volumn control - it works great!!). The AU-919 doesn't have the loudness lever. But check it out, I may be mistaken. Also for YOUR special needs, the AU-919 has some special circuitry for just playing records!! A plus for you since you play records. BUT... I have heard that if the switch is switched while playing the amp you may blow your speakers, like a 3 time power surge to the speakers or something. Again, check this out with the guys here. They know better than I. The AU-517 is almost identical to the AU-717 but I believe it doesn't have the 'loudness feature' for playing at lower levels. Again, check out what I just said with the guys here. I really only have seen and heard my AU-717. The TU-717 tuner is a super fine tuner also!! Works like a jem and sounds wonderful with only a 'T' wire attenna. If all you play is records I think you would like the AU-919 but the AU-717 is a definate winner in all aspects!! Just some things to check into. Sansui Forever!! :thmbsp: :music:
 
To my ear the au 919 is the more "righteous" amp. It does not attempt to add anything to the sound. I believe that is the reason the designers left out the loudness function.
 
Back
Top Bottom