• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which Scott To Get??

tube-a-lou

Addicted Member
Hi Scott Lovers,
If You had a Choice which would you get, or like better the 299B or
a later model 222D?? I know there both good, but if there's a choice
what would it be?? :scratch2:

Tube
 
Register to hide this ad
Get either but avoid any modified models. Especially Mapleshade modded. Keep her stock. Do what is necessary for safety and preventing damaged transformers.
 
My snide answer is "Sherwood 5500". :D

That said... I like the 299C a lot. The 299B almost as much.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Yeah...and here is another, 'none of the above' answers. If you must have an Off the Rack amp, might as well get a fine one and hunt up a 296.
cheers,
Douglas
 
222s are good and 299s are good.. all depends on what you find, how much $$ and what cond. Some are just engineering updates/fixes from one yr to next, for "improvement". you can get one, try it, sell it and get another till you find what you like best.
Im sure the other ###s are good too.
goto the H.H. scott archives website for alot of info
 
imho the 299B has nicer cosmetics than the 222D.....but individual examples may vary widely. The 299B has real metal knobs and no pesky brass inserts to come unglued. Not sure if the 299B had a headphone jack..if that matters to you....the 222D probably does.
 
I really love my 299C. I can honestly state that it is my favorite amp, so far. That being said, I recently spent some serious cash scouring for a decent set of vintage 7591 tubes. An effort I believe well worth the investment but it should be noted. So perhaps buying an amp with a more common tube may defer some cost? I am also a bit partial to the gold coloring of the A,B and C face plates. The D series seem to be silvery in color.
 
Last edited:
I really love my 299C. I can honestly state that it is my favorite amp, so far. That being said, I recently spent some serious cash scouring for a decent set of vintage 7591 tubes. An effort I believe well worth the investment but it should be noted. So perhaps buying an amp with a more common tube may defer some cost? I am also a bit partial to the gold coloring of the A,B and C face plates. The D series seem to be silvery in color.

Actually the new EH 7591's sound very good and are inexpensive. Of course you can't have the wood case on with them in though.
 
Any of the stereo integrated units will sound good. So many variables, recapped or not, what caps used, what tubes used etc.. Even stock they're all different but all good.

For new users, my vote would be any 7189 Scott with Mundorf SIO, Auri caps and Telefunken 12ax7s. For output tubes, I love the 6P14P-ER/EV types and they sound better than my 2 Mullard IEC 7189 quads..

My personal favorites are, a late 299C(233 type), and early 299D, with Telefunken 12ax7s, US 7591, and nos 6u8s. Also, these have been recapped Auri and Mundorf SIO caps. On a side note, Sonicaps have a stock-like Ceracap sound(IMO).

Can't wait to recap the 296 since someone recapped it with STK orange drop type crap caps.
 
I'm starting to feel bad about selling my Scott LK48, I think it had a nicer high
end than the fisher that I have, but I'm recapping them both now and there getting
better, trail and error I guess.

Tube
 
Last edited:
How fun.....if you already have the 222D and the 299B it will be interesting to see how you come to your decision point. All things being equal, I suspect you will have more influence on accentuating the differences by the tubes you choose and the caps you install (or leave)....and how you choose to bias them up.

Good luck!
 
Back
Top Bottom