• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which speakers have you been the most surprised by?

Sansui Louie

Curmudgeon
Sort of the converse of another thread that's going right now...what speakers did you not expect great things from, only to fall in love with them?
 
Register to hide this ad
Would have to be the one's I've built. Amazing I can build something that's ass kickin great sounding... BUT.. I have to thank a lot of people around here that have helped figure out all the math and parts with me..
 
Cabasse M2 sloops. I had written off vintage boxy speakers until a friend ended up with a pair. They've replaced my Harbeth Compact 7s for the time being.
 
The KEF Q60s I have right now. Paid $150 for them off Craigslist recently and didn't expect much but I am having a hard time not liking them. The cabinets on the ones I picked up look like hell but they play great.

IMG_2472.JPG

(example of the model, not mine)
 
Last edited:
My flea-market RS Nova 7b's. I never thought of Radio Shack as "bad", but also never thought of them as being particularly good either. I'm surprised by how much I like these.
 
I will chime in with my Pioneer CS-06's. Brilliant speakers, and not to shabby to look at either.
 
Realistic T-120. Found them in the garbage, refoamed the drivers and mids, rebuilt the bottom from water damage and shined them up. Incredible sound and I still have them.
 
My flea-market RS Nova 7b's. I never thought of Radio Shack as "bad", but also never thought of them as being particularly good either. I'm surprised by how much I like these.
+1 We, wife and I, mix up the stations and there's almost always something new I hadn't heard and I get surprised by the capabilities of this speaker each time. I can't wait to do the caps, should get even better! Oh, have a second pair at home.
 
My office system has a pair of Design Acoustics PS-10's that I paid $70 for and got them re-foamed. I've been using them ever since. They just do a lot of things right for me in that office system. They have 10" down firing woofers in them as well. Those surprised me a lot, especially for what I paid. Here's a pic of someone elses:

20080101_birds_0634_edited-1_JPG.jpeg




The other pair that suprised me a lot I have in my shop system. A pair of JBL 830T's that I also paid $70 for around 6 or 7 years ago. The dust caps were dented on the four 8" mid-woofs, and the grills are missing. I fixed the dust caps as best I could, but there's still some small dents in a couple of caps. Here's a pic of someone elses:

attachment.php




Both those pairs have been in those systems for more than 5 years and I haven't found anything that I feel is a good replacement for them yet.



Retro
 
I will have to say my custom built warfdales I had. Sealed boxes made of teac and lined with hardwood plywood. They were custom made in Hong Kong in the 60s. I gave them to a needy friend and I regret it every day I think about it. The next surprize is my General Electric console with a seperate power amp preamp and sealed enclosures.
 
My pick is the JBL HLS-620. I paid a mere $40 for them, and they are probably the best all around set of speakers I own.
 
if we're talking pleasantly surprised...

Radio Shack 40-1354 twincone driver

DSCN5289.jpg


Scott S-15

scotts-15drivers.jpg


KLH 32

P1020806.jpg


Radio Shack Electrostat 2a

P1020701.jpg


PartsExpress 269-469 "69 cent wonder" 4" extended range driver

P1020270.jpg


Bose 201

bose201iii.jpg


(roughly in order of level of surprise)
 
The speakers I've been most surprised by is a pair of tube era Pioneer CS-A500 three way loudspeakers . They are 94db efficient and can handle only 50 watts . They have a 10 inch woofer , all plywood cabinet with a rear removable back panel . When you open the cabinets they have bitumen lined on their walls . All the drivers use alnico magnets and have the same paper like driver material . Anyway to make a long story short , these speakers have an open and airy sound that I can't get enough of . Very coherent ! They have a wide sound field and simply sound stupendous with my 6 watt set amp . They have a true 3D sound effect . It's good with small wattage solid amps also . For what they are these are a real surprise to me . Love their airy sound !!!
 

Attachments

  • pioneer cs500.jpeg
    pioneer cs500.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 40
My pick is the JBL HLS-620. I paid a mere $40 for them, and they are probably the best all around set of speakers I own.

I snagged a pair of these also. Problem is, I had two blown tweeters and one woofer with irreparable mechanical damage. I've got some good quality replacement parts, but I haven't had a chance to install them. Can't wait to hear how they sound.

Wish I could have heard them in their original form, to compare before and after.
 
I snagged a pair of these also. Problem is, I had two blown tweeters and one woofer with irreparable mechanical damage. I've got some good quality replacement parts, but I haven't had a chance to install them. Can't wait to hear how they sound.

Wish I could have heard them in their original form, to compare before and after.

I've heard the tweeters are fairly fragile, yet I've had mine very loud many times without any issues at all. Maybe they are easily damaged my crappy receivers driven into severe clipping, but on my 150wpc amp they've been great.

They are a surprisingly good speaker.
 
-I would have to say Platinum audio solo's. I bought them second hand for a fair price and they sound excellent to my ears and have rediculous bass from a 5" driver, they also image very well. At first i thought no way could i be happy with such a small speaker without a sub.

- epi 100's great all around vintage speaker especially for its size and cost. Next set i find i am keeping.

- jbl l1's all around great speaker for the price they are going for. If mine don't sell i will keep them.

-Klh 24's have these hooked up at work used for daily radio listening at a moderate volume in around a 7000 sq ft warehouse. They do the job very well powered by a 90's pioneer receiver.
 
Back
Top Bottom