• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who is running good or restored [Allied] Knight speakers?

Found my cabinets. I looked in that catalog before as it has both 12" and 15" knight/Goodmans speaker I have in it on one page. At the time I looked I did not realize that the enclosures were horizontally designed. Additionally, I now see they originally had legs which have clearly been cut off of mine. Damn, legs made these cabinets look really 60's retro cool like yours. Enclosure number KN-1216K, page 63. Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Here was my find of the day. After reading this thread I decided it was a nice night to restore the cabinets and give tgese Allied 3005As a listen. Thinking they may need to stick around a while. Ver nice sounding, makes me wish I heard some of the monster ones posted above. 3 way, 10" woofer, rated 20 watts.

Here are the before pics:

698eec02851ef2a5e1d109df8dd0a56b.jpg


1361c579dcec99d09f956a46461d1265.jpg


5547c79da8143b973d6f7469952e057b.jpg


Then after a quick cleaning, sanding and oiling:

eb9fbb930814b66af8d7c121b833b572.jpg


72506503c513eb673e890f0c3a0f34a5.jpg


438901a4ed576d445d5d89104c8c834b.jpg
 
IllnoisSteve - Just noticed this thread, sorry been out for a bit. Just to follow up on my own little Knight experience - I acquired a new amp (Pioneer QX-8000 quad) and have had no further problems. I think the other amp - late 90s Cambridge - had some problems that pre-existed the knights.

Mine are 2350As - http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/catalogs/1966-250b/ - found them on Page 122. The woofers are EV-12s and work well. Mids appear to be EV as well and run rather weak, not sure what is wrong with them. The tweeters are T-35 and were deader than hoffa. Somebody at some point ran the leads from the diaphragm through the terminals, then used both solder and some kind of heavy glue, so that when i pulled the covers in a vain attempt to change the diaphragms, the diaphragm basically came off in pieces. Basically, those tweeters are done, meaning my $60 investment now requires another $150ish to move forward. Consider that I've recently scored some great speakers (Normal Labs 10s) for half that, I'm hesitant.

Also, the crossovers include two pots which tested as dead. I've deoxited the heck out of them and they aren't engaging.

Whats worse, I've been told by someone who should know - fellow Arkansan Bob Crites - that they may be 16 ohm tweeters. MAY BE. He isn't sure and the only way to tell for sure is to test the crossover, which is well over my head. So I'm not sure if I want to pay the bucks to replace the tweeters and even if I were, am not sure how i'd figure out what to replace them with.

I'd love to get them back to life but they are currently out in the garage awaiting my next move. That will either be rolling the dice and picking up some tweeters. Or pulling the woofers and mids and trying to get my money back on ebay.
 
Here is a pair of 15" 3 ways I just finished working on.The mid and tweeter were blown in one speaker. All the drivers and cross overs are Jensen. The horns are Jensen RP-109B, 16 ohms. An interesting note is that those old Magnavox Astro-Sonic consoles also used a 16 ohm horn, with the early consoles using the RP-109B drivers. The later consoles also used the same design horn but from different manufacturers. I used a later set that came from a curbed console. Both horns worked perfect. The ultra tweeters were replaced with a budget pair from PE or MCM. I replaced the two caps on the xovers. The speakers sound good to my ears, not needing much power. I have about $125 into them, and wouldn't spend much more than that on a good used pair.
 

Attachments

  • 100_0837.jpg
    100_0837.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_0838.jpg
    100_0838.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 70
I recently picked up a set of kn812a and kn812 in KN cabs from around 1959 I believe.I like them quite a bit in the limited listening so far with a Sherwood s7100a.There is a recent thread in the speaker forum with pics.
 
One DECADE later, today, I found an (unreal) nearly pristine pair of KNIGHT 2390's (three way) for forty dollars the pair! I could not believe my Eyes how beautiful the Cabinets/Grills (badges and all).

I lifted one Speaker and could tell it was a robust Speaker of about forty pounds. I figured these (late 50's early 60's ?) KNIGHT Speakers were worth the gamble of purchasing (especially considering their extraordinary condition). Once home (after brushing off a bit of dust) I remove the Grills not having any idea what I would find in the way of Drivers.

I was praying that the Driver's surrounds were not Foam surrounds (thank God, they were not Foam). The surrounds appear to be constructed of some sort of treated cloth.
I took a soft Brush and lightly cleaned each Driver. The top Driver is a large Cone Mid-range Driver (about 4 inches or greater). Below the Mid-range (off to the right side) is a Cone Tweeter of about two inches. The Woofer I believe to be a twelve inch Woofer.

All Drivers appeared to be in surprisingly excellent physical condition showing no sign of deterioration. I lightly dusted off all the Drivers on general principle.
Once cleaned, I connected the Speakers up to an ONKYO TX 844 Receiver that I purchase yesterday (also in very nice condition and purchased cheap). Once I had the 2390's connected, I took a deep breath and I slowly turned up the Receiver's volume knob (Receiver set to Classical FM Station) and I began hearing a lush/rich sound. Ooh, good thinks I. I then did the usual Driver testing/Balance/Bass/Treble/Loudness etc. of each Speaker.

I then noticed that one of the Bass Drivers appeared to not be working, ugggh. So, I very lightly "tapped" on the Woofer Cone and BINGO, the Woofer popped right on.
I'm HOPING this Woofer hiccup was nothing more than perhaps the Speakers sitting for too long a time and/or maybe the Caps coming back to life ? Is this possible ?

At any rate, I am playing these Speakers at LOW volume with the Bass and Treble controls cranked all the way and engaged the Bass loudness. I'm hoping to see if these old Speakers will wake back up after having (most likely) been sitting idle for some time.

Ooh, I did later test (at moderate to loud'ish volumes playing a couple of CD's) and damn, the Speakers sounded shockingly GOOD!

In fact (earlier test) FM playing the music of Aaron Copland 3rd Symphony (this when I was oiling the Cabinets) and a sudden/LOUD Music passage (of Bass notes) from the KNIGHT Speakers actually caught me off guard and caused me to jump! Whoa! I was not expecting to hear Bass this dynamic/detailed/low.

If all continues well with these KNIGHT Speakers, I will hook them up with my ALLIED 333 Tube Receiver as (I have a Gut feeling) that Tubes are going to sound REALLY good on these old School Speakers. I mean, after all (if memory serves) KNIGHT was part of ALLIED.

I'm sorry that I am unable to post (my own) photographs at this time. Wish me luck!

Ooh, should anyone have ANY information on the KNIGHT 2390's, I would very much appreciate any Specs/information you may provide. Thank you.

SixCats!
 
Last edited:
Update:- Still have my Knight KN-2250k speakers, playing them in my 1960's system. Dual 1019 with Shure M3D cart with a nos N-21 stylus, a knight KN-360 receiver, a rebadge Bogen RP-60. Goodmans of England knew how to build speakers, sound great, not bad for 60 year old speakers.
 
Update:- Still have my Knight KN-2250k speakers, playing them in my 1960's system. Dual 1019 with Shure M3D cart with a nos N-21 stylus, a knight KN-360 receiver, a rebadge Bogen RP-60. Goodmans of England knew how to build speakers, sound great, not bad for 60 year old speakers.
Whoa! OUTSTANDING Robint, outstanding! I am going to keep my Eyes open for other KNIGHT/ALLIED and Lafayette Speakers in hopes of finding some nice Goodman Drivers.
Hey, it could happen lol.

OK, today's update. I let the KNIGHT 2390's play (mostly on Classical FM) for a good twenty four hours. They were playing/sounding great. I could no long wait and I (not easy) lugged these (about forty pound) Speakers up stairs to my Audio Room. I decided to hook them up to my FISHER 400 Tube Receiver (25 Watts per channel).

I made sure to change the Ohm connectors on the FISHER from 4 Ohms (EMI 529 DLS Speakers) to 8 Ohms for the KNIGHT Speakers.
I started a CD of some well recorded Jazz (Parker's Mood) and slowly turned the Volume knob up on the FISHER.

Ugggh, the music sounded odd. I quickly realized that the one Woofer (once again) wasn't playing! So, I did basically the same thing I did the other day when this happened, I lightly tapped/pushed on the Woofer Cone and BINGO! The Bass popped right back on and is playing fine now. I'm wondering if after sixty years that there may be some binding/freeze spot on/in the Cone and Basket due to years of gravity causing some sagging ?

At any rate, I decided to FLIP the Speakers over and run them upside down (which the Woofers are working fine). Perhaps gravity working in the opposite direction might help the Woofers ? I figure it can't hurt to try it out for awhile. Of course, I won't achieve the best sound upside down but, it'll be ok for the time being.

Ooh, I must confess, I am a little bit disappointed that the KNIGHT 2390's are not quite as sensitive as I had hoped. This is to say, the 2390's DO sound quite lovely with my FISHER 400 Tube Receiver however, I found myself having to set the volume control straight up (12:00) in order to reach a (dynamic) loud'ish volume. A lil' bit more of a turn on the volume knob and it's plenty loud. Presently, I am playing with the volume about 9:00 and (now that I think about it) it's playing and sounding GREAT!

This setting (9:00) is a more realistic SANE listening volume so, perhaps, the 2390's ARE more sensitive than I first thought. Regardless, the sound is lovely and these KNIGHT 2390's may be the best forty dollars (a pair) of vintage Speakers I've purchased in a long time.

If anyone would like to comment/advise regarding the Woofer issue, I'd welcome your thoughts. Thank you.

SixCats!
 
I also play my Knights upside down, mainly because they are stacked on a pair of Fried R lli speakers, my solid state system. This keeps the tweeters at ear level. Yesterday I was playing lp's on the Dual 1019 and had the volume at 12, but after a while had to reduce volume to 9. I assume this was because the tubes warmed up.
 
I also play my Knights upside down, mainly because they are stacked on a pair of Fried R lli speakers, my solid state system. This keeps the tweeters at ear level. Yesterday I was playing lp's on the Dual 1019 and had the volume at 12, but after a while had to reduce volume to 9. I assume this was because the tubes warmed up.
Good deal Robint. I've never heard Fried Speakers although I've read that they are very good! One day, perhaps I find a pair of Fried Speakers..
Since I have set my 2390's upside down, I was able to nicely oil the Speaker's bottoms. I have now stacked my EMI 529 DLS Speakers on top of the Knights.

Thus far, the KNIGHTS are playing well with no Bass/Woofer issues. Perhaps gravity is working it magic! Ooh, I also tightened a few loose screws on the Woofers and maybe that will help and future issues.

Well, I reconnected my FISHER 400 back up to the EMI's (as I have done for the last five years). I LOVE my EMI's.

At any rate, I've disconnected my JBL L-100 Century (at the Speaker terminals) and connected the wires to the Knight Speakers which in turn is connected to my Classic Nakamichi TA-2A (Nelson Pass Stasis) Tuner/Amp. While it's a bit too early to tell for sure, I think the Knights may perform a bit better using a Sand Amp having a bit more sharpness/detail. Either way, Sand or Glass, the sound is very good (albeit different). I enjoy using both Amps.

All I need now is to buy some more Speaker Wire so I have the option of running my L-100's (on the B section Speaker connectors) of the Nakamachi Amp.

I admit, it's getting a bit crowded/congested with all these (and other) Speaker(s) set up. My Audio Room is beginning to look like an Old School Hi-Fi Store lol.

Ooh what the heck, I'm having fun!

SixCats!
 
Last edited:
Good deal Robint. I've never heard Fried Speakers although I've read that they are very good! One day, perhaps I find a pair of Fried Speakers..
Since I have set my 2390's upside down, I was able to nicely oil the Speaker's bottoms. I have now stacked my EMI 529 DLS Speakers on top of the Knights.

Thus far, the KNIGHTS are playing well with no Bass/Woofer issues. Perhaps gravity is working it magic! Ooh, I also tightened a few loose screws on the Woofers and maybe that will help and future issues.

Well, I reconnected my FISHER 400 back up to the EMI's (as I have done for the last five years). I LOVE my EMI's.

At any rate, I've disconnected my JBL L-100 Century (at the Speaker terminals) and connected the wires to the Knight Speakers which in turn is connected to my Classic Nakamichi TA-2A (Nelson Pass Stasis) Tuner/Amp. While it's a bit too early to tell for sure, I think the Knights may perform a bit better using a Sand Amp having a bit more sharpness/detail. Either way, Sand or Glass, the sound is very good (albeit different). I enjoy using both Amps.

All I need now is to buy some more Speaker Wire so I have the option of running my L-100's (on the B section Speaker connectors) of the Nakamachi Amp.

I admit, it's getting a bit crowded/congested with all these (and other) Speaker(s) set up. My Audio Room is beginning to look like an Old School Hi-Fi Store lol.

Ooh what the heck, I'm having fun!

SixCats!
Ah! Thanks to a fellow Audio member on Facebook, I was provided with the following information. This KNIGHT 2390 is circa 1968 and according to the ALLIED RADIO Catalog, it was considered their BEST Bookshelf Speaker (if one considers forty pounds a Bookshelf Speaker). The detailed information of the 2390 is on page 62 of the Catalog. Very interesting. It has been suggested (not mentioned in the Catalog) that the Drivers are most likely either JENSEN or UTAH. Either way, according to the Catalog, the Drivers seem to be pretty seriously made drivers for the day. https://www.alliedcatalogs.com/flipbook/1968_allied_radio_catalog.html

SixCats!
 
As long as you are having fun that's all that matters! My Knights were bottom of the range for thin line speakers. It's amazing that Allied Radio could have speakers built by Goodmans and shipped to the USA and sell them for $58. If you can find a code on your speakers you will find out who built them. I have just moved in with my daughter and had to condense my systems down. So my hifi and audio system are in the same room. I bought a switch box from Amazon and in my case use 2 amps into the Fried's. I also use another switch box for my 60's systems. Garrard Type A into Knight KN 78b, a rebadge Grommes unit into the KN 2250K plus the Dual 1019 into the Knight KN 360 into the same speakers. The 2250 only appeared in the 1964 catalog and also the KN 360 and Bogen RP 60. It's strange that Bogen built both units and allowed Allied to undercut their brand name unit.

Continue to have fun!
 
As long as you are having fun that's all that matters! My Knights were bottom of the range for thin line speakers. It's amazing that Allied Radio could have speakers built by Goodmans and shipped to the USA and sell them for $58. If you can find a code on your speakers you will find out who built them. I have just moved in with my daughter and had to condense my systems down. So my hifi and audio system are in the same room. I bought a switch box from Amazon and in my case use 2 amps into the Fried's. I also use another switch box for my 60's systems. Garrard Type A into Knight KN 78b, a rebadge Grommes unit into the KN 2250K plus the Dual 1019 into the Knight KN 360 into the same speakers. The 2250 only appeared in the 1964 catalog and also the KN 360 and Bogen RP 60. It's strange that Bogen built both units and allowed Allied to undercut their brand name unit.

Continue to have fun!
Hi Robint. It sounds as if you're very much enjoying your (condense systems). I agree with you Robint, if one is not having fun with the hobby, why bother. Ooh, much too my surprise, the Knight 2390 ARE more sensitive than I first realized (which is a good thing). Ooh, today, I thought one of the 2390's Woofers was having issues. After much checking, I now believe the problem was actually with my Nakamichi TA-2A Tuner/Amp. At any rate, I (once again) rearranged the 2390's (this time) moved to my (other side of the Audio Room system) and I proceeded to connected the Knights up to my ALLIED 333 Tube Receiver (el 84) of about 13 Watts per channel. I usually just listen using the FM Tuner (with it's ultra cool Magic Eye tube) and leave the station set to my local NPR Classical Music FM Station. So far, the combo of the Knights and Allied 333 are very nice indeed. I listen to this system mostly for background Music (lower volume) listening. I think the Knight 2390's will do very well in this role.
Oh, now when time permits, I'm going to have to test/check out the Nakamichi Tuner/Amp to see if IT has an issue. Hopefully, it just got a bit too hot/overheated due to my having stacked too much Audio gear (CD Player/FM Tuner) on top of the Amp and didn't allow the Amp to have enough venting/air circulation.

SixCats!
 
It did probably overheat, I put a cd player near a valve receiver and it stopped reading. Moved it to a different position and it is working perfectly.
 
Old thread but hoping for some help. I have a pair of Allied 2370k speakers that my dad bought new in the late 60s. I was shocked at the weight. Slightly less than my Klipsch Heresy speakers. I do not have much information or data about these speakers. I think he bought them at radio shack. From what little I have been able to find, they seem like decent speakers.

Cosmetically they are in fantastic shape. I hooked them up and they work. However the brilliance and presence knobs need cleaning as any adjustment results in distortion and a very nonlinear change. I am sure that everything is original as well. So, crossovers are in need of upgrading. Any information or links to information on the crossovers for the 2370k would be greatly appreciated. Will likely replace internal wiring once I open them up.
 
Old thread but hoping for some help. I have a pair of Allied 2370k speakers that my dad bought new in the late 60s. I was shocked at the weight. Slightly less than my Klipsch Heresy speakers. I do not have much information or data about these speakers. I think he bought them at radio shack. From what little I have been able to find, they seem like decent speakers.

Cosmetically they are in fantastic shape. I hooked them up and they work. However the brilliance and presence knobs need cleaning as any adjustment results in distortion and a very nonlinear change. I am sure that everything is original as well. So, crossovers are in need of upgrading. Any information or links to information on the crossovers for the 2370k would be greatly appreciated. Will likely replace internal wiring once I open them up.
Here's the original ad for your speaker, might be helpful in finding a replacement pot if you can't get yours clean. I'd try using some deoxit in them to see if they clean up ok. These were probably one of the best speakers you could get from Allied at the time, considering they were a kit, and only slightly cheaper than an already assembled AR-2ax
 

Attachments

  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    375.3 KB · Views: 13
Appreciate it. I think I can get those cleaned up. Haven’t used deoxit but will try it out. Once I know about the crossover rebuild, I will open them up and do everything at the same time.
 
Appreciate it. I think I can get those cleaned up. Haven’t used deoxit but will try it out. Once I know about the crossover rebuild, I will open them up and do everything at the same time.
I'd really like to see a few photos of these, I'm interested to see what horns they used and why they were so costly.
 
Back
Top Bottom