• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who is running good or restored [Allied] Knight speakers?

illinoisteve

Super Member
Who is running good or restored [Allied] Knight speakers, particularly 1960-early 1970s models? Who else has owned some of these before.

There are a smattering of threads/posts (some recently) about this brand, both sold complete and in some cases as kits, by Allied Electronics. Many of those threads are of the what the heck are these, should I have passed up these, look what's inside these, and how do you fix these varieties--some with few responses, some with discouraging responses. Though a few comments are more positive.

I'm wondering what currently active AKers might have both experience and some kind of appreciation (even if largely historical) about the variety of speakers offered under this brand during the period mentioned????

Here's a link to a page from the 1964 Allied catalog, describing a speaker model that clearly is trying to fulfill a variety of musical and decor needs:

http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/catalogs/1964-230/pages//171.jpg

Stereo was still new. The question of how to fit two speakers, separate from one's record player somewhere in the living room was an issue on customer's minds. How do you make a big sounding speaker system that is still compact? Maybe the "Thin-line" 2275 was the way..... Hmmm?

I hope current and former owners of Knight speakers will offer a lot of specifics and even pictures about theirs.
 
Register to hide this ad
Interesting that you have not got any replies at this point. I have two sets of Knight branded Goodmans speakers, plus an orphan third speaker a Goodmans knight branded KN812. I picked them up off of Craigslist and at a Flea market over the last few months. I have only function tested them briefly with a solid state amp as my current system is a tube active bi-amp system, and the attached crossovers on the knights are going to be a little tricky to bypass. Additionally, I'm nervous about running them conventionally without a recap of the crossovers. I would hate to damage the tweeters. The crossover point according to the literature sound like is a simple second order crossover at 5000 cps, utilizing two caps, and two inductors per crossover. I have not taken mine apart. So unfortunately, I really cannot give you an opinion on sound quality at this time. If the build quality is any indication of how they will sound, I believe they will be very good. The Build quality is arguably on par with my Altec 604e, and JBL D130s. Below are a few links to info I have found. Generally they are well regarded, and the prices they sell for on ebay indicate many think they are on par with Altec, and other high quality Duplex speakers. I'm posting this so I will be able to find you thread in the future after I have got them up and running, at that point I will be able give an opinion on how they sound. Here are some pictures of mine in the enclosures, along with pictures of the front of the speakers I pulled from the net as I did not take front pictures. I have posted a 1961 Allied catalog page in the below linked Audio karma thread. It has both the speakers I have. It would not let me post it again here. Lets hope other chime in, I too am interested in others listing opinions.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=618325

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=vintage&m=170248

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hug/messages/14/142896.html
 

Attachments

  • goodmanstriax.jpg
    goodmanstriax.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 190
  • $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC00071.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC00072.JPG
    DSC00072.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
i recently picked up some knight speaker cabinets with mismatched triaxials in them:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=618024

i'm looking for a match for either of the 2 drivers so i have a matching set!

i've recapped both of them and refinished the cabinets. just put them in my basement system yesterday. trying to decide how they match up with my bozaks, etc...:scratch2:
 
I still have a pair of 12" Knights in the solid walnut cabinets I built in high school, about 50 years ago!! Still sound great,,, Can't remember the model number, but there are pics of them posted here, somewhere...

Regards,
John
 
I'm running a set of Knight 3-ways (sort of) in my console. One of the horns quit and I couldn't find a match. So after a few months I disconnected the horns, added 4 kHZ high-pass filters and some reasonably priced horns. They sound a lot better than I expected they would, especially considering what's driving them.

Pics here
 
Last edited:
I have pair of the 2330 and it looks like they came from a time capsule!
Don't have them hooked up nor have I listened to them much at all.
But they are gorgeous!
 
I bought a pair of Knight kn612 - hc (?) drivers about six weeks ago along with Allied or Fisher Brand cabs and a pair of Barzilay cabs. These are 12" coaxials, 30 watt 16 ohm speakers supposedly made by Electro Voice.

They sounded great in my garage during testing for a month with several different amps.
I tried a Pioneer sa 410 (25 watt) and they opened up more than with my Magnavox 175 tube amp (10 watts). They had not been used in many years and one horn took a while to start working. Very clear mid range and crisp highs, and decent bass.
Tried an Allied (Pioneer made) 395 receiver and things only got better (55 watt).

Last night I brought them into the music room and hooked them up to my Sansui 1000a
(30 watts) that has been recapped with a coupling cap mod and they are awesome.
Very solid bass and much cleaner highs , GREAT mid range, these are not going anywhere for a while, if ever. I would be very interested to hear a 15" version.

By the way, does any one know how to recap the x over? Can't see how to get to it.
 
I have pair of the 2330 and it looks like they came from a time capsule!
Don't have them hooked up nor have I listened to them much at all.
But they are gorgeous!

I also have a pair of 2330's that are in perfect condition. They work fine but I haven't sat down to give them a good listen. Maybe over the winter I'll upgrade the crossovers with new caps.
 
wweigle, thanks for kicking off the responses! It is interesting to find that there are several of these older knight speakers still around and working. You mentioned being cautious about how much testing to do before working on the crossovers...nervous about damaging the tweeters I believe you said. One of the longer recent Knight related threads from jdbleed01 < http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=621205 > paused abruptly after a bit of pre-recapping speaker testing seems to have led to amplifier damage. There also seems to have been some tweeter issues shortly before that. As much as I am getting interested in these Knight speakers, I wonder whether speaker systems of this age/type might need to be treated very cautiously until one knows they are working properly or until they have been properly repaired/restored.
 
Last edited:
I still have a pair of 12" Knights in the solid walnut cabinets I built in high school, about 50 years ago!! Still sound great,,, Can't remember the model number, but there are pics of them posted here, somewhere...

Regards,
John

Maybe if you go to the website I linked for the 2275 catalog page, you could eventually find the description of the kit you bought!
 
I have a pair of Knight 2250K speakers. Original thread here :-
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=399693
I recapped them, 1 1.5uf cap on the tweeter. The mid & woofer run full range. I use them with a Garrard Type A changer and a Nikko 7075 receiver. They are the slim line style and I enjoy using them


Those 2250s are the 3-way little brothers of those 4-way 2275's I posted the catalog page about, also from 1964 I think.

Do you think they still sound like new after the recap, and how good is that? Are there speakers from the 70s you could compare them to?
 
The recap on the 2250s only effected the horn. I have the l-pad turned down as the horn can over power. The mid and woofer sound good. Let's just say the Knight's stayed, the KLH 17s and the OLA's left.
 
I'm going to be taking delivery of a pair of Knight KN-800A triaxials in their original cabinets (and a Knight integrated amp, turntable and center console.)

I'll have better pics later.







 
Esatoshenes, Looks like the beat up cabinets my knight speakers came in are from the same manufacture as yours. Found these in Sacramento, CA. These were designed to site horizontal. The photos look kind of funny as I have them stacked on their sides. I found no markings on them indicating who manufactured them.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00073.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC00077.JPG
    DSC00077.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC00078.JPG
    DSC00078.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
The cabinets are in the 1961 Allied catalog, part number KN-1266. Same thing goes for the console.

If you go to the Allied catalog archive, your cabs just might be listed.
 
Back
Top Bottom