• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Why are CD Players so uninteresting?

These are cheap, got a few of myself on my one day list. Personalize as you like.

708sonyplay.1.jpg


007_zps80cf8b31.jpg


Vir.1.JPG


DSC02753.jpg
 
I would love to find a B&O CD player! I've had an RX turntable, and I still have a non functioning cassette player and a 2400 receiver with a hum (haven't been able to get it fixed yet), and I agree. They are beautiful.

I have a CDX that's not to boring like the typical black box and tray.

beogramcdx.jpg


 
I love what has been done to those PS1's. I have two of them, one heavily modded, another one I painted up in a black/red color scheme with nice rubber feet. Punch FAR above their weight.
 
Maybe I'm weird but I don't even have a CDP in my "good" stack. I just rip them on laptop and then play back through DAC. Way easier than messing with media. Now I don't think the turntable will ever leave as it's just too much trouble (for me; I know some people do it) to digitize LPs.
 
Pardon my ignorance , but can you skip songs on those Sony Playstations ? Do they have the same functions as a regular CD player ?

The modded ones are incredible by the way .
 
I guess they are slightly more interesting than most amplifiers unless starting at a box with an LED on the front is interesting to some people. At least CD players have numbers on the front so they're at least as interesting as tuners.

The Marantz CDP in my sig below has a switch to turn off the display while using it, so you can't tell where the music is coming from. It turns the display back on after the CD is finished playing.
 
Some great responses! Thanks! Definitely some interesting ones!

Cost is a factor for me. I bought an expensive (for me ) CD player a few years ago, and it, like the first CD player I bought in 1986, only lasted a little while. But if I find a good one cheap, I'll buy it. I'm done with spending a lot on a CD player. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a nice one cheap.

There are some really beautiful players shown, especially Mr Pig's. The souped up play stations don't really do it for me though. I need something that would fit in well with my vintage equipment. So far, the B&O fits the bill. I need to find one. :)
 
Oddly enough I don't care or want much other than good sound from a cd player.In fact I like the minimalistic look of most cd players.

Gotta agree, the CD player is the last thing I look at in anybody's system. I am happy with my dbx DX5 and the Onkyo Integra DX-C730... both look pretty good to me but they are in the bottom of my rack so no one really ever notices them
 
I wonder if the "cold" look of the typical CD player is one of the reasons some people think it's sound is inferior to the turntable ?
 
A really good digital multi media player is on my short list of future upgrades. I've been using pretty decent DVD multimedia players with satisfaction, a Cambridge Audio 540D, and a Pioneer Elite DV-45A.
 
My Rega has a light dimmer on the remote. Hi-Lo-OFF. I like that OFF position for the digits. No flashing lights needed to enjoy the sound.
 
Back
Top Bottom