• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

why are the old fisher speakers worthless?

I just picked up a pair of Fisher XP 65Ks; they're in great shape physically (except the fisher logo off the grill cover has worn off, however, the paper tags are still on their backs) and they sound really good. I took off the grill and took out the drivers - the cabinets are jam packed full of heavy duty pink fiberglass. I'm not sure this is original - there are some markings and some putty-like substance around the bass driver's housing that I'm pretty sure means someone's been in them..... I will probably recap them and possibly replace the x-over - beautiful speakers with an amazing housing - even if I replace half the drivers and crossover worth it!!
 
In the late 50's Avery Fisher teamed up with Bill Hecht, founder of United Speaker Systems, to manufacture his drivers beginning with the XP-1. Many of Fisher's subsequent speakers used drivers made by USS. United speaker systems is still in business today and has been the OEM driver source for many companies as well as making their own complete systems. Bill Hecht held several audio related patents, most notably one for the soft dome tweeter used in many current designs. USS subsidiarys include Phase Technology and Induction Dynamics. Bill passed 9/11/2012 at the age of 89
 
Last edited:
There is a pair I would love to own right now on ebay, I am just to lazy to work out all the logistics to get it here. I have heard they sound very much like a pair of Maggies, I think it was at Miller sound that said something about them sounding as good as Maggies. the XP 18's. If no one likes them and has a pair that lives in Florida, I would take them off your hands.:yes:
 
I have heard they sound very much like a pair of Maggies,

:eek: really? I've never heard a pair of Fisher's that I would haul to the house if they were free, if I was being paid even to take them. Just my opinion though. But sounding like Maggies....that is surprising to hear.
 
There is a pair I would love to own right now on ebay, I am just to lazy to work out all the logistics to get it here. I have heard they sound very much like a pair of Maggies, I think it was at Miller sound that said something about them sounding as good as Maggies. the XP 18's. If no one likes them and has a pair that lives in Florida, I would take them off your hands.:yes:

Yeah, I've been eyeing the Fishers lately too. Avery Fisher seems like he was not far-off from Gilbert Briggs in terms of the kind of speaker-voicing/tonality he liked. Seems that midrange-response was a key element in the design-philosophy of the old XP series from their classic era. The bigger ones seem like they would remind me a lot of my W90's (from maybe '62 or '63). Even the XP-10's are incredibly-beautiful specimens...
Fisher+XP-10+Vintage+speaker.jpg
 
Last edited:
I suspect the tonal similarity to Magneplanars would be in the rolled-off treble.

What I had read online in an article at some point is that they're supposed to have an "electrostatic-like coherence".

I'd surely-love to have a pair of the bigger models. I'd love to get the best-sounding one of the bunch, but even the XP-10 is the size of my W90's. Avery Fisher was definitely a big fan of displacement, that's for sure.
 
I have attached a photo of my XP 15s, the original model, one of which has some unknown stain on the grill cloth. They weigh about 90 pounds and have fine cabinetry. They cost $300 a piece back in the mid-1960's, when that amounted to quite a bit of money.
 

Attachments

  • XP15Pair.jpg
    XP15Pair.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 120
I have attached a photo of my XP 15s, the original model, one of which has some unknown stain on the grill cloth. They weigh about 90 pounds and have fine cabinetry. They cost $300 a piece back in the mid-1960's, when that amounted to quite a bit of money.

Yeah, those are about the same size as the lowboy version of the W90's (My W90's are the regular version, which was like the lowboy flipped up on it's side). Beautiful cabs.
 
Well, there's more than a simple answer here.

First, there are basically three different eras of Fisher speakers.

Third and last, anything from the end of the Fisher brand run, during the 1980's Sanyo era, has no collector value whatsoever. This includes any speakers that start with ST or STV.

Prior to this period, there are some very high-quality speakers, and some very ordinary speakers. The various model numbers don't always tell you everything you need to know, so you can usually rely on the old standard tests: If it's heavy, and it has real walnut veneer, it's worth a try.

The bookshelf sized ones pretty much follow the above guidelines. The floor model "Consolette" line are all very good speakers. This would include any speaker from the XP-10 to the XP-18.

Here may be one of the main reasons vintage Fisher speakers are not sought after, especially if you compare the sound to current speakers. The legend is that Avery Fisher insisted on personally "voicing" all of the speakers. Apparently his personal preference was a very warm sound, one that today would be considered to have very rolled off highs. At the time it drove his engineers nuts. So, if you're willing to swap out the tweeters for something more current, ideally with a silk dome tweeter to at least stay faithful to the era, you might find a very lovely sound. And, at a very low price!

I could see this being a good solution. I picked up some fishers the other day, I think they were xp-2a's if I recall? They reminded me of fisher's take on the AR-2a, in a way. Great bass, so-so highs. Pretty cabs, too.
 
I have attached a photo of my XP 15s, the original model, one of which has some unknown stain on the grill cloth. They weigh about 90 pounds and have fine cabinetry. They cost $300 a piece back in the mid-1960's, when that amounted to quite a bit of money.

Very nice, I am going to keep my eyes open for something like that near me.
 
I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd bump it for posterity's sake.

Fisher ST-440's: I acquired an ugly pair of Fisher ST-440's in a bundle with a Sherwood SS receiver. I didn't think much of them because they looked so cheap. Peeling vinyl, some rust, pulls in the grilles. So I let them languish unconnected in the garage for a while.

Then I figured I should at least see if they worked. WOW! I first hooked them up to a Pioneer SX-450 I was diagnosing and they sounded pretty good, then I brought them inside and am listening to them now with my NAD 3020A where they really shine.

What I like about them is that they are VERY easy to listen to, and they sound pretty good with all kinds of music. I haven't heard this mix of easy sound, good sound, and versatility in many speakers.

When I took to the internet to see what the deal was, many people were discounting the ST line as being garbage, e.g., http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120394. I'm not sure I agree with that categorical dismissal of the ST line. I don't think these ST-440s are best in any class, but they are certainly enjoyable in all that I listen to!

IMG_20150724_154234818.jpg
 
Last edited:
They do indeed play music, don't they! :D

If you like that soft, "easy to listen to" sound, they're great bargains.
 
I certainly do - great for relaxing, home office, etc. I've been listening to acoustic albums on youtube, working from home all day. They are about perfect for it.
 
Despite being in NY, Fisher was definitely a member of the "New England Sound" club. If you were not a fan of classical or jazz, the odds are you would not like the sound very much, and the products were considered "high brow" for the time. Then Avery Fisher sold the company, its subsequent owners went all out to bend the company the other way and broaden its appeal to mass market buyers, went way too far in the other direction and pretty much drove the audiophiles away.

In the period Emerson owned Fisher (1969-1975), the line had a mix of quality ranging from pretty darn good down to utter garbage. Once Sanyo acquired the company, pretty much nothing worth keeping ever went out the door.

If I had a pre-69 Fisher speaker, especially one of the big floor standers, I'd probably leave it unmodded - or maybe just disconnect the tweeter - and set something like an NHT Super Zero on top of it.
 
Last edited:
In the late 70s I was the proud owner of XP85s and they were fantastic matched up with my Kenwood KR-3600 and Technics SL-20 was my match made in heaven! I first heard them at my friends and he sold them to me I wish I had them today.
 
I had a set of XP-56's and they had a nice mellow sound with surprising low end for a small two way.

Sold them fairly quickly last year for $50.

I think that in general, the entire XP lineup was good but I have only heard a few of them.
 
Have some xp-7Bs that I've recapped. Modern music they just sound weird, but for vocals and contemporary music they sounds fantastic. Beatles and stones sound perfect. Baseball broadcasts sounds amazing. Rock sounds boomy and flat.

Never tiring to listen too. They've got their place in the lineup.
 
Back
Top Bottom