• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Why are us "cable believers" made to defend our position so often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living in an urban area, I don't have chickens, but I do see pigeons hanging around and looking suspicious. I sometimes come home and find the Loudness button engaged on the old Marantz, so I know something's up. I haven't caught them using my vintage gear, yet...but I will.
 
i'm just hoping for a day when a chicken can cross the road without having its motivations brought into question.

:)
 
But, just crossing the road does not prove that one side of the road is better than the other, no matter what the chicken thinks.

My horses, for instance, are sure the grass is greener on the other side.:D
 
But, just crossing the road does not prove that one side of the road is better than the other, no matter what the chicken thinks.

My horses, for instance, are sure the grass is greener on the other side.:D

Are these horses, by some chance, deceased? In which case, they fit right into this thread, along with the chicken that got run over, and Ernie's doubting squirrel. On the other hand, now that the thread is back to the usual AK theme of barnyard animals and rodents, it doesn't belong over at the Asylum. :D
 
Ok let me pose this question to the believers. How do all these different wires effect the sound quality when plain old wire is in the component they're feeding?

This question came up on another forum recently but was more questioning the wiring inside of the amps more so than the wiring inside of the speaker. In reality, many components are wired internally with quality wire.

Take the Odyssey Stratos amp for example. Internally it is wired with Groneberg cabling and is quite beefy.

index.php


I have one of these amps as well as a pair of ICs I purchased at the same time which are also Groneberg.

It turns out that these cables are on the basey side and after realizing that I put them between my OPPO 93 and Rotel 1052 driving bright JM Labs Tantal 509s.

The JMs are very trebbly and lack any low end slam but are clear and distinct. The OPPO 93 is thin in it's analog bass output, which I voiced early on in my ownership over at AVS OPPO93 thread.

Using this one set of 15 y/o Gronegerg ICs has solved 2 problems for this particular setup. 1- The OPPO 93 now can be used for CD playback without boosting the Bass controls on the Rotel. 2- The JMs can indeed put out more and deeper bass with the right source AND cabling.
 
back to the squirrel and chicken thing.... my squirrel sounds furry and soft even at high volume-but my chicken sounds FLUFFY and soft-...which one do you prefer and why?
 
In any event ultrasounds can be audible under the right conditions. If cables change the ultrasound components of a music signal then they will change the sound of a speaker. Whether someone can hear the difference is a different question.

I'm inclined to suggest this is an error in semantics. In this case, ultrasonics are not audible (hence why it is called ultrasonic), but rather the audible distortion products of two ultrasonic sources.

As I recall, it is the non-linearities of air that this process exploits when mixing two ultrasonic signals. When mixed, they produce intermodulation distortion, with the primary objective being the lower sideband. They should produce another image even higher than the sources, but then, we couldn't hear that either. Of course, this is the first-order distortion pair, there will be a bunch more second-, third-, and so on, orders at much smaller amplitudes - some of which would fall in the audible range.

The technology is quite interesting, and has many uses, but critical listening of music is not one of them, in my opinion. Listening to 100% distortion is not my idea of a good time. Plus, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between various audio cables and power cables using this distortion laden technology (just to try and keep this on topic).

As I recall, the question that sparked your interest in this ultrasonic diversion was can we measure things we can't hear (sorta paraphrased)? I'm not the original asker, but I'm guessing it wasn't about things outside the frequency range of hearing, but rather phenomena within the range of hearing. We measure things beyond human hearing all the time. If we couldn't, we wouldn't have: radar, radio, microwave ovens, computers, cell phone, etc. On the other end of the spectrum (infrasonic), we wouldn't be able to measure earthquakes and other low frequency phenomena either.

Using my way-back machine, I seem to recall this thread is about why can't we discuss cables without being attacked, or some such. That, plus the subjects Negotiableterms outlined are the acceptable topics in our effort to reach the goal of a thousand and one posts.

Note: I did not read your link, but I did read up on it a bit many years ago. If I've confused what I learned then with what you're talking about now - so be it. No wait, I meant, my apologies.
 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

This question came up on another forum recently but was more questioning the wiring inside of the amps more so than the wiring inside of the speaker. In reality, many components are wired internally with quality wire.

Just to pile on with your high quality internal amp wiring post... funny enough, my Atma-Sphere OTL amps us a large diameter OFC Vampire wire and Vampire connectors internally. Evidently lamp cord would not suffice. If it is good enough for Ralph Karsten, it is good enough for me.

Happy >))))) Listening!
 
Last edited:
please - that will get this thread closed. A little sarcasm - yes - out and out hostility is a no-no :nono:

Sarcasm is the language of ****ing assholes that are trying to squeek in under the fence.

Sarcasm is a poorly aimed fart. It just stinks up the room without shitting on someone.

Sarcasm is being afraid to say something.

Sarcasm is for cowards.
 
Sarcasm is the language of ****ing assholes that are trying to squeek in under the fence.

Sarcasm is a poorly aimed fart. It just stinks up the room without shitting on someone.

Sarcasm is being afraid to say something.

Sarcasm is for cowards.

You need a special forum to vent. I suggest you make a formal request for one.
probably titled "VENTERS LINE", or "HOSTILITY ON LINE". :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom