• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Why does does hip-hop get such a bad rap?

There is some good hip hop....just like there is some good country....somewhat few and far between in my book.
 
I think that hip-hop gets such a bad rap because it is stereotyped as the music for "thugs" and "gangstas" (NOT gangsters - gangster = Al Capone, gangsta = Tupac), who are also stereotyped as you know what. It might also be because hip-hop music is often stereotyped as unintelligible lyrics set to a bass-heavy beat with lyrics about women of loose morals or shooting up the rival gang or something. Whether this is true or not, I can't really judge, because I have only had minimal experience with hip-hop, and I can't say I've been too thrilled with it.
 
Ok.. for starters.. in one of those sharp shooters clips I heard the infamous N word... and god be damned if I were to say it.. but in hip hop, it's ok for them to say it....

THAT is part of the problem I have about some of it.. a lot of racism involved, and yet see what happens if this white boy tries making music with the same words..

So as to part of the original question as to why it's not well recieved, especially with middle aged white males... it can get pretty obvious...
Then you would have to listen to Christian rap because almost all secular rappers use the N word.
 
and that is a big part of what turns people off.. how come it's ok for rappers and hipsters to use derogatory words, yet scream and yell when others do? I could care less what people want to call me.. or others call each other.. but for them to be so hypocritical is part of what takes away from what they are "trying" to do... and then we get to the question of why so many dismiss hiphop.... a big part of my answer.. read above.. and it is also a lot of the reason others dismiss it..
 
try handsome boy modeling school.. prince paul and dan the automator. some hip hop blend witha real backing band can be heard from peeping tom. this is another of mike patton's ( faith no more) side projects...
 
try handsome boy modeling school.. prince paul and dan the automator. some hip hop blend witha real backing band can be heard from peeping tom. this is another of mike patton's ( faith no more) side projects...
although peeping tom has one song that has Norah Jones say M.... F... in it.
 
and that is a big part of what turns people off.. how come it's ok for rappers and hipsters to use derogatory words, yet scream and yell when others do?

I've wondered this as well. It seems a tad hypocritical. I think it all dates back to the "Black Power" 60's, but for today's rappers to be angry about it seems kind of old-fashioned, since they never lived through it.
 
More suggested listening

It's been a good run, we've had some open, reasoned discussion on the subject; maybe even all that is possible at this time. I think we may be poised on the edge of the freefall to lockdown, or, at best, the thread will sink like a stone to the bottom of the chronological heap.

Before this thread tanks, let's try to get some suggested listening for posterity in case someone gets curious in the future and would benefit from the suggestions.

Here's a few. Each are explicitly anti-thug rap:

Cee Lo Green- and His Perfect Imperfections: What Hendrix would be doing if born into a world of hip-hop.

I'll mention these again:
I highly recommend Kool Keith-Black Elvis/Lost in Space or Project Polroid. Way out there popular hip-hop culture-meets-sci-fi themes, very artistic musically and better yet, no "parental advisory" needed.

Jussasic Five - Power in Numbers
. -Just fun, quality, infectious groove oriented hip-hop.

I know some other titles have been offered already. If you're holding, now's the time to put them in before the whole thing goes down in flames.
:eek:
 
I'm a fan and have been since I first heard the fatboys, beastie boys, and run DMC. I'm as white as they come and like it an awful lot. De La Soul, Poor Righteous Teachers, Tribe Called Quest, BDP, KRS One, PE, Beasties (paul's boutique was a GREAT album), Urban Dance Squad, Jurassic 5, and countless others have put out excellent rap/hiphop albums. It's music and they are musicians, they may not conform to traditional definitions but then again, defining art is a fruitless endeavor.

There are many types of art and music I'm not a fan of and I might say it's crap, but you won't hear me say it's not art or music.
 
I'm a fan and have been since I first heard the fatboys, beastie boys, and run DMC. I'm as white as they come and like it an awful lot. De La Soul, Poor Righteous Teachers, Tribe Called Quest, BDP, KRS One, PE, Beasties (paul's boutique was a GREAT album), Urban Dance Squad, Jurassic 5, and countless others have put out excellent rap/hiphop albums. It's music and they are musicians, they may not conform to traditional definitions but then again, defining art is a fruitless endeavor.
I used to skate listening to Urban Dance Squad lol :music:
 
UDS crossed a lot of musical lines, but there was definitely a hiphop flair to a bunch of it. Mental Floss for the Globe is still in my normal music rotation after 18 years.
 
UDS crossed a lot of musical lines, but there was definitely a hiphop flair to a bunch of it. Mental Floss for the Globe is still in my normal music rotation after 18 years.
I need to dig out my old UDS albums.
I also need to buy some Poor Righteous Teachers.
I also like Boogie Down Productions and KRS-One.
 
Back
Top Bottom