• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Why don't women get it?

Girls also get obsessed about other things. My entire holiday season revolved around this thing called a "Cricut". It's some craft machine that cuts paper via a computer controlled blade. Her Cricut and the extra computer that controls it and all the little cartridges that tell it what to cut cost as much as my audio habit (almost).
 
Well most of my female friends appreciate good sound and a good stereo set up. Some even hate mp3s!

However they don't obsess to the same levels as I or other people on this forum would. LOL.

Maybe women are a little more sane then us guys. :D

Eddie
 
I believe its true that women generally have better hearing than men. Its possible that they are less enthused by the wonderfulness of audio equipment because they are less fooled by it -- perhaps they can hear the imperfections more clearly than men can.

You hit the nail on the head here. For instance, my dog has better hearing than me or my wife.......and he is TOTALLY disinterested in my Hi Fi set-up!
 
"Sounds like someone who doesn't work with women."
I'm a teacher -- I have worked with women my entire working life, including a couple of years as a nursery school teacher. So no - it's not that I don't have a large amount of experience with women, and its not that I don't know perfectly well that women can be competitive -- we are all human after all. But I haven't met many women who are competitive about the sorts of things that men use as markers to compensate for deficiencies in the actual reasons for competition (looks, physiques, salaries, power, sense of humor (and in last place, but still actual, kindness and decency) -- cars, stereos, running shoes, or what the hell.
Women do compete with each other directly, and also do compete in the same displaced way but with clothes and shoes and so on (which have approximately the same effect on us that stereos have on them).
 
Could they get it but just don't care or isn't a meaningful thing to them. I'm just glad I got a wife who likes music.
 
Why don't women get it?

probably for the same reason men don't understand the concept of wearing 6 inch heels when its snowing... even when its snowing one must look good! :D
 
My wife was never into audio or knew anyone who was into audio before she met me. Although she has never really "got it" she does enjoy listening to music on my systems. She use to not understand when I bought a new component or a set of tubes because she always felt the system already sounded great. Then she would realize the system sounded even better and slowly she has started to understand the unsatiable nature of our hobby.

I even catch her showing off to her friends.

There is hope...
 
I think it harks back to cavewoman days. The women would gather firewood, pick berries, handle the kids, cook, clean up the cave.

Men would kill a bear. They would then sit back and talk about dead bears while they listened to the fire, the wolves, the crickets. And they were happy.

So today, women look for payback. Audio, for example - it's not productive. You sit there and listen to sounds. There's no point to it, from their perspective. At least with tee wee you have a picture to keep you in a trance.
 
It is my personal observation and experience that audio gear for women is simply a means to an end: enjoyment of music.
Just like the vast majority of women I know don't care what's under the hood of a car, as long as said car gets them where they gotta go.

Tom
 
It's a matter of perspective ... what's to get?

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me there are very few women that get into our hobby. In fact I think most women couldn't care less about audio.Like my wife, I could put on some fantastic recording and she'll say it sounds "nice".I thought guys were the ones who were visually oreintated.:dunno:

Umm ... maybe, just maybe you're the one that doesn't get it? Not being sarcastic, just trying turn the question around to get you to think deeper. :D

Why should more women get into our hobby? Or men for that matter? Why should they get it? Reminds me of those 80s touchy feely seminars where everybody gets it ... but did they really?

So you put on an "alleged" fantastic recording. Maybe your wife has better taste in music than yours?

Not being judgmental, just getting that people may have different tastes.

Some people get into the mechanics, some get into enjoying the product.

Certainly looking at the music industry, a lot of females drive the music purchases. The successful list of artists that cater to the coveted female 18-34 demographics disproves any lack of interest in music. Bet there is more exposure and new money made from the female populace at large than from the vintage LP collectors on this forum.

From some of the pundits here who point to the end of our audio hobby as we know it, maybe it is the small niche minority hobbyists who are anachronistic dinosaurs. Which reminds of an old saying, "Neanderthals who need to count to five shouldn't be pointing fingers at female sabre tooths."

It's a matter of perspective. And who's really at the center of that demographics universe. ;)
 
Not all of us don't get it. though one might not get into it to the way out there systems, I quite like my music and stereo equipment even though some of the jargon goes over my head, I know what its like to have a good stereo and enjoying its sound.
 
Back
Top Bottom