• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Why is the AR 3A so desirable?

Double the fun

D5-A90747-CD73-4273-AFC6-26-B6-C4-B88943.jpg
 
There is a pair of AR3’s in New Jersey, not far , for 26 hundred . They ain’t selling.

What condition are they in? I've sold 3's for more then that but in restored condition. It doesn't take all that that much time, effort or money to get them in top notch, restored condition where they should go for a premium.
 
Reading it again, I’d urge caution. Google cl Trenton or Philadelphia ( Acoustic Research) you’ll probably encounter them . From 1953, he says. There are a bunch of AR’s for sale.

Looks like they'll need the usual restoration. But the cabs look good, the grilles look good, even original "3" pins. Could be nice project for somebody but the price is a little high IMO.
 
@GD70 , what KLH model, that you had restored, did you exhibit at the most recent Frankenfest gatherings with your JVC equipment? I am not sure
that there is anything else made that could sound that good ;)

That is certainly fodder for a "shoot-out" next time we can finally get together again: AR vs. KLH vs. whatever other classics...

EDIT: Would have to be an approximate "apples versus apples" demonstration though...Frank's folded horn models coming to mind!
Hi Bill,

I’m thinking you probably heard the AR3s. I haven’t brought a set of KLHs to Frankenfest yet. When COVID is over, and we have the next meet, I’m thinking I’ll bring my Scott LK-72 and KLH Six’s. A shootout would certainly be fun!
 
A good classical chamber music recording sounds live on the AR3a's. But if you want Led Zeppelin window rattling loud they will also do that for you, if you insist. They are still an exceptional speaker. But the high price was tied to a generational loyalty that might soon wane. They occupy a special place in memory. Unless global collectors of a younger age still want a classic product at any price (look what the revered old cars are going for nowadays). It's entirely possible that the market for top of the line vintage gear will not collapse.
 
Adds a little sparkle to the high end, cheaper version of the electrostatics
AR and KLH used early on. AR paired them (Janszen 1-30) with the AR-1
and -2. The AR-3 didn't need them.
 
The Microstatics were primarily marketed as dispersion boosters rather than high end boosters. The big claim in their sales brochure was a 180 degree polar response.
MicroStatic50020.jpg MicroStatic60021.jpg MicroStatic80025.jpg MicroStatic90026.jpg
 
Last edited:
I currently own 2 pair of the early alnico woofer versions. First pair has all original drivers and came with the original boxes and "x" stands. Have restored them with new caps, level controls, resealed the cabinets etc. and they have a great midrange and bass. Second pair had tweeter voice coils that were shot and someone put radio shack midranges (8 ohm) in them. Replaced the midrange with grs 5" 4 ohm units as "place holders" and put in Hi-Vi Q1r tweeters with inductor mod. Must say the Hi-Vi tweeters do sound good...much better than the original.
Just yesterday bought a pair of AR 11's with the intention of swapping the mids from them into 3a pair #2. I must say, even unrestored, the 11's are awesome! The tweeter is excellent. I think I'll restore the 11's and not use them as "parts" speakers.
 
Must say the Hi-Vi tweeters do sound good...much better than the original.

While I agree that the HiVi's are excellent substitutes for the originals, having the originals rebuilt to original specs was the best thing I ever did for my 3a's. Had the Hi's for over a year, but then had forum member Chris (CJVx) rebuild the originals and the difference was not subtle. Yes, the Hi's are brighter. For me they were a little too bright, although I got used to them. But the originals, while retaining a realistic sparkle up top, are able to blend in better with the overall presentation. Chris(and RoyC as well) does an expert job on these for a very reasonable price and I would highly recommend him for anybody that has an original pair of tweeters, even if they seem to be sounding ok after an otherwise complete restore. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that they are not at the best after 60 years, and while a recap will certainly bring some life back to them, a rebuild will make them sound(I'm guessing of course) as close to they were the day they came off the assembly line.
 
While I agree that the HiVi's are excellent substitutes for the originals, having the originals rebuilt to original specs was the best thing I ever did for my 3a's. Had the Hi's for over a year, but then had forum member Chris (CJVx) rebuild the originals and the difference was not subtle. Yes, the Hi's are brighter. For me they were a little too bright, although I got used to them. But the originals, while retaining a realistic sparkle up top, are able to blend in better with the overall presentation. Chris(and RoyC as well) does an expert job on these for a very reasonable price and I would highly recommend him for anybody that has an original pair of tweeters, even if they seem to be sounding ok after an otherwise complete restore. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that they are not at the best after 60 years, and while a recap will certainly bring some life back to them, a rebuild will make them sound(I'm guessing of course) as close to they were the day they came off the assembly line.
I'll second this!
 
Differences in frequency response ("brightness") can usually be compensated for with appropriate crossover mods, tone controls or equalization. But there's nothing that will compensate for the narrower dispersion of modern replacements, including the currently favored HiVi. If I didn't have those Microstatics sitting atop my ARs, I'd definitely opt for the original tweeter rebuild.
 
Back
Top Bottom