• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Why is vintage/new JBL so expensive?

I have a set of JBL L166 that I picked up at a yard sale this fall. They need the woofers refoamed and a bit of other work. Do these fall into the vintage/desirable JBL category? Being an Altec guy I never really gave JBL much thought.

BillWojo
L166 also known as Horizons are an excellent classic JBL. Fix them up, and keep them original, and they are very desirable. Most examples I see have had the tweeter domes pushed in, and unfortunately they are hard to replace.
 
Hint Hint . . . sold my Altec 19's to one person in B.C. and my JBL C40 Harkness to a guy in L.A. both Asian gents. But don't fret . . . still have plenty of JBL's in house for ole' cactus.
 
Hint Hint . . . sold my Altec 19's to one person in B.C. and my JBL C40 Harkness to a guy in L.A. both Asian gents. But don't fret . . . still have plenty of JBL's in house for ole' cactus.
Yes but any with the 15”s and Horns?
 
JBL made some of the most admired/coveted monitors the world (no stretch here) has known. I can get everything I want from a JBL that anyone else offers at multiples of the price. To get from 98% of the best to 100% is a lot of money and very little return.
 
Expensive compared to what? a set of L96's / L112's will run $1000-$1,500. Compare that to the price of a new set of comparable sound quality/ build quality Martin Logan's B&W / Dali etc. the vintage JBL's start to look like a bargain.
 
Expensive compared to what? a set of L96's / L112's will run $1000-$1,500. Compare that to the price of a new set of comparable sound quality/ build quality Martin Logan's B&W / Dali etc. the vintage JBL's start to look like a bargain.
My thoughts exactly.

Compare Vintage JBL to some Magico speakers.

If the JBL speakers are “expensive” then you must be dirt poor.
 
My thoughts exactly.

Compare Vintage JBL to some Magico speakers.

If the JBL speakers are “expensive” then you must be dirt poor.
I will go on a limb and say that the guy looking for vintage JBL or Altec speakers to restore is not looking to buy $750K "jewelry speakers." And vice-versa.

anime_-_winking_(2).gif
 
You say "I think I can buy 5k worth of woodworking tools" this suggests you are not a professional woodworker

what's "absurd" is to think you can go to Home Cheapo, buy tools and lumber and "rival" what JBL has perfected over the course of decades
And of course, you need to start with your OWN drivers - can't just grab a buncha used drivers and plan for new design success!
 
JBL made some of the most admired/coveted monitors the world (no stretch here) has known. I can get everything I want from a JBL that anyone else offers at multiples of the price. To get from 98% of the best to 100% is a lot of money and very little return.
I would say from 85%-100% returns a much, much smaller improvement in sound quality. IMO, for many things, a graph of cost versus reaching perfection is logarithmic.
 
Last edited:
You say "I think I can buy 5k worth of woodworking tools" this suggests you are not a professional woodworker

what's "absurd" is to think you can go to Home Cheapo, buy tools and lumber and "rival" what JBL has perfected over the course of decades
It can be done. Take a peek at Kenrick. They've done some one-offs that never existed.
Of course JBL-Altec Lansing went through many shakedown listening sessions to further perfect and tune-modify what was on design papers.
 
It can be done. Take a peek at Kenrick. They've done some one-offs that never existed.
They also don't invent anything. They use JBL drivers. Sometimes shuffling the arrangement. But that's about it. At some point we'd heard about some sort of leather speaker surround, but that could have been snake-oil or hallucination. The fact is that most of their repro cabinets were made right here in USA by the "Rick" part of KenRick. It's not rocket science when you faithfully follow the original, and the skilled craftsmen involved won't make it cheaper, either. Have you checked Kenrick's prices? :eek:
 
"...and the skilled craftsman won't make it cheaper..." yes sadly that is true, but you can cashflow the ultimate purchase, and customize the look of the cabinets...maybe Birdseye Maple veneer ? or some sort of a burl. But the biggest issue is the purchase on faith. there are almost no places left where you can listen and compare before you buy
Sad state of today.

But we all vividly remember what sounded sweet and what didn't.

I build some DIY stuff based on reviving those memories.
 
Don't be so negative!
I'm being realistic. The OP started this thread with his brain-fart post that he can do what JBL did, but where is he?

He started this thread 4 years ago, I'd like to see how far he got replicating a pair of JBL studio monitors
 
I go to audio stores where I can listen to several makes and models, they still exist. Then there is AXPONA, CES, ... it's not on every streetcorner but you can find them.
 
Back
Top Bottom