• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Why re-cap speakers?

Ok, I'll throw in my .02.

I've probobly read 20 or so threads on capacitors, to replace or not. I have had 30 year old speakers I picked up that came from the factory with mylar caps that sounded great, saw no reason to change them.
Then there are those electolytics..... I understand that it can be difficult to measure health of the capacitor without the right equipment. I have replaced the electrolytic caps on a half dozen sets of speakers in the last few years, it has always made a difference, sometimes slight, sometimes OMG, today was the latter.

I recently splurged and Santa brought me a pair of Ohm Acoustics Model I (eye). They came through Ebay with 5 of the 6 tweeters blown (that's a rant for another thread), I wanted to be sure that faulty capacitors would not damage replacement tweeters, I have other Ohm speakers and I like how the Dayton polys sound in them, so I ordered a fist full.
So I have replaced the high tweeters with used factory equivalents, except for the low tweeters, those are on the way. I did all kinds of A/B comparisons before , half way through, and afterward. (Electrolytics replacements on the woofs, with .10 film bypass - yes it made a difference). After 3 or 4 hours they are really a different speaker, went from mud to detail. It is absolutely astonishing.

Again, I only have an analog multimeter from Radio Shack from decades ago, but comparing the old electolytics to the new electrolytics and polys, the old caps had drifted and one was non functional without physical deformity.

I may be speaking heresy to some, and I may be sitting in the same pew with others regarding my above comments, I certainly don't want to insult anyone.

For me, it is important to recapture that original / engineered sound that I was not able to Enjoy 30 - 40 years ago, that is the purpose for me of cap replacement, not enhancement.

I have no lab, nor sofisticated test equipment to spit out indisputable empiracle data to support my statement that cap replacement can be huge, I HAVE SOMETING BETTER; For confirmation, I have 6 and 7 year old grand daughters. 1. They are not afraid to Express their opinion. 2. They have near new sonic test equipment on each side of their head that works so much better than mine. 3. They (like most children), listen the same few songs over and over, so they have a good basis for comparison. 4. Their grandmother - my wife agrees - , sometimes it's all about the WAF.......

Cheers,
 
Back
Top Bottom