I think the disconnect is when bench techs with an oscilloscope measure a sine wave with 2 different caps of the same value and conclude there is no difference. As said before; if something measures bad, but sounds good, you might be measuring the wrong thing, or in this case, the wrong way. That's my 2 cents.Its not worth it… LOL
I like how folks are experts yet have no experience... Its perplexing to me how many folks just have no damn clue...
Sorry all... hope that didn't just get the thread closed HAHAH
I think the disconnect is when bench techs with an oscilloscope measure a sine wave with 2 different caps of the same value and conclude there is no difference. As said before; if something measures bad, but sounds good, you might be measuring the wrong thing, or in this case, the wrong way. That's my 2 cents.
I've become a fan of Audyn caps recently as well, both the cheap red Q4 you can get on Amazon, and the slightly more expensive Cap Plus. I've also had a good experience with this little fellow;Right the uF on a low end 3.3uF cap is the same as the 3.3uF high end cap... what’s different? (The materials used, and the way they can react to different drivers)
What folks are failing to understand is materials used can cause the driver to sound more accurate. The uF being the same is allowing the the crossover frequencies to be correct for the crossover point, but that does not mean the sound of a driver won’t change.
For example:
A 7uf cap is used for the HF crossover point in the L19s and the 4301. If you use a low end 7uf cap, the crossover point is still the same as If you used a nice cap. at 7uf the same the crossover is still 2500Hz, but what charges?
The tone, the actual sound... more clarity or less shrillness depend on what your doing. Is the crossover point still at 2500hz? Yep...
Folks seem to be confused about the crossover point at where the LF and HF merge to make a balanced sound. That has little to do with the warmth or the clearly of what caps can do.
Yes a low buck cap will keep the crossover frequency at the stated Hz as a top end cap, but it will 100% without a doubt sound different. Your crossover point can be dead on but the sound could be flat.
I have never once heard someone who has listened to better quality caps say “I don’t hear a difference” it’s usually the folks using low end caps or someone who has no experience at all and is talking our their ass... sorry just seems to be the case.
How about this...
Next time any of you feel like a re-cap, do one of 2 thing.
1. Loosen the purse and invest in some mid level caps...
2. If you buy low price caps, stay away from Dayton. Get Jantzen Cross caps, spend the $6.15 bucks on some 0.01uf AudioCap bypass caps. This will prove to you that a cap can change the sound.
Or go with the red AudioPhiler brand of caps, they are lower buck than the Daytons and actually do improve sound. They are more accurate in testing too. Yes I have used them, and have given a few members my spare caps from last builds.
Next, get a low buck cap tester... be exact don’t guess.
View attachment 1666316
I’m all for running in parallel up to an exact value, I feel it allows for closer accuracy.
New Caps bring balance back to a speaker they are not a fix all, good caps will help with better sound. Low grad caps will work but may sound flat. Or lack “imaging”.
if something measures bad, but sounds good, you might be measuring the wrong thing....
I have just recapped with Dayton. First time I did this. Are Daytons junky ??Not trying to be an ass, but I have a few questions.
1. What does 30 years in the hobby have anything to do with anything? (Just poking ya)
2. What caps do you use? (Please don’t respond Dayton)
3. Have you ever recapped speakers yourself and noticed an upgrade in sound?
View attachment 1663912
You had mentioned a singe cap XO.. ^^ JBL L16s ^^ was a single cap, now they are at exact values.
View attachment 1663914 View attachment 1663915
I agree on some of your points but I think you are failing to see that it’s not the just “uF” values that can affect the sound of a driver. You may keep the crossover point the same with similar caps of equal value.
An example/question for you:
If a speaker has a 4.7uf cap for the high pass, what you are saying is if I were to put any old cap that is 4.7uf In and I would get the same sound stage as a top end high grade 4.7uf cap?
I agree most folks don’t test the original caps, some of us do. I do when it comes to JBL a lot of times the paper caps are a good 10-20% out of spec.
I also agree that lots of folks say they don’t notice a difference, then I see they used an equal grade cap as to what was already installed. You won’t notice a sonic upgrade unless you upgrade to a better cap.![]()
I have just recapped with Dayton. First time I did this. Are Daytons junky ??
I too was puzzled by all this recap mania. But it was cheap enough so I tried it. It did make a difference, turning a mushy sounding system into a much brighter one. I had a 3 way Jensen from 1965 with an inductor smothered in tar and 2 capacitors inside a sealed can. I left the inductor alone and pulled out the old capacitors, one for mid and one for treble, and put in new ones. They were too big to fit in the can so I wired them outside the can using terminal blocks instead of soldering. I also checked the polarity on all speakers with a 9 volt battery, and discovered I had wired the mid range out of polarity with the woofer! Like back in 1965! So after correcting that and listening I was pleasantly surprised with the better sound from my 54 year old speakers. Did the same with my Altec's but found no improvement. It was a 2 way woofer and tweeter with a cap. I put in new cap but I guess the old cap was OK. I have no way to test them. They were all of the tubular type, not paper but probably very similar. I used caps from Parts Express, Dayton and Solen, I know nothing about brand quality of these. So anyway, give it a try, it was fairly cheap and easy.Audio has been my hobby for over 30 years and I always read about someone re-capping their speakers. I’ve never understood why people replace capacitors without even testing to see if they are even out of spec. To me logic dictates that if a capacitor is not leaking, bulging, or has not exploded and it measures within spec that there’s no point in replacing it regardless of its age. I mean if it’s good it’s good so why fix something that isn’t broken? It seems to me that a lot of people will recap a speaker and then when they listen to it afterward will claim that the speaker now sounds better. But if you don’t perform an A/B comparison then how can you compare before and after when out of all of our senses our hearing has the shortest memory? I can understand changing out a capacitor in something like a Dynaco A-25 that only has one cap for the tweeter for a better quality/tighter tolerance capacitor. But to totally re-engineer a 3 or 4-way 12 or 18dB/octave slope passive crossover and then say it sounds better without a before and after frequency response graph seems pointless. I’m not saying that a frequency response graph tells the whole story of how a speaker sounds but at least you can see where some changes in response were made. I think after someone spends the money recapping a speaker they convince themselves that it sounds better in order to justify all the time, money, and effort spent. Now I’m not saying that EVERYONE that recaps speakers is wasting their time and money. But I think that the average audio hobbyist discovers “re-capping” and then they want to do that to every speaker they get their hands on in the future. Now a vintage receiver I can understand re-capping it because the components in there are constantly subjected to a lot more heat. Anyone please feel free to give your input.
I was initially a bit disappointed at the lack of drastic change in my KLH 6’s after I recapped them with Dayton poly’s. They sounded great beforehand and great after, but it was not an immediate upgrade. My Sansui SP2500’s were a different story. They sounded a bit muddy and cold with their old caps, and certain upper midrange frequencies would get distorted. The sound is definitely less congested now and the distortion is gone, but I still feel as though the highs are a bit weak. Might replace the electrolytics with some Poly’s and see if that doesn’t help.
Either way, I spent a few bucks in caps and a few minutes of basic soldering, and even if it was a sonically lateral move, I now know that these 40-50 year-old speakers will be good for another 40-50 years. Even if the crossovers are extremely complex (KEF 104/2, AR9, etc.), or punishingly difficult to get to (looking at you, original KLH 6's), you only ever have to do it once in your lifetime.
Yes I am the real Bill Murray. I had the name before that obnoxious unfunny "comedian". So the semi-junky Daytons still improved the sound, so I will live with it. Maybe in another 54 years I will change them.1st question... Are you the real Bill Murray
No Dayton caps are not "junky" caps, but they are not the best.
The are a line level replacement for most speakers, most house brand speakers used low to mid grade caps.
So what happens is you get someone who does not hear a sound difference, and that is because the materials used do not warrant better sound. you may have a slightly more balanced sound, but you wont get better sound unless you get better caps.
Rule of thumb with crossover caps... you get what you pay for.
There is a reason some caps are really expensive, that reason is because they actually make your speakers sound better.
What set did you just knock out?
Yep , you were Bill Murray 7 years before he wasYes I am the real Bill Murray. I had the name before that obnoxious unfunny "comedian".
Yes I am the real Bill Murray. I had the name before that obnoxious unfunny "comedian". So the semi-junky Daytons still improved the sound, so I will live with it. Maybe in another 54 years I will change them.
Actually, I have done something heretical with my crossovers. Solder is only used at the final speaker terminal end. Everything else is connected with terminal blocks or wire nuts! So crucify me! This way I can easily swap in different caps and check for difference. I normally do not buy house brands. (I once had a Knight amplifier and instantly regretted it). But I wasn't familiar enough with the small parts world to even know that.Nice, and I have used plenty of Dayton caps, I'm not trying to dump on the brand. I just know you can squeeze more sound out of some drivers with better quality caps.![]()
BTW jobrewer or anyone else...... I am looking for electrolytic caps to replace some I have in an old VM console and am having difficulty. They are 20, 40 and 60uf 450v but the various websites dont seem to have them. Any advice?Nice, and I have used plenty of Dayton caps, I'm not trying to dump on the brand. I just know you can squeeze more sound out of some drivers with better quality caps.![]()
BTW jobrewer or anyone else...... I am looking for electrolytic caps to replace some I have in an old VM console and am having difficulty. They are 20, 40 and 60uf 450v but the various websites dont seem to have them. Any advice?
I had seen the Audiophilier brand on Ebay but was concerned they would be like buying transistors through Amazon. Went with Erse instead. Mistake?If you are ever in a spot to do more crossover work, go with the Jantzen CrossCaps or the Z-Cap Standards. They are similar in price as the Daytons and will really allow you to hear the sound change.
And if you really want to not spend the $$ but want to try something other than Dayton, try the "Audiophilier" brand.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-Audio...672271?hash=item3628cbb30f:g:xMcAAOSwLsBZXPHt
Parts Express has them too.
I have used them a few times and was really happy with them, they will best the Daytons and are lower buck.
I had seen the Audiophilier brand on Ebay but was concerned they would be like buying transistors through Amazon. Went with Erse instead. Mistake?